Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones jam at Gyllene Cirkeln, Stockholm, September 4, 1970
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 7, 2015 17:46

Quote from an old thread:
I don't know if it's been mentioned here on IORR before, but after the 1970 Stockholm concert, the Stones (apparently frustrated by the near-riot at the concert) went to the jazz club Gyllene Cirkeln for a jam session. Among other things they played a 20 minute version of Love In Vain. The author Klas Östergren was there that night, and has given an animated account of that evening in his 1978 book Fantomerna.
parislocksmith [www.iorr.org]

In the book (a novel), Östergren describes how the "I" of it goes to the jazz club Gyllene Cirkeln after the Råsunda concert. After a while Mick Jagger appears at the bar getting a beer, and then the rest of the group comes up the stairs and also got beer at the bar. The "I" sat with his leg out from the table, and when the Stones (he names all of them, plus Buddy Guy) took the way towards the stage, they all tripped on his right shoe... (Yes, he kept the shoes!)
The group played long, slow blues numbers (on borrowed equipment). Eventually they ended with a half-hour Love In Vain with long solos by Buddy Guy.
The book being a novel, though - so how much are facts?

In a much later interview, Östergren states
Me, my sister and her boyfriend went to Gyllene Cirkeln after the concert at Råsunda. / The Stones showed up, and they had a jam session from midnight to 3-4 in the morning. / At the most we were 40 people in the audience. / Mick jagger needed cigarettes, and he got that from us. I lit three for him and he said "Thank you, mate". It was fun. And they were good!
He also says he still have those shoes.

The only other evidence of this jam session I´ve found is in an interview with Kim Fowley, who spent much of 1970 in Stocholm/Sweden, among other things producing his own LP "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and the Swedish heavy prog classic "I Am The Scorpion". He doesn´t remembered it the same way as Östergren...:
We went to see Stones at an outdoor arena (Råsunda), and then continued to Gyllene Cirkeln, where Buddy Guy and Junior Wells played. Mick Jagger came and went up to sing, but Buddy and Junior didn´t like that - they started playing "double rhythms" so that Jagger couldn´t follow. Then I went up on the stage and sang. They started playing "double rhythms" again, but I could keep up. The band couldn´t understand how a Swedish (they thought) guy could do it, when Mick Jagger couldn´t... (my translation from Swedish)
[erikssonskultursidor.wordpress.com]

So, some kind of jam session definitely took place!

Anyone know more about this?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-07 18:51 by rootsman.

Re: Stones jam at Gyllene Cirkeln, Stockholm, September 4, 1970
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 7, 2015 20:24

I'm afraid I don't. Have you asked "Brandis" (Ove Tingvall)? The second version sounds more plausible to me though. Klas Östergren is, after all, a writer...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 7, 2015 20:31

Östergren = too much LSD?
Kim Fowley = the queen of gossips

So...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 7, 2015 21:49

Stoneage
I'm afraid I don't. Have you asked "Brandis" (Ove Tingvall)? The second version sounds more plausible to me though. Klas Östergren is, after all, a writer...

Thanks!
I totally forgot to check Tingvall´s book Rolling Stones i Sverige...

In it he writes that after the concert Mick T, Bill and Charlie went to Gyllene Cirkeln, where they jammed with some local musicians. (no mention of Buddy Guy/Junior Wells)
Mick J, Keith and Anita went to restaurant Cecil/nightclub Alexandra, where, after being hassled by a photographer, Keith threw a whiskey-glass into the camera. Some kind of fight broke out, and after it calmed down, the trio left the nightclub. (to where, it doesn´t say)

Maybe they, too, went to Gyllene Cirkeln?

So, there´s (at least) three conflicting info-bits about this...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 7, 2015 22:04

Yes, Rootsman. Ove T is, probably, as good a source
as you would ever get. Time to plug his book then:

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 7, 2015 22:31

Interesting story!
No mention of it on www.nzentgraf.de.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home