Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 15
Jagger at Grammy awards
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 3, 2011 14:57

NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Recording Academy is finally getting some satisfaction, with Mick Jagger's first appearance on the Grammy stage.

The Rolling Stones frontman will perform at the Feb. 13 ceremony as part of a tribute to soul great Solomon Burke, who died last year. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer opened for the Rolling Stones several times during his career comeback late in life.

Jagger will perform with soul singer Raphael Saadiq during the 53rd annual Grammy Awards, which will air live on CBS from the Staples Center in Los Angeles (8 p.m. EST).

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/mick-jagger-first-appearance-grammy-stage-20110203-030202-983.html

Re: Jagger at Grammy awards
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: February 3, 2011 15:14

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 3, 2011 15:20

Mick will probably sing "Everybody needs somebody to love". The stones did a good rendition of the Solomon's hit during the LicksTour(DVD a l'Olympia).They had already covered the song at the beginning of their career in the early 60's.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 3, 2011 15:31

I wonder if he'll perform with the Muppets as they are on the same bill, that'll be a first.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: February 3, 2011 15:47

Thanks, good news!!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 3, 2011 16:03

[www.billboard.com]

"We're thrilled, delighted, excited and very much looking forward to Mick doing his debut on the Grammy stage," said Neil Portnow, president and CEO of the Recording Academy. "It's extraordinary to many of us that the fact is, this will be the first time; he has never performed on the Grammy stage."

This won't be Jagger's first appearance on a Grammy telecast. In 1986, the Rolling Stones were given a lifetime achievement award byEric Clapton, and they performed on the show by satellite.

"We did a remote from London, and it was at least three o'clock there," said show producer Ken Ehrlich.

"I think they had been celebrating a little time before we went on camera," he said. "It was quite a moment."

Ehrlich has produced the show for 31 years and has always wanted Jagger and the Stones to perform, but it didn't work out until this year.

Ehrlich said it was Jagger's admiration for Burke that brought him to the Grammy stage.

"He's asked me not to go into detail about what he's doing, but I think when you see the performance, it will make a lot sense," said Ehrlich. "I think it was the idea of the performance that was intriguing to him and really brought him here."

When asked who was left on his list of must-have Grammy performers, Ehrlich, noting the numerous legends who have appeared on the Grammy stage, said: "In all honestly, that's about it."

I like the photo Billboard.com posted to illustrate this storycool smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 3, 2011 17:11

Good for Mick. Too bad it couldn't be the whole band.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 3, 2011 17:56

proudmary
This won't be Jagger's first appearance on a Grammy telecast. In 1986, the Rolling Stones were given a lifetime achievement award byEric Clapton, and they performed on the show by satellite.

"We did a remote from London, and it was at least three o'clock there," said show producer Ken Ehrlich.

"I think they had been celebrating a little time before we went on camera," he said. "It was quite a moment."

Well, at least Charlie was! Probably the only time in documented history when Keith Richards needs to take care of Charlie...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 17:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:23

Jagger alone?

more evidence that Keith physically can't play guitar anymore.

if Keith was able...I would've expected a Jagger/Richards appearance like the CONCERT FOR NEW YORK (911).

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:25

sweet neo con
Jagger alone?

if Keith was able...I would've expected a Jagger/Richards appearance like the CONCERT FOR NEW YORK (911).

Yes .

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:35

Doxa
proudmary

Well, at least Charlie was! Probably the only time in documented history when Keith Richards needs to take care of Charlie...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

omg I remember watching that...it was hilarious. Charlie said something about the Grammy having something on it.. then Kenny Rogers angry smiley made his pissy little comment..

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:49

Wheels. Charlie thought the Grammy should have wheels on it. And Mick was the one with the pissy comment. Kenny Rogers just looked uncomfortable like everyone else in LA caught on camera at the end of the speech. It may have been the last appearance of the anti-establishment Mick Jagger. Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Award and telling a huge television audience, "To all the people who took the piss, the joke's on you" has to be a first.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:58

which I thought was hilarious. what bugged me was when Rogers then said 'yeah we're all real excited about it here, too, guys"..

never liked his music anyway..
smiling smiley

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:59

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:02

"Intact" ... they laugh
never saw this; great

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:03

VOODOOSEBI

Eric forgot to mention Mick Taylor, what's wrong with Eric?

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:15

I remember watching it live. It's even funnier now.

Date: February 3, 2011 19:20

Charlie was in high spirit, was it when he was on drugs? Had he taken a shot of something?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:26

I like to see a little of that cocky attitude back next time around.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:33

from the official web site

http://www.rollingstones.com/news/

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:37

Charlie is ever-so-slightly sozzled, it seems smileys with beer

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:38

sweet neo con
Jagger alone?

I think it's evidence that Mick can't be on one stage with Keith Richards anymore.
Like Elton John said(after being asked about Keith's book)
He says, "I was a bit put off by hearing the bit about Mick's penis. I'm a big Mick fan. If I said that Bernie Taupin was a miserable c**t and had a small penis, he'd probably never talk to me again.
"It's like, 'Why do that?' especially with someone you're in a working relationship with."
[www.contactmusic.com]

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 3, 2011 20:43

I'm more than a little concerned about the possible song selection. I recall Jagger's singing on "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" being less than stellar on the Four Flicks DVD.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 3, 2011 20:50

It's obvious that Keith isn't going to even pick up the guitar and TRY to get in shape until he is paid for it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 3, 2011 20:59

Rocky Dijon
Wheels. Charlie thought the Grammy should have wheels on it. And Mick was the one with the pissy comment. Kenny Rogers just looked uncomfortable like everyone else in LA caught on camera at the end of the speech. It may have been the last appearance of the anti-establishment Mick Jagger. Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Award and telling a huge television audience, "To all the people who took the piss, the joke's on you" has to be a first.

it's true--this appearance has struck me as a great moment for the group, tarnished only by charlie's sad state.

there's something comparable in the BBC doc Stones in Morocco, on the recording with the Master Musicians for "Continental Drift." The whole film has this flat, unsettled atmosphere (which I actually found fascinating and illuminating), until the last scene, which is the photo session for the album promotion, and we finally the band in their usual element. There's a bit of crackle in the air as they pose and laugh. But it makes you realize the brilliance of the film previously has been not to present them as they usually insist on being presented, as rock stars.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: February 3, 2011 20:59

Never saw that clip, they looked good back then, still dangerous

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 3, 2011 21:03

I dunno how much of Keith's absence is based on his physical ability to play the guitar. If anything it shows how anti-social Keith is even for these tribute pieces. It makes sense for Mick to go...he likes the glitz and the attention. Keith can do without it. Plus, he prolly can't stand being in the same room with some of these people that he does not respect. I'm not defending Keith's choice not to appear--I think he should go. It irks me how aloof Keith can get.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 3, 2011 21:06

I don't know... Burke seems more of a touchstone for mick as a singer than for keith as a writer or player for the group. I don't see why keith should be expected to go.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2011 21:19

Good luck Mick .........Cry To Me

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2011 21:33

There is no connection between Mick's apperance at Grammy and Keith being able to play or not. Mick goes to social events by himself, so does Keith. They are not like two small dogs running after each other all the time. Mick's there because of Solomon Burke together with other soul singers - that's why.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home