Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

10 of the11 Warhol paintings stolen in Thalwil (Zurich - Switzerland) are Mick Jagger portraits
Posted by: FolkyFireKitten1 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 11:53

Couldn't find any article about it in English.
Here two links in French:
6 days ago: [www.24heures.ch]
12 hours ago: [www.24heures.ch]
[www.tsr.ch]

A rough translation of the last one:
The 11 paintings stolen during the last week of December are works by the American artist Andy Warhol. They're all about the same subject, the portrait of the Rolling Stones singer, Mick Jagger, in various variations. The police broadcasted on its site the photos of the stolen paintings, the total value of 500,000 francs. The burglars returned into the house by the cellar.

The paintings were stolen in Thalwil, near Zurich.

Here'is the link to the Police site (in German): [www.kapo.zh.ch]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 16:06 by FolkyFireKitten1.

Re: 11 Warhol paintings stolen in Switzerland
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2011 11:58

"un appartement en attique"

What's that?

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 12:06

I'm not sure of the translation but should be: a penthouse

Date: January 6, 2011 12:08

Stone601
I'm not sure of the translation but should be: a penthouse

Yes, you're right, it's an apartment on the last floor, as I could find (attic in English has the same root).

Facts happened between the 23th and 30th of December 2010.
Please spread the word, I'm sure we can help on this one.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 12:18 by FolkyFireKitten1.

Date: January 6, 2011 12:27

Attique definition in French:

Architecture: couronnement horizontal décoratif ou petit étage terminal d'une construction, placés au-dessus d'une corniche ou d'une frise importante.

=> Small terminal floor of a building, situated over a ledge.

Re: 11 Warhol paintings stolen in Thalwil (Zurich - Switzerland) are Mick Jagger portraits
Date: January 6, 2011 13:39

Translation of the other last French article:

They have the same pattern in several variations: a portrait of the singer Mick Jagger. Paintings are signed by the artist and his model.

The police of Zurich broadcasted the photos of the stolen paintings on its website. Their value is 500,000 francs, as they indicated on Wednesday. The facts took place between December 23th and 30th.

The burglars managed to infiltrate into the house by the cellar. They stole the paintings in an apartment situated at the last floor.

I asked for the translation of "appartement en attique" to a friend who lives in Zurich, and he said that's it.

Re: 11 Warhol paintings stolen in Thalwil (Zurich - Switzerland) are Mick Jagger portraits
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 6, 2011 13:58

Excuse my sense of humor, but that's funny- a Stones Fan art thief. Or perhaps "thief in the night" Then again he, she (or they) stole Mick.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 6, 2011 14:34

10 Paintings, numbered editions, all signed by Warhol and Jagger. You must be a big fan to steal these, or the burglars know a big (and rich) fan who is willing to pay for them. I cannot imagine these items being sold in public.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 6, 2011 14:37

Did they steal those paintings alone, or were they part of a bigger haul of other valuables as well?

Question arises, was it a burglary on order of a lunatic fan, someone who would hide the paitings away in his basement, or was it a burglary focused on the sales value of the loot, or was it all just coincidence?

Will be interesting to follow up this story.

50,000 SFR a piece is a lot. I had seen one paiting of this series ca 1981 in a gallery at 2,200 DEM. Should have bought it then.

Date: January 6, 2011 14:47

Here's pics of the 10 (over a total of 11) Mick paintings:

Date: January 6, 2011 15:00

Since Zurich is in the German speaking area, I guess you'll have answers to some of your questions on German news sites...

Found this artcle but can't translate all: [www.nzz.ch]

Re: 10 of the11 Warhol paintings stolen in Thalwil (Zurich - Switzerland) are Mick Jagger portraits
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2011 17:37

Attique (n, m) :
"ornement d'architecture qui couronne un édifice ou la partie supérieure d'une façade, et qui a pour objet de dissimuler le toit"

500 000 Swiss Francs? Wow...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 17:38 by dcba.

Re: 10 of the11 Warhol paintings stolen in Thalwil (Zurich - Switzerland) are Mick Jagger portraits
Date: January 6, 2011 17:45

attic / attique / Attika-Wohnung

The news report speaks about an "Attika-Wohnung" which is Schwyzerdütsch (the Swiss variety of the German language) and simply translates into "penthouse".

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 18:04

FolkyFireKitten1

Andy Warhol original paintings costs millions dollars (the kind you can watch in Warhol's Pittsburgh Museum, Tate Modern or MoMA).
In this case, the stolen stuff are "only" numbered screen prints (250 of each were printed).
This is not the Mona Lisa theft ! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 18:07 by Massimo68.

Date: January 6, 2011 18:16

If the (signed) prints are numbered "4/50", doesn't that mean that particular piece is # 4 out of a series of 50 pcs?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 6, 2011 18:18

dead.flowers
If the (signed) prints are numbered "4/50", doesn't that mean that particular piece is # 4 out of a series of 50 pcs?

Yes,dead.flowers ,for me it does mean this .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 6, 2011 18:18

Massimo68
FolkyFireKitten1

Andy Warhol original paintings costs millions dollars (the kind you can watch in Warhol's Pittsburgh Museum, Tate Modern or MoMA).
In this case, the stolen stuff are "only" numbered screen prints (250 of each were printed).
This is not the Mona Lisa theft ! grinning smiley

In the French articles, they say "tableaux" and the English translation for "tableaux" (Art) is "painting". There's no other translation for such a general word, unfortunately winking smiley

Date: January 6, 2011 18:19

SwayStones
dead.flowers

Yes,dead.flowers ,for me it does mean this .
Yes, that's right.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 18:33

Mick and Andy signing them.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 6, 2011 18:47

Whaouh ,Title5Take1 ,I never saw this photo .Thanks !smileys with beer

I guessed that Warhol's paintings were robbed from apartments many many times before but what I didn't know is that happened almost in the same time inaother part of the world:

AFP) – Dec 25, 2010

Police in New York have asked for public assistance in tracking a half a dozen paintings by Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein that were stolen from an apartment in November.

A police statement made public Friday said the burglary took place between November 24 and 28 when an unknown suspect broke through a hallway wall into the apartment and removed artwork, watches and other jewelry.

The painting include "Superman", "The Truck" and "Camouflage" by Andy Warhol as well as Lichtenstein's "Moonscape" and "Thinking Nude."

Date: January 6, 2011 19:02

SwayStones
Whaouh ,Title5Take1 ,I never saw this photo .Thanks !smileys with beer

I guessed that Warhol's paintings were robbed from apartments many many times before but what I didn't know is that happened almost in the same time inaother part of the world:

AFP) – Dec 25, 2010

Police in New York have asked for public assistance in tracking a half a dozen paintings by Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein that were stolen from an apartment in November.

A police statement made public Friday said the burglary took place between November 24 and 28 when an unknown suspect broke through a hallway wall into the apartment and removed artwork, watches and other jewelry.

The painting include "Superman", "The Truck" and "Camouflage" by Andy Warhol as well as Lichtenstein's "Moonscape" and "Thinking Nude."

Wow! Just a month earlier... Thank you for the info SwayStones

(BTW, can you send me an e-mail please, I had so much problem with my computer some months ago, I lost many things

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 19:23

Here's the real stuff, an original AW drawing and collage, so much valuable than a "deluxe poster" printed by dozens:

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 20:40

Here it's possible to download imagines of the stolen arts
[www.kapo.zh.ch]

Date: January 6, 2011 22:53

Title5Take1
Mick and Andy signing them.

Yeah, thank you Title5Take1. Great find. Wow!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 23:24

The Mick-and-Andy pic is from Warhol's DIARIES (the photo was taken by the editor).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home