Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
things the rolling stones did that really, really, really got you ballistic
Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:08

i am stealing my own post from another thread about ants in one's moral dignity pants concerning something disturbing, disgusting, disappointing, and just plain viley loathsome that a rolling stone did

from day one, they've been really good at getting people riled up and outraged

i love the rolling stones, but i have to say:

yep! they got me!

i was disturbed by the album cover of goat's head soup-- a lot! not the shrouds, but the goat head in a pot of boiling something. i still can't look at it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 20:09 by CloudCat.

Re: things the rolling stones did that really, really, really got you ballistic
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:22

Yep, the Rolling Stones get everyone's goat sooner or later - it's a gift they have. Especially Mick Jagger.
As long as they're getting someone else's goat it's great! Especially if it's some authority's goat.
When they get *your* goat, people often appear surprised. But what did you expect?! It's the Rolling Stones! :E

Angie was it for me - especially that "let me whisper in your ear" stuff, and then that video [shudder]
I'm sure glad I got it over and done with early on, because there is no benefit whatsoever
in having a snit over something the Rolling Stones have done.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:38

CloudCat
i am stealing my own post from another thread about ants in one's moral dignity pants concerning something disturbing, disgusting, disappointing, and just plain viley loathsome that a rolling stone did

yep! they got me!

i was disturbed by the album cover of goat's head soup-- a lot! not the shrouds, but the goat head in a pot of boiling something. i still can't look at it

It grosses me out, too. Yuck! The album is great, though. smiling smiley

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:40

And to think that they almost called the album Goat Head Suit!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:52

CloudCat

yep! they got me!

If you walk around in the Arab market section in the old city of Jerusalem, you will see tables set up selling goats heads.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:59

That logo for Exhibitionism - YUCK!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2015 21:01

Heee - remember how outraged some people were at the name/cover of GRRR? That was hilarious :E

Date: September 29, 2015 21:16

with sssoul
Heee - remember how outraged some people were at the name/cover of GRRR? That was hilarious :E

yep! they got people going grrrrrrrrrrrrr over that

it was funny

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 29, 2015 21:21

Under use of Mick Taylor as a guest and not enough SF tunes on the Zip Code tour were certainly disappointments. But as far as the really really really stuff goes, nothing under the sun. Can't take this stuff too seriously.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 29, 2015 21:22

I'm just glad they didn't call it Goatse Head Soup smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 29, 2015 21:49

Mick & Keith going solo.
That is where the trouble with latter-day Stones started.

Inviting guests to ruin their songs on stage.

Not recording a new album for more than ten years.

Giving Mick Taylor a guest spot in 2012-14.

Re-releasing Exile with a horrible Bonus-companion.

Wearing awful costumes at Steel-Wheels/Urban-Jungle-tour.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 29, 2015 22:02

I have been crushed and broken hearted by the Rolling Stones. Devastated.
Height of obsession, 1981 tour 1 show in my town, mail order only, my mail orders come back No, radio station 10th caller every duo Stones play, I listen/ call 24/7, and WIN 2 tickets! DAY of the show, my mother says NO you can't go too dangerous(and I was < 18 yrs) She gave away my tickets!! Ohh years later she apologizes, but let me tell you...broken I was. F'en broken.
1989 tour: no internet, somehow, I scour, work, pay, I get 2 tickets on the floor.
DAY of the show my ride (giving other ticket free) gets picked up on way to me. Then something else, etc. bad scene, just a bad turn of fate again at the edge of my dream.
I'm cursed, refuse to try again. Always, always RS background music of my life. But too scarred for a show try again, they cut me deep.
UNTIL 2015! San Diego Zip, 13th row! Made it! With my wonderful husband of 11 years.
So they'll break your heart, but they always come back. Redemption.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 22:08

The ticket prices and decision to focus on wealthy casual fans.

Date: September 29, 2015 22:18

A couple scenes in CS Blues had me cringing and feeling a bit uncomfortable. Such a weird scene around the Stones for that tour, not as glamorous as one might imagine.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 29, 2015 22:37

Mick Taylor dancing onstage......okay not a real Stone anymore so I forgive him..........

Date: September 29, 2015 23:17

35love
I have been crushed and broken hearted by the Rolling Stones. Devastated.
Height of obsession, 1981 tour 1 show in my town, mail order only, my mail orders come back No, radio station 10th caller every duo Stones play, I listen/ call 24/7, and WIN 2 tickets! DAY of the show, my mother says NO you can't go too dangerous(and I was < 18 yrs) She gave away my tickets!! Ohh years later she apologizes, but let me tell you...broken I was. F'en broken.
1989 tour: no internet, somehow, I scour, work, pay, I get 2 tickets on the floor.
DAY of the show my ride (giving other ticket free) gets picked up on way to me. Then something else, etc. bad scene, just a bad turn of fate again at the edge of my dream.
I'm cursed, refuse to try again. Always, always RS background music of my life. But too scarred for a show try again, they cut me deep.
UNTIL 2015! San Diego Zip, 13th row! Made it! With my wonderful husband of 11 years.
So they'll break your heart, but they always come back. Redemption.

oh - the tale of the tickets being given away after such steadfast determination -- alas and alack! it is a bitter story, mate!

but yes! redemption does come: they are the rolling stones!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 29, 2015 23:20

When people say there is another guitarist under the stage.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 29, 2015 23:29

More Hot Rocks
When people say there is another guitarist under the stage.

ThereĀ“s even two of them! Plus a drummer and the singing comes from tape! Dont you know that Chuck has a keyboard instead of a piano, because that enables him to push the right buttons at the right time? He can turn the Stones on and off just as he wants to. Hey they dont call him "musical director" for nothing!smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 29, 2015 23:41

that black and blue billboard was disgusting.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 23:44

State of Shock left me in, well . . . a state of shock.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2015 00:05

Nothing by the Stones has ever made me ballistic, but embarrassed yes....

I went to live in Guildford, England for 6 months back in 1987 during a College Study Abroad program.
I brought a brand new unopened cassette of Primitive Cool with me.
I played it for the first time for the kind English family I was housed with, and there was immediate laughter and disgust.
The two sons that were my age (early 20's) were into Def Leppard and Iron Maiden, and laughed at how such an 'old fart' could still try to be relevant.
The two parents who grew up listening to Beatles and Stones in the '60's/early '70's just shook their head's with complete disappointment.
Into the 2nd song (Let's Work), it was immediately clear that this new Mick release was an absolute mess, and promised everyone they would never hear it again!

Still laugh about this whenever I'm reminded of it..."Let's Work"!!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 30, 2015 01:24

Airbrushing Bill from the cover photo on 'Rarities'.

Managing their corporate structure (just like Google, Facebook, Amazon etc etc ad nauseam) so that they pay only tiny amounts of tax. Anywhere. (And then when Ronnie was in a car accident in the UK making use of the taxpayer funded emergency services - effing hypochrites.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 30, 2015 01:28

A bit miffed every time I hear them dissing Brian Jones after all this time, and Mick and Keith being absent from his funeral always pissed me off a bit.

Got to be careful with this thread lest it get merged into the Complaints thread or blasted away completely.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:19

I concur somewhat with Naturalust, here.

Although he has seemingly mellowed towards him in recent years, Keith's comments towards Brian in the 25x5 documentary really rather shocked me: 'Hey, you cock, you're fired' and, of course, 'shit happens' when referring to Brian's passing.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:29

Big Al

Although he has seemingly mellowed towards him in recent years, Keith's comments towards Brian in the 25x5 documentary really rather shocked me: 'Hey, you cock, you're fired' and, of course, 'shit happens' when referring to Brian's passing.

Used as a friendly form of address.

Olly.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:38

The lowest point for me was gathering my friends to watch the Stones live on Saturday Night Live in 1978 and saying how they were the greatest etc. Jagger had no voice but the lowest was when he tongue kissed/licked Ronnie Wood uh - that was so awful. I was embarrassed.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:38

Olly
Big Al

In what country and culture? Certainly, in this particular context, it isn't particularly friendly.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:44

keith rewriting history and saying stu and brian started the band when there's years of keith[and everyone else in the band]saying brian started the stones-

that friggin gregory ape,good god what a dumbass idea.i dont even know why i think it sucked so bad,but it just sucked.i hope they discontinue that whole compilation and act as if it never existed,it was just pointless.

it was actually called grrrr.when you have records called decembers children,exile on main street and beggars banquet and then you come up with fckin grrr? they may as well have called it"we've run out of ideas and we don't want to take time to think up something'

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:44

All the recent guests destroying classic songs makes me sick. Especially Taylor Swift. Disgusting.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 30, 2015 02:48

Big Al
Olly
Big Al

In what country and culture? Certainly, in this particular context, it isn't particularly friendly.

You're British aren't you, Al?

I believe Richards said 'cock' as opposed to 'you cock'. He means 'Hey pal' or 'Hey mate':

noun
British informal
a friendly form of address among men.
"please yourself, cock"

Olly.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home