Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Any Dire Straits fans?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 6, 2015 08:46

Don't see them talked about much around here (or on the internet in general) but how good are these guys?!! Definitely one of those bands that every now and then I just sit back and I'm floored. Always seemed like very "intelligent rock" to me. Complex song arrangements, intricate melodies, vast cinema-esk lyricism. Always found them to be very unique and in a class of their own. And I say them even though its obviously really just Mark. What a gifted songwriter, and even more brilliant guitar player.

I could see how maybe they aren't everyone's cup of tea. A little too boring, too much guitar noodling, although now that I think about it Mark has a style thats pretty similar to Mick Taylor in a way. Never realized that they are pretty similar guitarists, so maybe that invites some crossover. Obviously the songs are very different from stuff like Satisfaction and Jumpin' Jack Flash, but man if Telegraph Road doesn't make you feel SOMETHING, you should consult a doctor.

One of those bands that kind of flew under the radar, despite having a period where they were absolutely the biggest band in the world. In my top 5 reunions I hope to happen, most definitely.

Re: OT: Any Dire Straits fans?
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 6, 2015 09:59

Yes I love them they were great and I was lucky to see them when they were big.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 6, 2015 10:15

Nate
Yes I love them they were great and I was lucky to see them when they were big.

Nate thumbs up

Same here. I only saw them once, at Wembley in the same week as Springsteen and Live Aid (which I wasn't able to attend). They were incredible live. I loved them and still think Knopfler is an amazing guitarist. They seemed to become a sort of joke/byword for being boring, which has always been a complete and utter mystery to me.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 6, 2015 10:17

I love this group. Live at BBC is a great album!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 6, 2015 12:03

Yes. Big fan around 1979 - 1985...never listens to them since then...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 6, 2015 13:06

I like their albums from "Dire Straits" to "Love Over Gold" very much, great music for adults, created when music was rather dull.

On "Brothers In Arms" I like only a few songs, it´s their most successful album, but it´s over-radio-friendly and too "mainstreamy". The following and last album, "On Every Street" offers many gems and is not as "commercial" as "Brothers In Arms". I think OES is as much underrated as BIA is overrated.

Highly recommended is their first live-album "Alchemy" with awsome versions of songs from their first four albums. One of the best live-albums ever released, if I dare to say that.

I hope they will NOT reunite, it wouldnt make any sense. Knopfler´s music is completely different today,has almost nothing to do with the "Dire-Straits-sound". None of them needs the money, I guess. So a reunion will never happen, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 13:10 by HMS.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 13:09

My wife.
I don't like them. Drummer is awful!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 6, 2015 13:19

The original drummer (Pick Withers) was good. I really liked "Making Movies". Since then it has been a song here & there. I saw Mark Knopfler open for Dylan a few years ago & he was really boring.

Posted by: FeelTheFire ()
Date: October 6, 2015 13:49

Love them, great band!

Tunnel of Love is one of my favourite songs.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: October 6, 2015 14:05

great Band!

this past weekend I listened to their 1978 debut LP; great sound and great feeling!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 6, 2015 14:12

I have tickets to see Knopfler in three weeks here in central Florida, can't wait!

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 6, 2015 14:28

One of my all time favorites. Purposely not overly commercial (even Brothers In Arms if you listen is not a commercial sounding album, even though it crossed over and became huge because of Money For Nothing's video), a real musician's band. Even their worst albums - Communique and Love Over Gold are excellent. Great great band. They became huge for a few year, due to luck, a great video, but not from "selling out" their ideals. And Knopfler wasn't happy with the success, so purposely went out on top to bring him back to earth....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 6, 2015 14:36

Sure, they made some great albums in the late seventies and early eighties. I liked Knopfler's style of guitar playing. Very effortless and soothing. He's one of the great ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 14:46 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 6, 2015 14:40

With respect to Knopfler, and as they would say in the land down under - " He can ring that neck" smileys with beer

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:09

Like the straits, from 1979 till the making Movies album. after that thet went for the big stadiums and skipped seeing them saw them many times in small clubs. Great stuff. still like Knopflers cds, beautiful music. The live shows of Knopfler, i find them a bit boring.
But thats only my opinion.

Have very fond memories of Dire straits and Knopflers music.
One Love Jeroen

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:20

on Ronnie Woods station on Pandora they are in heavy rotation...great station by the way..lots of good rock n roll and funk...and R & B and blues...a wonderful mix.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:35

kammpberg
One of my all time favorites. Purposely not overly commercial (even Brothers In Arms if you listen is not a commercial sounding album, even though it crossed over and became huge because of Money For Nothing's video), a real musician's band. Even their worst albums - Communique and Love Over Gold are excellent. Great great band. They became huge for a few year, due to luck, a great video, but not from "selling out" their ideals. And Knopfler wasn't happy with the success, so purposely went out on top to bring him back to earth....

When I bought Brothers In Arms after it´s release back in 1985 I thought the album was too "polished" compared to their other records. As if they´d said "Let´s make REAL money this time". The CD-version containing expanded songs is horrible at times. "Why Worry", "Money For Nothing", "So Far Away" and the title track are attempts to please EVERYBODY, at least one can get that impression. I remember an interview saying Mark Knopfler that he wasnt lucky with the musical direction of the band after "Brothers In Arms". His band-mates wanted to carry on with radio-friendly, polished music, but Knopfler wanted more folk elements...

Regarding Knopfler, his very first solo-albums were quite good imo, but soon he became more and more a mumbling storyteller, played almost only acoustic and became boring, boring, boring, boring. His recent albums all sound the same, more or less. Boring, boring, boring. Even David Gilmour, one of the most boring artists of music history, is less boring than Mark Knopfler.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:36

HMS
kammpberg

When I bought Brothers In Arms after it´s release back in 1985 I thought the album was too "polished" compared to their other records. As if they´d said "Let´s make REAL money this time". The CD-version containing expanded songs is horrible at times. "Why Worry", "Money For Nothing", "So Far Away" and the title track are attempts to please EVERYBODY, at least one can get that impression. I remember an interview saying Mark Knopfler that he wasnt lucky with the musical direction of the band after "Brothers In Arms". His band-mates wanted to carry on with radio-friendly, polished music, but Knopfler wanted more folk elements...

Regarding Knopfler, his very first solo-albums were quite good imo, but soon he became more and more a mumbling storyteller, played almost only acoustic and became boring, boring, boring, boring. His recent albums all sound the same, more or less. Boring, boring, boring. Even David Gilmour, one of the most boring artists of music history, is less boring than Mark Knopfler.
No Clapton among them boring...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:12

I liked their unissued duet album with Chris Rea.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:23

Yes i was a big dire Straights man. Love Marks sound and touch. Alchemy was one of my favourite live albums. Brothers in Arms was great too.
I was going to start a thread on it but thought you looser's would jump down my throat lol

Pity they never got back together, i don't think stardom sat well with Mark

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:31

Great band but haven't really listened to them in ages. Agree that Alchemy is one of the best live albums. I saw them live in 1992 or 1993 and loved it. Don't really listen to Knopfler's solo efforts anymore, find them mostly boring even though I still consider him as one of the best guitar players alive.
I think he plays in Montreal tomorrow and I considered going for two seconds but nah...

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:54

Absolutely love them. You can't say too much about that band. Knopfler is a genius. Too many incredible songs to list. I saw their Brothers In Arms tour (their last tour) and was absolutely floored. If you haven't seen the CD of this tour you will not be disappointed.

What makes Knopler's guitar playing so good and so unique was that he played the electric guitar without a pick and only used his bare fingers - typically 2 or 3 fingers at once - "finger picking". That's how he could play so fast. That technique gives him his very distinctive sound and style. Almost nobody uses that technique.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 6, 2015 17:00

Great band, there is a version of what they call Dire Straits touring, its only the keyboard player from the original band and they were charging $70 a ticket. Crazy, and by the comments posted under the announcement I saw on facebook many people were fooled into thinking they got back together.

I haven't really listened to Mark Knophler's solo stuff, is it worth checking out?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 6, 2015 17:01

I liked the first album a lot when it first came out .... then I guess I just sorta lost interest.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 6, 2015 17:28

Bungo
Absolutely love them. You can't say too much about that band. Knopfler is a genius. Too many incredible songs to list. I saw their Brothers In Arms tour (their last tour) and was absolutely floored. If you haven't seen the CD of this tour you will not be disappointed.

What makes Knopler's guitar playing so good and so unique was that he played the electric guitar without a pick and only used his bare fingers - typically 2 or 3 fingers at once - "finger picking". That's how he could play so fast. That technique gives him his very distinctive sound and style. Almost nobody uses that technique.

I think he got that technique from Chet Atkins, who got it from Merle Travis who got it from Django Reinhardt and Les Paul
I love it

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 6, 2015 17:32

Really enjoy the band's music. Agreed that the Alchemy live album is one of my favorite live albums. Wore out my cassette copy back in the day. Also used to have it on VHS which I thought was enjoyable just for some of the lighting effects.

tomcasagranda -> where do I find the Straits/Rea album you mentioned? That's a collaboration I think I'd enjoy listening to.

Personally I never saw them as "selling out". I more took it as, the public at large liked what they were doing and the "went along for the ride". Kind of a shame that they didn't enjoy that ride and opted to hang it up. Totally understandable but still a shame.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 6, 2015 17:36

Loved the first three albums, after that I lost interest.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2015 18:10

Down to the Waterline is a classic.

I'd consider myself a 'casual fan' and do like them.
They were all over the radio and MTV late '70's-mid '80's so hard not to hear them.
The only album I bought was Brothers in Arms when released, but the overexposure made it a bit much.

I saw him solo a couple years ago opening for Dylan, and while his guitar playing is still great, his overall performance/setlist was a bit monotonous.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 6, 2015 18:14

Dire Straits = Penang or Singapore
Swimming looking at big cargos crusing so close... .

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: October 6, 2015 18:31

tomcasagranda
I liked their unissued duet album with Chris Rea.

I wasn't aware of this. Always considered Rea as another great player comparable to Knopfler.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home