Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
40 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts (lots of fotos) – with a 2015 update
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 15, 2009 07:14

These fotos (including some duplicates) are from the Tuesday-Wednesday/July 15-16, 1975 shows at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. The latter was my first Stones concert ever. More on that later.

This first selection of 16 fotos was taken by Greg Evrigenis of Sacramento. Greg was a friend of a friend and the man who had been lucky enough to hear (or hear of quickly enough) the announcement on live radio by the legendary promoter Bill Graham: “At the sound of the tumbling dice, Rolling Stones tickets for their July 15th and 16th concerts at the Cow Palace will go on sale” at all BASS outlets. He managed to get in line at the BASS ticket outlet quickly, cutting a high school class at Jesuit High to do so, I believe.

Through a mutual friend, I managed to call Greg as I had heard he might have extra tickets for sale. Indeed he did and agreed to sell two for the second show to me at the then-outrageous sum of twenty-five dollars apiece, the original price being $7.50 if memory serves(no, check my fotocopy on p.2 of this thread and you will see it was $8.50) As another friend put it to me, “I heard you paid up the nose for Stones tickets.”

Greg attended the first of the two shows on July 15. He had some pretty high quality photographic equipment and was something of an amateur photographer. He shot rolls of black and white prints and color slides, later allowing me to make duplicate prints from both.

I begin with some of his black and white fotos. I will add more of his black and white, maybe some of his color prints, as well as some of my own poor quality color prints shot the next night with a little, cheap 110 camera. In addition, I will have additional fotos of the entire event and some stories indelibly burned into my memory, that is, of what I could remember in the aftermath of the show.

Note: the scans are not the best due to my own poor skills in such things.

Plexi

NEW FOTOS ADDED, PART I:
here are a few more from the July 15th show, then I will move on in my next post to my own poor fotos that I personally (along with a friend) took on the 16th but those will have a bit of interesting commentary.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-19 08:59 by timbernardis.

Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – Fotos
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 15, 2009 07:33

Terrific photos. Keep 'em coming.
Which SF show did Keith's amp break down, first or second?

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: July 15, 2009 10:32

great, thanks

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 15, 2009 10:45

amazing photos:-)

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 15, 2009 12:06

Great pix. Does this guy became a pro photographer?

Date: July 15, 2009 13:05

Beautiful! The photos that have been appearing on IORR lately re amazing.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: July 15, 2009 13:07

Chuck Leavell looks kinda...well...different!
Great shots though!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 15, 2009 19:12

Many thanks, plexi!

Great pics.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 15, 2009 19:21

ya know what i am struck by these photos is how young ronnie looks .may you be forever young !!!!!!!!!

Date: July 16, 2009 06:50

tomk
Terrific photos. Keep 'em coming.
Which SF show did Keith's amp break down, first or second?

I believe it was the first, which I did not attend but which seems to be evident in the boot (and there are about equally good boots from both shows).

p

Date: July 16, 2009 06:53

leteyer

Last I heard, and it has been many years, he became a dentist. Whether he continued on with his photography on the side I do not know, but will try to find out.

p

Date: July 16, 2009 06:57

Palace Revolution 2000
Beautiful! The photos that have been appearing on IORR lately re amazing.

This is true and I should note that this is the first time these fotos have ever been posted anywhere to my knowledge, nor have they been published.

And certain little details appear, such as the question as to when (what tour) and at what point on this tour did Mick begin using wireless mics. Well, I do remember that well from my own stoned memory of the second show, and now here we have photographic proof that at least by San Fran (and I suppose LA), he had begun using them.

Erik -- any comment here?

p

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 16, 2009 19:52

Lovely thread I like it very much...great pics.....so thanx!
hmmmm whats also intresting...i got the white lp from this show....have any pics of the crowd ? I mean i know its Oakland!...and in 78 it was again oakland..... any pics tIMBER........how was the atmosphere at that show....Were the Angels there....7 years after altamont...how many real hippies...how many blacks...how many teenagers....die hard fans....or was you to stoned...the ´´cow´´ hall aint there anymore....if you want tell me about the crowd and the show some more...and the 78 show!! how was it ..did ya meet people you met in 75....how was that day for you..all the best from the low land?

Date: July 16, 2009 20:19

same place...great show too

Date: July 17, 2009 05:32

leteyer

one thing to note leteyer -- the SF shows immediately followed those at the LA Forum, one of which you attended, so these fotos were taken within a week of the your Forum show.

p

Date: July 17, 2009 05:47

rooster
hmmmm whats also intresting...i got the white lp from this show....have any pics of the crowd ? I mean i know its Oakland!...and in 78 it was again oakland..... any pics tIMBER........how was the atmosphere at that show....Were the Angels there....7 years after altamont...how many real hippies...how many blacks...how many teenagers....die hard fans....or was you to stoned...the ´´cow´´ hall aint there anymore....if you want tell me about the crowd and the show some more...and the 78 show!! how was it ..did ya meet people you met in 75....how was that day for you..all the best from the low land?

a few pics of the crowd outside will be coming soon

and it is not in Oakland, it is very close to San Francisco, Daly City or South San Francisco I think, technically, but on the SF side of the Bay

in 78 the show was at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium on Mick's birthday -- got some pics from that that I will put up in a separate thread later along with a few comments on that show

lotta hippies, not many blacks, lotta teens, I was 18

and the Cow Palace is still there!!

and in your next post rooster, I also attended that Neil Young show at the Cow Palace which is where Rust Never Sleeps live album and film were made and why would anyone want a boot (which I assume is what your cover is from) of it when a professional recording exists unless a few songs are different or it is a really good or unique recording ...

btw, that foto is of a Lakota (western Sioux) Indian, but there is no known foto that exists of Crazy Horse himself ...

p

Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – More Fotos part I
Date: July 17, 2009 05:52

I just added some more fotos -- added to the first post in this thread right after the first bunch of fotos -- check them out.

plexi

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 17, 2009 05:53

and it is not in Oakland, it is very close to San Francisco, Daly City or South San Francisco I think, technically, but on the SF side of the Bay

Daly City to be exact Tim. To paraphrase Bruce Springsteen....The Cow Palace....A dump that doesn't jump....But still stands. Nice pics Plexi...Thanks.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: July 17, 2009 07:39

timbernardis
rooster

in 78 the show was at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium on Mick's birthday -- got some pics from that that I will put up in a separate thread later along with a few comments on that show

and in your next post rooster, I also attended that Neil Young show at the Cow Palace which is where Rust Never Sleeps live album and film were made and why would anyone want a boot (which I assume is what your cover is from) of it when a professional recording exists unless a few songs are different or it is a really good or unique recording ...

btw, that foto is of a Lakota (western Sioux) Indian, but there is no known foto that exists of Crazy Horse himself ...

p[/quothan xx

Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – More Fotos -- part 1
Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: July 17, 2009 08:11

Wonderful fotos. Thanks a million!

Re: 34 Years Ago: The July 15-16 1975 San Francisco Cow Palace Concerts – More Fotos -- part 1
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:32

Thanks for posting.

fantastic photos. The eighth photo is something i have been looking for as a poster.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:42

These are amazing photos - thanks, plexi!

Date: July 17, 2009 18:39

timbernardis
rooster

p
i cant wait foo the 78 thread!! Give it up!!

Date: July 17, 2009 18:54

Was there angels in 75?....78?...didnt you have that Altamont thread the other day?I like this thread

Date: July 17, 2009 19:45

one year later

Date: July 17, 2009 21:33

rooster - you are a bit trippy (just one more on the board, and that is OK!).

No the Angels were only at Altamont as far as the Stones are concerned in terms of any real presence. There may have been a few at the Cow Palace show, who knows.

However, I do remember this: either during these shows or right after the end of the TOTA tour (I think it was the latter), Mick made some kind of court appearance in the area in connection to Altamont, maybe complaints of damage from the local landowners, would have to dig this up.

I vaguely remember the SF Chronicle account saying something about Mick showing up with a lot of adoring fans, looking very cool, and that the charge was dismissed.

What I do want to know, rooster, from what book or publication is that foto taken outside the Cow Palace? I was in that line on that day and have some of my own fotos of that line which I will post later.

And relax, the Oakland 1978 thread wont appear til around Mick's birthday which was the day of that concert.

plexi

Date: July 18, 2009 09:34

thanx...its the ''on tour'' book

Date: July 18, 2009 18:56

is that the green one with the tongue on the front?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 18, 2009 19:33

rooster
same place...great show too
I know. I was there! This is the concert that was filmed for "Rust Never Sleeps'

Date: July 18, 2009 20:53

same title film and album both

and hence my question -- the cover/artwork that was posted -- why have that if there is an official release,unless something is especially different or special about the boot recording??

plex

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home