Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Keith Richards - Under the influence
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 21:24

Not sure if this should be part of the Crosseyed Heart thread. This was spotted on Sunset Blvd last night on the way home from the Pattie Boyd/Henry Diltz interview at The Sunset Marquis.

Re: Keith Richards - Under the influence
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 12, 2015 21:37

Beautiful photo on that billboard. 2008 by Francesco Carrozzini

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 12, 2015 22:21

It looks like the billboard appears to be next to the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 12, 2015 22:22

Sweet...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 12, 2015 23:38

Can't wait to see it...thanks to my son who subscribes.
I guess it will get an airing on BBC though at some point in the future, with a DVD release to follow.

Date: September 13, 2015 02:11

tumbled
It looks like the billboard appears to be next to the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood?

Yes it is. Sunset Strip baby!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 13, 2015 10:41

Great Photo!

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 13, 2015 11:22

Just started my free month subscription on Netflix, and had breakfast with Keef ( on the Andrew Marr show)

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 13, 2015 11:41

desertblues68
Just started my free month subscription on Netflix, and had breakfast with Keef ( on the Andrew Marr show)

Missed that this morning - thank heavens for BBC iPlayer !!! hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: September 13, 2015 12:10

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: September 13, 2015 13:32

"Only available in the UK" 8[

Date: September 13, 2015 15:32

with sssoul
"Only available in the UK" 8[[/quote]

Aha my dear lady sssoul, there's a trick to this. The lady Beastess is currently a little bit to the NE of you (geographically speaking) and absolutely chomping at the bit to see this KR interview of BBC iPlayer, so she is threatening to employ this very trick herself ... her impatience is such that she cannot wait until she returns to these shores !!

The trick is ........ use a proxy server to connect through, so when you access iPlayer it doesn't actually recognise that you're not in the UK. It works a treat apparently. some proxy servers are free, others cost - but it is apparently a very nominal charge.

Date: September 13, 2015 15:36

sssoul ....... read all about proxy servers here !! Good luck !!

[whatismyipaddress.com]

Date: September 13, 2015 22:28

Paul, thanks but I've already read enough about proxy servers to know
that I don't to subject my computer to a pox like that. They mess things up!

Shana tova!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-13 22:43 by with sssoul.

Date: September 13, 2015 23:14

Proxy servers are simple if you want to pay. They just obscure the source IP of your device and make it look like you live in a particular country. There's no risk. Don't waste your time with the free ones, you'll be subjected to all kinds of BS. Go to tunnelbear.com, that's a reputable site.

Or just wait until about 4 hours after the thing premiers. It will be on the pirate bay.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 09:15

Here's a review of UNDER THE INFLUENCE by The Hollywood Reporter (thanks to an old friend over at EOMS for the link):

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Not sure of course how much stock to put in one review, but it seems like it might be safe to say that this "fawning" movie should really be regarded as part of the marketing campaign for CROSSEYED HEART.

Still enjoyable for fans, but not a true, critical, probing documentary. (But very few were probably expecting that, anyway!)

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 09:25

LongBeachArena72
Here's a review of UNDER THE INFLUENCE by The Hollywood Reporter (thanks to an old friend over at EOMS for the link):

Not sure of course how much stock to put in one review, but it seems like it might be safe to say that this "fawning" movie should really be regarded as part of the marketing campaign for CROSSEYED HEART.

Still enjoyable for fans, but not a true, critical, probing documentary. (But very few were probably expecting that, anyway!)

same reporter wrote basically the same review of 'crossfire hurricane': [www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Date: September 14, 2015 17:19

Turner68
LongBeachArena72

same reporter wrote basically the same review of 'crossfire hurricane': [www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Right. Which was another film not particularly probing about what made the band tick. We shall alas never see another GIMME SHELTER.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:08

Although, to be fair to The Stones, there's really not much of a tradition among high-end rock and roll bands for the kind of warts-and-all documentaries that you often see in other businesses and industries. Most rock "docs" tend to be marketing/public relations exercises -- not true journalism.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:13

Gimme Shelter wasn't very probing or revealing about the band either.
I don't need or expect Under the Influence to probe Keith;
I'll be totally blissed if he talks about the music he loves,
and if there's footage of him in the studio.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:16

LongBeachArena72
Although, to be fair to The Stones, there's really not much of a tradition among high-end rock and roll bands for the kind of warts-and-all documentaries that you often see in other businesses and industries. Most rock "docs" tend to be marketing/public relations exercises -- not true journalism.

Because they own (most) of the rights to their work, unless you're going to do a documentary that doesn't have any of their music in it you must have their cooperation, and you can't blame someone for not cooperating on a documentary without some sort of assurance that it's not going to rip you apart. gimme shelter and let it be are rare counter examples except of course in the Beatles case they retained rights to their films and so let it be has now almost vanished.

In the world of business or politics you can say "I'm doing this documentary where people allege you did x and y, do you want to give interviewed for it to respond?" Which often will get cooperation from an otherwise unfriendly subject. A rock band can say sorry we won't sign off on allowing you to use our music if you go ahead with that.

The reviewer mentioned above is either naive or just too lazy to come up with a different angle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-14 18:17 by Turner68.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:16

Of course the doc will be a marketing /promotional tool to support the new album. Also, to offset the possible(?) absence of any live concerts.

The last Rock Doc which I watched was "Beware of Mr Baker" which was superb, but then it was about someone with some severe personality issues. For all his faults, Keith just aint in that league.
A more balanced view would have to include interviews with previous girlfriends, children, Ry Cooder and other musicians and former business associates who could give a more rounded picture and I cant see this happening in Keiths lifetime.
Still it should be better than "Being Mick" which really did him no good at all, in
my opinion.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:19

with sssoul

Totally disagree. GIMME SHELTER portrayed a helpless ineffectual Mick Jagger on stage and a startled Jagger listening to Sonny Barger call him an idiot on the radio. It was a complex film for many reasons, combining exciting concert footage with the overarching sense of dread that the prep for the free concert created. I am always stunned that the movie ever even came out. And of course pleased that it did.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:21

jlowe
Of course the doc will be a marketing /promotional tool to support the new album. Also, to offset the possible(?) absence of any live concerts.

The last Rock Doc which I watched was "Beware of Mr Baker" which was superb, but then it was about someone with some severe personality issues. For all his faults, Keith just aint in that league.
A more balanced view would have to include interviews with previous girlfriends, children, Ry Cooder and other musicians and former business associates who could give a more rounded picture and I cant see this happening in Keiths lifetime.
Still it should be better than "Being Mick" which really did him no good at all, in
my opinion.

I found being mick to be fun but depressing. The Brian Wilson movie that came out a few months ago was good. I'm excited about the Keith documentary because I learn something about music whenever he talks about his influences.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:30

Turner68
LongBeachArena72

Because they own (most) of the rights to their work, unless you're going to do a documentary that doesn't have any of their music in it you must have their cooperation, and you can't blame someone for not cooperating on a documentary without some sort of assurance that it's not going to rip you apart. gimme shelter and let it be are rare counter examples except of course in the Beatles case they retained rights to their films and so let it be has now almost vanished.

In the world of business or politics you can say "I'm doing this documentary where people allege you did x and y, do you want to give interviewed for it to respond?" Which often will get cooperation from an otherwise unfriendly subject. A rock band can say sorry we won't sign off on allowing you to use our music if you go ahead with that.

The reviewer mentioned above is either naive or just too lazy to come up with a different angle.

I'm not questioning why The Stones--or any high-profile band--would want to give unfettered access or be part of a project that could be less than complimentary. They simply don't need that.

As to this particular reviewer, I'm not sure. I've been to TIFF several times in the past for work and it is CRAMMED with incredible films, docs of all stripes, but you don't really (as a general rule) see PR puff pieces like UNDER THE INFLUENCE. The reviewer probably was lazy and also perhaps reacting to the overall hagiographic tone of the movie, in comparison with other things from TIFF that s/he is used to seeing.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:46

In many respects the documentaries reflect what you see /read in the interviews.
Most of the recent Keith stuff has started with lengthy introductions giving the same accounts of stories weve heard over and over again. It fills the column inches but is very lazy journalism.
Of course it may be the subject has very little to say of interest and it won't be in the journals interests to probe too much.....otherwise they wont get anyone to help shift some copies.
None of the Keith media (unless Ive missed it) has asked him about the Johnny Depp interview, the 5th Pirates film, his arthritis, drinking habits (drugs yes, yawn yawn still of course),the recent bio on Allen Klein and really no serious probing re live concerts to help showcase the album.
Its all show biz of course.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:50

LongBeachArena72
with sssoul

Totally disagree. GIMME SHELTER portrayed a helpless ineffectual Mick Jagger on stage and a startled Jagger listening to Sonny Barger call him an idiot on the radio.

Of course it was a complex film for many reasons, but hardly any of those reasons
had anything to do with the inner workings of the band or its deep true nature.
Showing someone being ineffectual in a situation where everyone was ineffectual
(except the people ready & willing to kill), or someone being taken aback at being called an idiot
isn't what I call deeply insightful. And the editing made it look like the Stones bailed out after Hunter was killed.
Showing them having the balls to stay and play even when they were scared shirtless might have been more revealing.

But I digress. I hope Keith talks a lot about the music in this new one.

Date: September 14, 2015 18:57

He will talk about music in this one, I'm sure...he lives for it. I heard a recorded broadcast of UKs BBC Radio6 interview and putting all cynicism (good PR etc) he clearly still loves his work and hopefully we will not have to wait too long before
we hear some more new recordings and new colaborations with Mick and of course Jordan again.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2015 19:15

I wonder if we'll get the obligatory Brian question, with Keith sighing and wishing he could have done more. At least recently he sort of admitted to being the last one on earth to give Brian advice after stealing Anita.

Date: September 14, 2015 19:37

with sssoul
LongBeachArena72
with sssoul

Totally disagree. GIMME SHELTER portrayed a helpless ineffectual Mick Jagger on stage and a startled Jagger listening to Sonny Barger call him an idiot on the radio.

Of course it was a complex film for many reasons, but hardly any of those reasons
had anything to do with the inner workings of the band or its deep true nature.
Showing someone being ineffectual in a situation where everyone was ineffectual
(except the people ready & willing to kill), or someone being taken aback at being called an idiot
isn't what I call deeply insightful. And the editing made it look like the Stones bailed out after Hunter was killed.
Showing them having the balls to stay and play even when they were scared shirtless might have been more revealing.

But I digress. I hope Keith talks a lot about the music in this new one.

Ok, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not claiming that GIMME SHELTER is LA DOLCE VITA or BREATHLESS or anything like that. But as a portrait of its times, in the way it juxtaposed a rock band being on the one hand at the height of its powers, holding audiences in its sway all across American, with on the other hand the sight of that same band desperately vamping and pleading, having lost all control ... well, I thought it had a lot to say about hubris, about people thinking they could control what they clearly could not. While it may not have shown what The Stones were thinking about the events that transpired, it certainly had a perspective that was something other than marketing/pr for the band.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home