Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk Question
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 8, 2016 12:13

Next song on the list from Rene is "Watching The River Flow" as far as I can see this is not a real Rolling Stones song.
Shall I add it or wait till we finished the list and discuss later on.....

Re: Track Talk Question
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 8, 2016 12:31

We need that!

Date: February 8, 2016 12:33

If they were billed as «The Rolling Stones» on Waters's album, I'd say the track is as real as the other Stones-songs.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 8, 2016 12:33

Go for it now, Nicos!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 8, 2016 12:35

It's got Bill Wyman, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger and Ron Wood on it.
That makes it a real Rolling Stones song to me.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 8, 2016 12:35

There were quite a few Stones songs skipped by Rene over they years. Might be worth checking to see which ones.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 8, 2016 12:47

Did Rene retire?

Date: February 8, 2016 13:07

Silver Dagger
There were quite a few Stones songs skipped by Rene over they years. Might be worth checking to see which ones.

I sure will do that...with the help of my friends....

Next week it will be "Watching The River Flow"

Date: February 8, 2016 13:08

Koen
Did Rene retire?

Yes he did.......and now I more appreciate what he did the last couple of years

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 8, 2016 13:17

NICOS
Koen
Did Rene retire?

Thank You for your efforts on this NICOS.
I have noticed you have done an excellent job since you took over for Rene.

I would like to see "Watching The River Flow" discussed now.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 8, 2016 13:18

It's a Dylan-song...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: February 8, 2016 13:31

Come On

So is Like A Rolling Stone...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-08 13:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 8, 2016 14:52

We would have been through all tracks by now, if we would not discuss the covers.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: February 8, 2016 14:55

marcovandereijk
We would have been through all tracks by now, if we would not discuss the covers.

I think we have been discussing the covers all along, but the question here was whether they were billed as The Rolling Stones on this track.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 8, 2016 15:19

NICOS
Koen
Did Rene retire?

Thanks for taking over...he passed it on smoking smiley

Date: February 8, 2016 15:35

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Strictly personally I Think it's only intressting to Talk Tracks over studiorecordings on original records...I have never been able to even listen to Stones version of Watching the river flow'....from what album?

2 1 2 0

Date: February 8, 2016 15:40

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Strictly personally I Think it's only intressting to Talk Tracks over studiorecordings on original records...I have never been able to even listen to Stones version of Watching the river flow'....from what album?

Hm, Boogie 4 Stu

You didn't catch that lineup in 2011 (with The Stones, including Wyman)?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-08 15:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 8, 2016 15:41

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

This one: [www.iorr.org]

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: February 8, 2016 15:43

Beat you to the punch (probably with a few seconds), Deltics winking smiley

Date: February 8, 2016 15:43

thumbs up
Deltics..

2 1 2 0

Date: February 8, 2016 15:46

Come On
thumbs up
Deltics..

Dandy beat me to it! grinning smiley

Date: February 8, 2016 15:49

“When I decided to make this album for Stu I hadn't got any big plans and just wanted to say thanks to him. It felt wrong making money out of such a project so I decided to give the money to the British Heart Foundation. I then booked my friend’s studio in Weymouth to embark on my solo tribute album.
I wasn't prepared for what happened next. I told Charlie Watts what was happening and he thought it was a great idea and offered to play on it. This changed things a lot! I could no longer go into the small Dorset studio, because if there was now a drummer I needed a bass player, so I asked Charlie's oldest friend and jazz stalwart Dave Green who also was very keen to play. I then thought that as we now had a rhythm section it would be nice to do some of the tunes Stu and I did with Rocket 88,so I got in touch with Willy Garnet and Don Weller and asked them down. Again they were over the moon to be involved. This led to a slight problem though. We now needed a big studio and as I was funding this myself we needed a big studio on a budget! I phoned Jools Holland and asked if we could hire his studio, he said NO but we could have it for free and said he would also like to play on the album. He had met Stu a few times and really struck up a good friendship, they both loved Jimmy Yancey (hence Jools’ choice of song on the album). Jools wanted to be there for Stu as well.
The next day I phoned Sherry Daly (my friend and executive producer of the album) to tell her what had transpired. She was sitting with Ronnie Wood and she in turn told Ronnie what was happening. I heard a voice in the background saying "You don't want guitar on there to do ya? Stu was my best mate!"
So everything was set, we went into Helicon Mountain (Jools’ studio) and did 2 days of recording of stuff we thought Stu would have liked. We had a great time - it was a party like atmosphere and everyone regaled me with stories of Stu.
I was really pleased with the results and was preparing to get the album mixed and mastered. I then popped into the Stones office to let Sherry hear what we had done. She then mentioned that as I was doing a tribute to the Rolling Stones piano player and half the Rolling Stones were on it that we should let the other guys know what I had been doing out of courtesy, because they might want to write something on the cover. So I sent a note to Mick, Keith and Bill, they all came back and said "We would love to play on it!"
Next thing I found myself on a plane to New York heading to One East to record with Keith. We went into the studio had a jam, talked about Stu and then he put his guitar onto 3 existing tracks. He told me that there were only two people in the world that he has never heard a bad word about - Stu and Charlie Watts
I then e-mailed "Watching the River Flow" to Mick in France. He got the track, sang his part and it was
e-mailed back to me within the hour. His vocals sound amazing and to think he must have done it all in one take! I really feel it must be one of his best ever vocals.
Bill Wyman was the last musician to add to the pot. It’s a bit strange for a bass player to come and overdub a part that has already been done, but we never knew the album was going to take on a life of its own and everyone was going to play on it. Had I known I could have asked Bill down for the original session.”

Date: February 8, 2016 15:54

I think we can re-baptize this thread title now:

«Track Talk: Watching The River Flow» grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-09 10:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 9, 2016 09:43

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Hm, Boogie 4 Stu

[www.youtube.com]

Thx DP thumbs up it's a very nice version from the boys...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 9, 2016 10:47

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Hm, Boogie 4 Stu

[www.youtube.com]

Thx DP thumbs up it's a very nice version from the boys...

In many ways, I think this song was the spark needed to show that they still could play - and hence do a comeback. But that's just merely speculation, of course smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home