Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The making -of of "The Rolling Stones At The Max "
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 6, 2011 13:47

I've never seen the" Stones at the Max " behind-the-scenes.I must confess I only have the tape,not the DVD .
Is there any more footage of the making -of ? Thanks .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: The making -of of "The Rolling Stones At The Max "
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:03

Nope, anyway it's nice to watch Bill and The boys with their Fender Guitars...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:25

What I found interesting was seeing how they overdubbed (I don't know what else to call it when you shoot synced sound to new film) to the music and Mick was 300 feet away from the mic for Ruby Tuesday.

And Keith's blown intro for HTW was a horrible overdub - he does nothing on film that is on audio.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:33

1990 was still early days for iMax films. The Stones didn't want to interrupt the concert to set up shots so they filmed the concert and then afterwards did close-up's miming to the soundboard recording in an empty stadium for the cameras to pick up shots that would not have been possible to do without ruining the view or delaying the show for audiences. Not everything in the film was done afterhours, but the best shots certainly were. Not exactly disingenuous since you're still hearing what they played and sang a few hours earlier.

Date: May 6, 2011 17:47

I understand that. It's just funny. There must've been a pretty serious budget to allow such a screw up as the intro to HTW to be left the way it was!

And one thing I remember reading about that tour was that the cowbell for the song was sampled at 3 different rates, giving them the option of changing the timbre and key of the note for whatever reason, yet there is whoever "playing" the cowbell.

Date: May 7, 2011 16:52

skipstone
I understand that. It's just funny. There must've been a pretty serious budget to allow such a screw up as the intro to HTW to be left the way it was!

And one thing I remember reading about that tour was that the cowbell for the song was sampled at 3 different rates, giving them the option of changing the timbre and key of the note for whatever reason, yet there is whoever "playing" the cowbell.

Plus wasn't it during this tour when Jagger began to sing something like "Honky tonk, Honky tonk Women "& repeat it instead of singing as he used to do "it's a honnnhonhonhoonky tonk women" if you understand what I mean ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: May 7, 2011 17:05

No. Listen to HTW on Love You Live (the best version of the song ever I think). The 'honky tonk, honky tonk' chorus is much better than that long one worded chorus.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:22

SwayStones
Plus wasn't it during this tour when Jagger began to sing something like "Honky tonk, Honky tonk Women "& repeat it instead of singing as he used to do "it's a honnnhonhonhoonky tonk women" if you understand what I mean ?
Didn't he already do that at Hyde Park? Of course, he did it "properly" again later on, but still...

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:48

one word comes to mind when i think of The Rolling Stones At The Max: cheesy.

Date: May 7, 2011 17:52

Ah, yes, to a point. But the beginning was very cool. And in the proper theatre, it was nice and loud. Start Me Up was good, as was IORR, including the screw up. Ruby Tuesday was an absolute snore.

It did a great job of conveying the energy that was onstage.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:42

The thing with IMAX is that pretty much everything looks (and sounds) amazing in that format. You can't go wrong with it. Therefore it was a huge disappointment to watch "Stones at the Max". My overall impression is that it was a fake, mimed concert with heavy overdubbing.

Date: May 7, 2011 19:48

I believe it was also the first movie of its kind ie concert movies. Nowadays it's done much better. Like Shine A Light.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:52

I have complete dokumentary somewhere,its about 30mins long.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:56

Was "SAL" made in IMAX and shown at IMAX theatres? I saw it in a regular Movie Theatre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 20:02 by Stoneage.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: May 7, 2011 20:02

Thanks!!!!

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 13, 2011 18:21

Stoneage
Was "SAL" made in IMAX and shown at IMAX theatres? I saw it in a regular Movie Theatre.

So did I the four times I swa the movie ,even in Paris for the "press première"

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 13, 2011 18:25

I wouldn't brag about that...

Date: May 13, 2011 18:28

dewlover
I wouldn't brag about that...

Bragging about what ? Having seen the movie 4 times on theaters or haven't seen him on ImAX theatres ?smiling smiley

Date: May 13, 2011 18:39

I saw it in IMAX.

Only once.

It was much better in a theatre than on DVD ha ha ha ha ha...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 13, 2011 19:00

SwayStones
I've never seen the" Stones at the Max " behind-the-scenes.I must confess I only have the tape,not the DVD .
Is there any more footage of the making -of ? Thanks .

Does Bill look even more bored than usual in this video.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 20:12

Thanks for posting. I only caught the film on TV last year and enjoyed it more than I expected. Don't mind the overdubbing, really...Keith said GET YER YA YAS OUT has overdubbing. An album worshiped by some (not me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 20:12 by Title5Take1.

Date: May 14, 2011 20:20

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: August 13, 2013 18:02

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 13, 2013 18:44

Cowbell is Matt - look at around 3:20

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 14, 2013 03:29

skipstone
I believe it was also the first movie of its kind ie concert movies.

There is a "concert movie" from the early 70s you should seek out: it's titled LADIES & GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2013 03:41

Glam Descendant
skipstone

There is a "concert movie" from the early 70s you should seek out: it's titled LADIES & GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES .

They show LADIES & GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES in iMax too?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 14, 2013 05:24

FreeBird
SwayStones
Didn't he already do that at Hyde Park? Of course, he did it "properly" again later on, but still...

funny you mention that. I was trying to figure out when he changed the way he sings JJF. From "but it's aaaaaallllllllllrriiiiiighttttt now....", to "but it's all right, yes it's alright..."

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 14, 2013 05:45

>funny you mention that. I was trying to figure out when he changed the way he sings JJF. From "but it's aaaaaallllllllllrriiiiiighttttt now....", to "but it's all right, yes it's alright..."

He was already singing it that way in '69 (see GS).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 14, 2013 11:24

GasLightStreet
Glam Descendant
skipstone

They show LADIES & GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES in iMax too?

No, it was before the IMAX technology. I enjoyed Stones @ the IMAX but Shine a Light was a better movie & Scorcese made good use of the format.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: August 14, 2013 11:31

skipstone

It's a good movie and HTW is a good song but that Mick's shirt is really annoying, it's almost hard to watch the movie because of that.

And his short hair style is also a bit annoying too...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home