Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy birthday David Crosby
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:32

74 years young today. Here's a nice clip of him solo. You forget what a good guitar player he is.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Happy birthday David Crosby
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:03

Thanks dmay. Don't think we're going to have him around much longer. Obviously a larger that life character in the tapestry of Rock and Roll. His first book was painfully truthful and stunning, I'm still scarred by the experience of reading it.

Love that line..."feel like I owe it to someone" in Almost Cut My Hair.

Happy Birthday Croz!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:11

For all his faults (!) he is one of the greatest harmony singers ever. His songs and topline vocals for The Byrds were brilliant - Lady Friend is a brilliant record for example. Topsy turvy solo/CSNY career but some real gems contained therein.
Anyone else here played about with "Crosby" tuning E B D G A D ?
That's some freaky shit but hit that open chord, grow a moustache, learn to sing and smoke some serious weed and you're halfway to singing with McGuinn or Nash.
Happy Birthday David.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:40

ash
For all his faults (!) he is one of the greatest harmony singers ever. His songs and topline vocals for The Byrds were brilliant - Lady Friend is a brilliant record for example. Topsy turvy solo/CSNY career but some real gems contained therein.
Anyone else here played about with "Crosby" tuning E B D G A D ?
That's some freaky shit but hit that open chord, grow a moustache, learn to sing and smoke some serious weed and you're halfway to singing with McGuinn or Nash.
Happy Birthday David.

Thanks for pointing out that odd tuning he uses, ash! I'm willing to give it a spin. Maybe that's part of the secret to those amazing close harmonies he sings.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 14, 2015 22:01

I have listened to too few of David Crosby's songs so far, I must confess. But I really want to express my deep acknowledgement for one Byrds song that is his, "Mind Gardens". Thank you very much for that marvellous song!

Date: August 14, 2015 22:26

Witness
I have listened to too few of David Crosby's songs so far, I must confess. But I really want to express my deep acknowledgement for one Byrds song that is his, "Mind Gardens". Thank you very much for that marvellous song!
are you being sarcastic ? that's about the most divisive Croz number. I forgive him that on account of Rennaissance Fair.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 14, 2015 22:36

Here's another gem from Crosby's stint with the Byrds. Beautiful melody.

[www.youtube.com]

And here's Croz doing the song that led him to depart from the Byrds when McGuinn allegedly balked at including it on an album. I swear that's cotton candy floating on his head.

[www.youtube.com]

The Airplane stepped up later and put the song on one of their albums. Here's their version.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:24

ash
Witness
are you being sarcastic ? that's about the most divisive Croz number. I forgive him that on account of Rennaissance Fair.

No, sincerely, I do like that song. I am entitled to have my own taste, I think.

Date: August 15, 2015 02:49

Witness
ash
Witness

No, sincerely, I do like that song. I am entitled to have my own taste, I think.

Absolutely no problem. I quite like it but most Byrds fans tend to hate it that's why i said it's divisive. I rarely find a Byrds fan who likes it, even a Crosby fan. He had some terrific songs omitted from their albums such as It Happens Each Day and Stranger In A Strange Land. Younger Than Yesterday is a brilliant album.The only real clunker on that album is the Why remake. The B-side version is a stunner.
For what it's worth i absolutely love CTA 102. Trips me out every time but it's often dismissed like Mind Gardens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home