Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do you remember P.P. Arnold??
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: March 19, 2013 22:41

I ever like her songs. Think, she was of the "IKKETES", the Backround singers of Ike and Tina turner. She started a solo-carreer supported with Mick jagger and the small faces. Immidiate label, back in 1967. Anybody of you have a video of "Boulder from birmingham?"

Re: Do you remember P.P. Arnold??
Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: March 19, 2013 23:13

Yes of course. She had the first released version of "The first cut is the deepest",
before Cat Stevens recorded it himself. Hers is the definite version. Also the first
released version of "Bury me down by the river", the Bee Gees song. Great again. Her two Immediate albums "Kafunta" and "The first lady of Immediate" are also very good.
I saw her as a backup singer for Roger Waters sometime in the nineties, her voice still in great shape. Don't know what she's doing these days.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: March 19, 2013 23:15

There's a few nice clips of her on Youtube.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 19, 2013 23:19

Music video for single:

On Beat Club in 1967:

Live in 2011:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2013 23:25

YEAH ....( If You Think ) Your Groovy ..... mighty mighty song

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 19, 2013 23:29

walkingthedog
I saw her as a backup singer for Roger Waters sometime in the nineties, her voice still in great shape. Don't know what she's doing these days.
I believe she still is one of his backup singers. The stand out one of the backup singers, I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-19 23:30 by RollingFreak.

Date: March 19, 2013 23:33

Your Groovy---cant find it on youtube

Date: March 19, 2013 23:41

P.P. Arnold and Doris Troy both sang at wedding reception....

Here ya go HAVO ...dug this outta Connections for ya ..........

ROCKMAN

Date: March 19, 2013 23:49

Taken from the liner notes of P.P. Arnold - The First Cut .....Immediate CMRCD233

ROCKMAN

Date: March 19, 2013 23:52

Havo

It's there, a clip from 1968 French television, backed by The Small Faces. Video begins at 0:13.

Date: March 19, 2013 23:55

RollingFreak
walkingthedog
I believe she still is one of his backup singers. The stand out one of the backup singers, I believe.

Here she is taking a vocal lead on Perfect Sense during a Roger Waters show from 5 November 2008.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 20, 2013 00:03

P.P. Arnold, Rod Stewart B Fallon and Ginger Baker’s daughter at the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival, 1967

Date: March 20, 2013 00:05

thanx for the pics---NICOS

Date: March 20, 2013 00:30

Never knew The Bee Gees wrote this tune for Otis Redding

This P.P. Arnold performance is from 1969. P. P. Arnold (born Patricia Ann Cole, October 3, 1946, Los Angeles, California) is an American-born soul singer who enjoyed considerable success in the United Kingdom in the 1960s and beyond. At the request of Robert Stigwood, the Bee Gee's manager, Barry and Robin Gibb wrote "To Love Somebody", a soulful ballad in the style of Sam & Dave or The Rascals, for Otis Redding. The Bee Gees recorded "To Love Somebody" at IBC Studios, London in March 1967 and released it as a single in mid-July 1967 in the U.S. Redding died in an aeroplane crash later that year, before having a chance to record the song. The simple title refrain of the chorus, You don't know what it's like, Baby, you don't know what it's like, To love somebody...the way I love you is at once heartbreaking and triumphant, a self-pitying put-down to an unrequited love. There's...a certain kind of light that never shines on me, You ain't got to be so glad, I'm a man, can't you see what I am?, I live and breathe for you, But what good does that do, If I ain't got you?.

Date: March 20, 2013 00:32

Published on Nov 8, 2012
"Angel of the Morning" is a song written by Chip Taylor that has been recorded many times, charting as a hit single for multiple artists including Merrilee Rush, Juice Newton, Nina Simone, P.P. Arnold, Olivia Newton-John, The Pretenders/Chrissie Hynde, Dusty Springfield, Mary Mason, Melba Montgomery, and Billie Davis. P.P. Arnold spent several years touring the US as an Ikette with the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. She came to England in 1966 with the Revue in support of The Rolling Stones. Impressed by her powerful and soulful voice, Mick Jagger convinced Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham to sign Arnold to a recording contract with his newly founded Immediate Records record label. Arnold quit the Turner band to remain in London and establish a solo career. (Heft-yneal)

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 20, 2013 01:34

Beautiful lady with a hell of a voice.

She popped up on Oasis' Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants album back in 2000, as well.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: March 20, 2013 01:49

Loved her with the Small Faces on "Tin Soldier."

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: March 20, 2013 05:21

Havo

It's the 2nd song in this 3 song live set:

Date: March 20, 2013 07:05

P.P. Arnold and Doris Troy both sang at Mick/Bianca wedding reception

P.P Arnold was in the audience at memorial show for Ian Stewart 100 Club London 23 Feb 1986

Though It Hurts Me Badly produced by Mick Jagger B-side of If You Think Your Groovy

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 20, 2013 08:09

Rockman
YEAH ....( If You Think ) Your Groovy ..... mighty mighty song

With the Small Faces.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 20, 2013 11:56

NICOS

P.P. Arnold, Rod Stewart B Fallon and Ginger Baker’s daughter at the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival, 1967

Rod looks like Paul Weller in this photo.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 20, 2013 12:15

Nope, but she looks real nice....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 20, 2013 13:27

Rockman

Taken from the liner notes of P.P. Arnold - The First Cut .....Immediate CMRCD233

Thanks for these articles Rockman.
Nobody seems to notice...ain't MJ a truly nice guy caring like this for fellow (female) musicians?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-20 13:29 by Dreamer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home