Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Is your wine the right temperature - The Stones likes wine, don't they?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 5, 2012 17:31

It's the dog days of August so enjoy your glass of wine, just make sure it's the right temperature. In an attempt to make it somewhat Stones related, I note that the boys, minus Ronnie, like their reds and whites.

[blogs.smithsonianmag.com]

Re: OT: Is your wine the right temperature - The Stones likes wine, don't they?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 5, 2012 17:33

Mick lost his ass on a wine investment a few years ago.

Date: August 5, 2012 17:34

Edith Grove

Man, that's tough. He never had much of one to begin with.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 5, 2012 19:51

Edith Grove

on what, Bordeaux futures? what happened?

cool smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 5, 2012 20:22

duke richardson
Edith Grove

on what, Bordeaux futures? what happened?

cool smiley

I remember around '02-'03 reading an article about Mick losing money on a cache of wine he bought thinking it would go up in value, but it didn't.

Hey, you can't always get what you want !

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 5, 2012 21:30

Everyone knows Keith is the x-pert on wine in the Stones camp.

Date: August 5, 2012 21:38

I remember something about a case of Puerto Rican wine..and some girls that were just dying to drink it...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 5, 2012 22:55

Bill German once interviewed Keith and asked his favorite wine. Keith said, "For red, Lafite-Rothschild."

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 5, 2012 23:21

Title5Take1
Bill German once interviewed Keith and asked his favorite wine. Keith said, "For red, Lafite-Rothschild."

that comment kinda hits me sideways. i guess he ain't much for drinkin' any fukking merlot, then....

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 6, 2012 00:05

thanks for posting - might try the suggestion to fridge the reds and unfridge the whites 30 minutes before serving.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2012 00:40

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2012 01:05

I love how all of you have related this to the Stones, I should get rid of the OT. However, I was just about to offer 5 bucks to anyone who actually read the article, but then I saw that Natlanta actually took a look at it. smileys with beer

Date: August 6, 2012 01:05

Natlanta
thanks for posting - might try the suggestion to fridge the reds and unfridge the whites 30 minutes before serving.

thumbs up

Date: August 6, 2012 01:07

latebloomer
I love how all of you have related this to the Stones, I should get rid of the OT. However, I was just about to offer 5 bucks to anyone who actually read the article, but then I saw that Natlanta actually took a look at it. smileys with beer

bet you five bucks you wouldn't have paid up anyway

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 01:09

StonesTod
Title5Take1

that comment kinda hits me sideways. i guess he ain't much for drinkin' any fukking merlot, then....
Ha, that movie line was only reflecting reality. But reality's apparently been changing. Merlot has been making its comebackin the last few years Check out the linked WSJ article (it's actually pretty interesting) >>> [online.wsj.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 01:12 by Title5Take1.

Date: August 6, 2012 01:14

Title5Take1
StonesTod
Title5Take1

Ha, that movie line was only reflecting reality. But reality's apparently been changing. Merlot has been making its comebackin the last few years Check out the linked WSJ article (it's actually pretty interesting) >>> [online.wsj.com]

there are a coupla interesting factoids about that movie i learned a few years ago while hitting the wineries featured in the film. i'll share them here if there's rabid interest....

Date: August 6, 2012 01:18

StonesTod
latebloomer

bet you five bucks you wouldn't have paid up anyway

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"

[wqlz.com]

Date: August 6, 2012 01:26

StonesTod
Title5Take1
StonesTod
Title5Take1

there are a coupla interesting factoids about that movie i learned a few years ago while hitting the wineries featured in the film. i'll share them here if there's rabid interest....

interest, yes.

Alexander Payne. directed The Descendants too

Date: August 6, 2012 01:33

duke richardson
StonesTod
Title5Take1
StonesTod
Title5Take1

interest, yes.

but, rabid? my time here is much too precious to waste recounting these tales for only tepid interest.

Date: August 6, 2012 02:01

they better be some good factoids

Date: August 6, 2012 02:20

they aren't. but watch this space tomorrow...or something.

Date: August 6, 2012 03:47

the suspense...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 6, 2012 06:25

John Entwistle of The Who was a big wine person as well. Pete Townshend has a story of how Entwistle would purchase these aged, vintage bottles of wine and they would be half sludge, but he would still drink it because it was expensive as hell and because he bought it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 6, 2012 07:54

I like drinking Fukking Merlot. Its good. Nice and mellow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2012 09:13

Natlanta

beautiful suggestion, especially for the reds, especially when the weather is hot.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 6, 2012 13:15

Red wine should be kept at cellar temperature. Anything colder ruins it, unless it's a table wine of course. Because of this I drink beer in summer months. On the subject of very expensive bottles I've recently learned a lot of the bottles are not fit for drinking. People collect these for financial gain. It's a rich persons game. All things considered a good bottle of wine is a special experience.
By the way those interested in Keefs favorite wine maybe able to afford the more reasonably priced Petit Lafite Mouton-Rothschild. I haven't tried it but I understand it's pretty close to the expensive (wino) bottle.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 15:20

I usually put a bootle of red in the fridge an hour before serving, i read that this is the proper way and does taste nicer, drink a lot more white than red.

recently had to drain a bottle of krug down the drain due to being kept too long and this has learnt me a lesson of not keeping wine too long, well thats my exscuse anyway.smileys with beer

Date: August 6, 2012 16:10

OK Stones Tod

you claimed factoids...

the Stones are gathering..

can't stand it...

Date: August 6, 2012 17:03

ok ok.

i don't remember if it was payne or his screen-writing partner, taylor...but one of them was going thru a bad breakup at the time and the ex- was a bigtime merlot lover...so it was decided to include in the storyline miles' hatred for merlot and love of pinot. within a year or so of the movie's release, of course, life began to immitate art as merlot sales dropped off signficantly while pinot's sales soared.

the other factoid, which is information publicly available (but I didn't know until someone at one of the wineries told me)....but that lafite-rothschild bottle that miles was saving for a special occasion? 1/3 merlot....now whether or not the screenwriters knew this (probably) and decided to have a little gag with the audience is open for debate....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 17:06 by StonesTod.

Date: August 6, 2012 17:44

StonesTod
ok ok.

i don't remember if it was payne or his screen-writing partner, taylor...but one of them was going thru a bad breakup at the time and the ex- was a bigtime merlot lover...so it was decided to include in the storyline miles' hatred for merlot and love of pinot. within a year or so of the movie's release, of course, life began to immitate art as merlot sales dropped off signficantly while pinot's sales soared.

the other factoid, which is information publicly available (but I didn't know until someone at one of the wineries told me)....but that lafite-rothschild bottle that miles was saving for a special occasion? 1/3 merlot....now whether or not the screenwriters knew this (probably) and decided to have a little gag with the audience is open for debate....

grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home