Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live at The Max
Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: July 14, 2013 22:58

My DVR picked this one up the other night and I gave it a look. Hold up well. Some random thoughts:

- Love the opening scene where Continental Drift is finishing up and the band comes on stage before the curtain goes up. Charlie does his Cotton Club wiggle, Ronnie's all nervous energy, Mick like a prize fighter about to enter the ring and Keith transforming into Keef.

- God damn Bill Wyman could play some bass.

- It's incredible how little Mick has aged in 23 years.

- Where was Lisa? The two girls singing w Bernard were both hot but not in Lisa's league vocally. Did she have a schedule conflict w the Urban Jungle tour? I seem to recall she and Cindy Mazzelle w Bernard on the American leg.

- Keith's solo in Happy was awesome. Just tore it up.

- Chuck didn't bug me near as much then as he does now.

- As great as they have sounded on this just completed tour, it's pretty apparent that this is the Mick Jagger review now and he's in complete control. At the Max recalled a time when Mick was the consummate showman but Keith really seemed to be the driving force of the rhythm on stage. Wonder how much of that is simply due to Keith's deterioration?

- There were plenty of flubbed chords/ missed cues etc. It's all part of the charm of the Stones live.

- I really liked that stage. That was probably the last big rock tour that didn't have enormous video screens.

Re: Live at The Max
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 00:03

Lisa was not on the tour after the tokyo shows

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: July 15, 2013 00:57

I agree with you on all Points. This tour was Amazing in my opinion.
Keith was a totally differnt guitarplayer back then. He knew how to play the intro to start me up haha. Though I prefer the Urban Jungle stage I also like the stage from Steel Wheels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-15 00:58 by IsakSun.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 15, 2013 03:08

LISA WAS MAKING A HIT SOLO RECORD.
MATT CLIFFORD MADE ME WANT TO HANG MYSELF.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:06

BILLPERKS

Now that's some fine postin'grinning smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:15

The highlight is Keith's ability to play guitar licks without even touching the strings. Amazing.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:17

I find that DVD shrill and overly loud, and the separation is just too clean, like when you hear a guitar solo it comes in like your hearing it on a studio CD. But this is from listening on headphones.

I prefer the sound of Let's Spend The Night Together, where the sound is all there in the middle, rather than on the right or left of your headphones like a slick stereo studio recording.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:34

CMH516
My DVR picked this one up the other night and I gave it a look. Hold up well. Some random thoughts:

- Love the opening scene where Continental Drift is finishing up and the band comes on stage before the curtain goes up. Charlie does his Cotton Club wiggle, Ronnie's all nervous energy, Mick like a prize fighter about to enter the ring and Keith transforming into Keef.

- Where was Lisa? The two girls singing w Bernard were both hot but not in Lisa's league vocally. Did she have a schedule conflict w the Urban Jungle tour? I seem to recall she and Cindy Mazzelle w Bernard on the American leg.

- As great as they have sounded on this just completed tour, it's pretty apparent that this is the Mick Jagger review now and he's in complete control. At the Max recalled a time when Mick was the consummate showman but Keith really seemed to be the driving force of the rhythm on stage. Wonder how much of that is simply due to Keith's deterioration?

- There were plenty of flubbed chords/ missed cues etc. It's all part of the charm of the Stones live.

- I really liked that stage. That was probably the last big rock tour that didn't have enormous video screens.

Why does Chuck bug you? Because that's the "cool" thing to say?

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:36

stonehearted
I find that DVD shrill and overly loud, and the separation is just too clean, like when you hear a guitar solo it comes in like your hearing it on a studio CD. But this is from listening on headphones.

I prefer the sound of Let's Spend The Night Together, where the sound is all there in the middle, rather than on the right or left of your headphones like a slick stereo studio recording.

So you prefer a mono soundtrack over a well mixed live stereo recording? Too each his own I guess.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:37

stonehearted

Yeah but the dvd of let's spend the night together messed up the sound

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:38

GumbootCloggeroo
The highlight is Keith's ability to play guitar licks without even touching the strings. Amazing.

That Honky Tonk Women intro is hilariously horrible, that film overdub! That and Ruby Tuesday!

Date: July 15, 2013 04:44

Godxofxrock9
stonehearted

Yeah but the dvd of let's spend the night together messed up the sound

I still like listening to it. Sounds fine to me.

Date: July 15, 2013 04:50

oldschool
stonehearted

So you prefer a mono soundtrack over a well mixed live stereo recording? Too each his own I guess.

Yes. I also prefer the mono Beatles CDs over the stereo CDs, and when I can find them, mono Stones sound better as well.

When you are at a concert, you are listening in mono. Mono more perfectly replicates the live sound of the concert. The stereo studio mix of this imax concert creates a barrier, because it's not really the way the concert sounded.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 15, 2013 05:11

RockinJive
CMH516

he said DIDN'T

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2013 05:35

HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch at :21 seconds in! And then at :36 seconds!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 15, 2013 07:18

stonehearted

There were so many guitar solo overdubs on that DVD it really does take away from how the tour sounded. Compare audio to the Tokyo '90 or Wembley '90 for comparison.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 15, 2013 19:03

sweet neo con
RockinJive
CMH516

he said DIDN'T

He said he bugs him now. That's what asked.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 15, 2013 19:05

The Bluray version is the one to get :
[www.blu-ray.com]

Chuck's pling-plong is even clearer on the BR! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 15, 2013 19:16

The 5.1 mix on my DVD was unlistenable with it's guitar parts coming out of nowhere in the mix. The Blu-Ray improved on that for some reason, I suppose they redid the mix...anyway I don't really like to watch/listen to material from that tour, a bit too "slick", for lack of a better word.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 15, 2013 22:09

I CANT BELIEVE THEY EVEN RELEASED THIS HORRORSHOW.
ATLANTIC CITY & TOKYO ARE NEARLY FLAWLESS,IMHO.
IT IS NICE TO LOOK AT ,THOUGH.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 15, 2013 22:11

BILLPERKS

Is that why you left after this tour?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-15 22:14 by ryanpow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2013 23:20

RockinJive
CMH516

Regardless of what you actually think, it is in fact the 'cool' thing to say.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 15, 2013 23:40

stonehearted

There's a 'Making of' on YouTube, see the IORR-Thread 'The making of Live at the Max'.

Maybe this gives some explanations.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 15, 2013 23:43

The opening of Live at the Max is great. It captures the excitement of seeing the Stones hit the stage.

Posted by: Martijnstone ()
Date: July 15, 2013 23:45

Lisa Fischer toured in 1990 with Luther Vandross.
Lorelei McBroom and Sophia Jones did backings (together with Bernard Fowler) in 1990.

Date: July 15, 2013 23:55

GasLightStreet
HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean with the "invisible" fingers on the fretboard, so that the guitar appears to be "playing itself"?

Just one more reason why I like Let's Spend The Night Together so much better.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 16, 2013 00:00

treaclefingers
RockinJive
CMH516

Regardless of what you actually think, it is in fact the 'cool' thing to say.

That's so cool...it's a making a difference...

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 01:53

Why does Chuck bug me now? Well- simply because you asked- I don't think he handles his role with the appropriate humility. He acts way too much like he's now the 5th Stone.

I watched Let's Spend The Night Together recently and was struck by the blue collar musicianship of the two Ians.

I didn't intend for this to be the zillionth thread about Chuck. Just wanted to offer the simple observation that that element of his behavior seems to have evolved and was not always the case.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 16, 2013 02:08

Ah...89-90, Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle...the last truly great tour.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 16, 2013 02:30

stonehearted
GasLightStreet
HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean with the "invisible" fingers on the fretboard, so that the guitar appears to be "playing itself"?

Just one more reason why I like Let's Spend The Night Together so much better.

Yep. I played that for a friend back in 05 to explain why I liked the band so much. Suddenly he 'got it'. Love the cinematography in LSTNT too! Wide shots held for 10-20 seconds! Glorious!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1337
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home