Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 30 Classic Rock Songs That Should Take a Year Off From Radio
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:12

You know the ones I am talking about. You actually liked them at one point in your life, may have even bought the record, played it on a juke box in a restaurant, sang it to yourself while you were walking the dog, etc.

Actually, very good tunes. The first few years of their existence. In 1976, 1977, 1978, etc., you had no problem with as much airplay as stations would give them.

That lasted through most of the 1980s. By the 1990s, though, a few of them are starting to stick in your craw. By the year 2000, you were officially tired of these tunes.

Now, in 2015, when any one of these songs happens to come on the radio, you'll jump chairs, tables, neighbors, ANYTHING to dash across the room to either change the channel, or turn the danged thing off.

All that being said, I would like to propose that the following 30 Classic Rock Songs be banned from all radio for a period of one year. Just one year. Then you can bring them back, one at a time, or something like that.

We'll all be happier, although we'll get less exercise for not having to leap across the room with maniacal looks on our faces.

Here is my list of 30. What would you like to add?

Cheers....

Dream On
The Joker
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
Old Time Rock and Roll
Cold as Ice
Head Games
Magic Man
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Free Bird
Layla
More Than a Feeling
Smoke on the Water
The Boys are Back in Town
Fly Like an Eagle
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Maggie May
Life in the Fast Lane
A Horse With No Name
Bad to the Bone
Hold On Loosely
Rock You Like a Hurricane
Carry On Wayward Son
Miss You
Turn the Page
Running on Empty
Lady (Styx)
Jet Airliner
Takin' Care of Business
Lonely is the Night

Re: OT: 30 Classic Rock Songs That Should Take a Year Off From Radio
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:21

I like the way you think...

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:38

this is one of those anti-radio-warhorse threads, innit.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:41

Any Queen song

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:42

Maybe. I prefer to call it a "There are a lot of deeper cuts that are much more interesting than the same songs all the time" thread. cool smiley

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:46

Abracadabra and anything by Pink Floyd

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 28, 2015 19:58

Mongoose
You know the ones I am talking about. You actually liked them at one point in your life, may have even bought the record, played it on a juke box in a restaurant, sang it to yourself while you were walking the dog, etc.

Actually, very good tunes. The first few years of their existence. In 1976, 1977, 1978, etc., you had no problem with as much airplay as stations would give them.

That lasted through most of the 1980s. By the 1990s, though, a few of them are starting to stick in your craw. By the year 2000, you were officially tired of these tunes.

Now, in 2015, when any one of these songs happens to come on the radio, you'll jump chairs, tables, neighbors, ANYTHING to dash across the room to either change the channel, or turn the danged thing off.

All that being said, I would like to propose that the following 30 Classic Rock Songs be banned from all radio for a period of one year. Just one year. Then you can bring them back, one at a time, or something like that.

We'll all be happier, although we'll get less exercise for not having to leap across the room with maniacal looks on our faces.

Cheers....

Dream On
The Joker
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
Old Time Rock and Roll
Cold as Ice
Head Games
Magic Man
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Free Bird
Layla
More Than a Feeling
Smoke on the Water
Fly Like an Eagle
Maggie May
Life in the Fast Lane
A Horse With No Name
Bad to the Bone
Hold On Loosely
Carry On Wayward Son
Miss You
Turn the Page
Running on Empty
Lady (Styx)
Jet Airliner
Takin' Care of Business
Lonely is the Night

i would listen to any and all of these, repeatedly, in return for the eagles and foreigner being taken off the radio permanently.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 28, 2015 20:08

Oh, man, how'd ya know? This is the permanent set list on my player...not!!! Outside of Miss You (and it's the long club mix version or whatever they called it then), I haven't heard any of these songs in ages. Probably because I don't listen to classic rock stations anymore. Most of what I listen to, if it's not from my own collection, is a few channels on satellite radio - The Loft, Real Jazz, the Sinatra channel which plays much of what's called The Great American Songbook by various singers and the blues channel.

As for what songs should be put on vacation for a year or so, I'd have to go back and listen to classic rock for a few days to figure out what I haven't heard for awhile and don't wanna hear again anytime soon. Think I'll pass on doing this. But I am interested to see what people come up with for this list. And, hey, I just thought of some songs to be rested for awhile: For What It's Worth, Somebody To Love and Turn Turn Turn.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 28, 2015 20:19

Did you by chance read this article online?

30+ Classic Rock Songs I Never Want to Hear Again

Thankfully I don't have to listen to much classic rock radio anymore. Between "the cloud", a good cd collection and satellite radio I rarely turn on broadcast radio other than our local news station.

That being said, I can remember the last time my wife and I drove from Mass to Tenn with the kids (2008) it seemed like Queen got airplay once per hour regardless of what rock station we had on. I'll also specifically state that "Renegade" by Styx could be removed from the playlist (and I actually like that song!)

Also, although I'm not sure that they fall under the heading of "classic rock" just about anything by Metallica or any Nirvana song is going to make me look for another station.

Peace
Mr DJA

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 28, 2015 20:34

dust in the wind
pretty much anything by kansas (which seems to have been a plot intended for dastardly evil ends brought about through aural assaults)

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: July 28, 2015 21:06

Turn on any classic rock station, pretty much every song they play.

Rock music in it's simple structure and attitude can and never will be what it was but I personally will search out the best new rock before I will live in the past contantly.

How many people really enjo the same song for the 500th time? Some do, I don't get it though.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 28, 2015 21:16

Take those 30 off and there won't be anything left. Classic rock stations have just as bad of a set list problem as the Stones. I mostly just listen to music on YouTube anymore.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2015 22:17

I like the cut uh your jib son.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 28, 2015 23:09

Mongoose
Cheers....

Dream On
The Joker
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
Old Time Rock and Roll
Cold as Ice
Head Games
Magic Man
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Free Bird
Layla
More Than a Feeling
Smoke on the Water
Fly Like an Eagle
Maggie May
Life in the Fast Lane
A Horse With No Name
Bad to the Bone
Hold On Loosely
Carry On Wayward Son
Miss You
Turn the Page
Running on Empty
Lady (Styx)
Jet Airliner
Takin' Care of Business
Lonely is the Night

Actually, there are only three, (maybe four) songs on this list that I ever liked in the first place. The rest of them I have always considered totally unlistenable crap and if I never heard them again it would be far too soon.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 28, 2015 23:30

Markdog
How many people really enjo the same song for the 500th time? Some do, I don't get it though.

People who go to every Stones concert? thumbs up

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: July 28, 2015 23:42

Pink Floyd, zeppelin, and tom petty. Not for just a year but NEVER AGAIN.

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: July 29, 2015 00:46

I don't find it a coincidence that Steve Miller is all over this list. I liked his stuff, yes, when it was fresh, but how it "made the cut" to be getting airplay 40 decades later eludes me.

I'd put Springsteen's "Rosalita" on the list. Love Bruce, but, even when his "catalog" was about 50 songs, never got it and always found it overrated.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 29, 2015 01:02

YES!!!! Someone else considers "Rosalita" overrated. I never got this one either considering how many better songs are in Springsteen's catalog. And, now that I think of it, if "Born To Run, Hungry Heart, Badlands", as three examples, disappeared from the airwaves for awhile, that'd be fine. Re the comment about Tom Petty "NEVER AGAIN", for certain songs I agree, but like Springsteen, there's some really good Petty tunes that never or very very rarely get played. Of course, if I never heard "The Long and Winding Road" or "Lady Madonna" again, it would be too soon. Do they play these on classic rock stations?

Date: July 29, 2015 18:21

Also anything by Boston, Bad Company and Foreigner. Although these were never even remotely close to being on my list of favorite bands, I did used to like them ok way back in the day. Classic Rock radio ruined that completely. Now I cringe when I hear them and have to change the radio station...

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 29, 2015 18:23

Any minute now people will start trashing The Beatles.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 19:53

Mongoose

Cheers....

Dream On
The Joker
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
Old Time Rock and Roll
Cold as Ice
Head Games
Magic Man
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Free Bird
Layla
More Than a Feeling
Smoke on the Water
Fly Like an Eagle
Maggie May
Life in the Fast Lane
A Horse With No Name
Bad to the Bone
Hold On Loosely
Carry On Wayward Son
Miss You
Turn the Page
Running on Empty
Lady (Styx)
Jet Airliner
Takin' Care of Business
Lonely is the Night

I wold add every song by:
Journey
Styx
Bon Jokey
REO
Foreigner
Almost all of Aerosmith
Doobie Brothers

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:16

I can't believe how popular Don't Stop Believing got years after its release in the early 80's. I'm not sure what the actual reason was. I know the Whitesox used that as their theme song when they won the World Series in the mid 2000's and it was also performed on Glee.
When I first saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of Stairway to Heaven.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:27

DGA35
I can't believe how popular Don't Stop Believing got years after its release in the early 80's. I'm not sure what the actual reason was. I know the Whitesox used that as their theme song when they won the World Series in the mid 2000's and it was also performed on Glee.
When I first saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of Stairway to Heaven.

You can blame "Glee" for that.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:33

Stones50
Mongoose

Cheers....

Dream On
The Joker
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
Old Time Rock and Roll
Cold as Ice
Head Games
Magic Man
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Free Bird
Layla
More Than a Feeling
Smoke on the Water
Fly Like an Eagle
Maggie May
Life in the Fast Lane
A Horse With No Name
Bad to the Bone
Hold On Loosely
Carry On Wayward Son
Miss You
Turn the Page
Running on Empty
Lady (Styx)
Jet Airliner
Takin' Care of Business
Lonely is the Night

I wold add every song by:
Journey
Styx
Bon Jokey
REO
Foreigner
Almost all of Aerosmith
Doobie Brothers

...especially Long Train Running....

.....this is the reason I cannot listen to Classic Rock radio any longer.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 30, 2015 00:45

They're not bad songs, most of them, but they are nonetheless none of the tunes or bands I have in my record collection, which is why I can do without them permanently.

I get enough of a dose when I go to the local liquor store for the evening lager, since the classic rock radio is always playing, and always the same playlist over and over.

This is the trouble with radio in general. It was the same with the oldies radio format, same with the mainstream modern rock stations, even the same syndrome with the so-called alternative rock stations. Even the classical stations have their top ten composers whose most popular works they play over and over.

Station programmers and the corporate entities that own them just want to reach as many listeners as possible with whatever signal they have at their disposal.

It's almost as if a station identification for any of these mainstream formatted radio stations should conclude with, "You want fries with that?"

Date: July 30, 2015 02:53

"Somebody to Love" by Queen is the absolute worst song that they play as a staple on the radio.

It needs to go.

The worst songs from 'Dirty Work' are much better than this.

"Hold on Loosely" is a good,upbeat song. Most of the songs on that list are good but,the heavy rotation could be dropped down a little bit.

More variety in the form of album tracks would be nice.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: July 30, 2015 03:03

Deltics
DGA35

You can blame "Glee" for that.

The Sopranos actually brought it back to the mainstream....

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 30, 2015 06:45

You are *never* escaping the 60s and 70s! angry smiley

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: July 30, 2015 07:06

Enough with "Sweet Home Alabama" already...

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 30, 2015 07:13

I'm finding that Bob Seger songs on the radio do not age well. Used to be quite alright with him say 35 years ago, but just no staying power.

Other songs

Jack and Diane
Pink Houses
Hurts So Good

Although some Mellencamp I still like- Cherry Bomb, Paper and Fire, Check It Out.

Ridin' The Storm Out (what does this song even mean?)
Keep On Loving You
Roll With The Changes

I'm finding Creedence doesn't age well for me anymore. It doesn't help that as a person John Fogerty is a real douche bag.

Daniel
Tiny Dancer
Your Song

For my money, not nearly enough All The Young Girls Love Alice or Funeral For A Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding gets played. Matter of fact all you radio programmers, drop Free Bird or Stairway to Heaven and play Funeral/Love instead,

Anything by Jimmy Buffet, especially Margaritaville, And I love margaritas.

I Shot The Sheriff (who cares?)

Don't Fear The Reaper (I no longer do)

Sweet Home Alabama - there are sooo many other great Skynyrd songs to play, yet to listen the radio, they only ever recorded two.

Anything by Rush (sorry, can't do it.)

Anything by the Doors. They were never that good. I admit I bought Love Her Madly when it came out. I liked the drums on it. So sue me, I was 12 years old.

Anything by Loverboy. All two of their songs.

Roundabout. Actually, most Yes.

Jethro Tull.

La Grange. ZZ Top is getting to be like Seger for me, sadly.

There's more, but I'll stop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home