Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RIP Dick Clark
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 18, 2012 22:45

Re: RIP Dick Clark
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 18, 2012 22:48

Bandstand was a legendary show. Thank God they save most of the episodes cos they're still available in great quality. RIP Dick. You brought rock'n'roll to millions.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 18, 2012 22:56

just heard - RIP Mr. Clark.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:02

sad smiley

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:03

RIP

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:04

America's Oldest Teenager

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:12

A very influential figure and should be remembered always to the music world .

Godspeed Dick !

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:13

Thanks for creating and presenting all those great memories DC...you are an iconic figure in music and entertainment, RIP.

Date: April 18, 2012 23:16

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:23

Does this mean we stop celebrating New Year's Eve?

Date: April 18, 2012 23:24

Munichhilton
Does this mean we stop celebrating New Year's Eve?

The world is going to end Dec. 21, 2012...I think we're good

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:26

That's a Mayan rumor. They didn't even predict their own 'end' successfully...

Date: April 18, 2012 23:26

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:27

A bit more news from Rolling Stone Magazine

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:40

.RIP
Dick
Clark

"and somehow, even after he passed away,
Dick Clark looked better than most of us still living"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-18 23:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 18, 2012 23:52

RIP Dick

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 19, 2012 01:20

Maybe someone can post Lester Bangs's piece, "Screwing The System With Dick Clark." Dick actually comes off quite well. He expected Lester would trash him and he didn't care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-19 01:46 by tatters.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 19, 2012 01:40

Date: April 19, 2012 01:44

Munichhilton
That's a Mayan rumor. They didn't even predict their own 'end' successfully...

I thought Rumor was one of Bruce Willis' kids.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 19, 2012 01:56

Sad news. band stand was a great show and even though he was painful to look at the last few years I will forever miss him on New Year's Eve. He was always on as far back as I can remember even as a kid at my parents house I remeber New Year's Rockin Eve. When people like this leave us its kind of losing a part of you and makes me realize I am getting older.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 19, 2012 02:01

My best memroies lie within the 25,000 and 100,000 Pyramid Shows. The best game shows in the history of U.S. TV. Those programs brought the family together and were damn fun!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 19, 2012 02:38

Was Jackson Browne's "Late For The Sky" ever really played on American Bandstand? Doesn't seem like such a great dance track.

Re: Dick Clark
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 19, 2012 08:03

love and light to him, and thanks and praises for the worthy differences he made

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:11

Circa 1987 I was working as a temp at KCET, the PBS station in Los Angeles. The guy I worked for gave me a tour of the place. At the time Dick Clark's American Bandstand was losing steam and had been released from ABC. Dick then syndicated the show and was using KCET's production facilities. They shared space with other productions and men were taking apart Bandstand's setup. My guide pointed out tape with writing on it on the bottom of the bleacher risers. BEAVER WALK was written on the tape. My guide explained that the cameramen had affectionately named it that and entertained themselves with 'beaver' shots from the girls. Ah, a bunch of old perv cameramen. Show Business.

Obviously Dick has a video treasure trove of pop acts from the mid-50s onward. Scanning the acts that appeared on his how you see Eddie Cochran, Holly, Gene Vincent, Ritchie Valens, Bobby Darin, Johnnie Ray, Little Richard, Slim Harpo (!), Bill Haley & the Comets, The Flamingos, Bobby Day, Johnny Burnette, Chuck Berry, Lavern Baker, and other 50s icons. However, very little of this vintage video surfaces, so it's hard to tell, but it would be wonderful to know and see what rare treasures are in the Clark vault that he never used. Even if a lot of these performances were sloppy lip synchs, their historical importance is immeasurable. And you can always synch up the studio recordings and have something special.

No Beatles (not live), no Stones, no Elvis. But he appears to have had most of the major acts, including what had to be a surreal Bowie appearance, and of course Johnny Rotten comically not even bothering to mouth the words during Public Image Limited appearance.

That Link Wray video posted by Edith Grove, appears to be live. Which makes you wonder if there are more treasures. Let's hope more treasures surface in the coming years.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 19, 2012 22:26

RIP Dick Clark

My father actually got to meet him at the beginning of DC's career. Dad can't remember if DC had actually gone national with the bandstand broadcasts or if they were still just local for the Philadelphia, PA market. Either way, DC was still working local dances as a disc jocky which my dad (a high school student at the time) was doing as well. Dad said that DC, although at least a local celebrity, was very nice and encouraging to him even though my dad was just a local high school student. I always found it fun to watch DC knowing that he had been kind to my dad "back in the day".

All the best for DCs family in their time of loss...

Peace
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2012 00:26

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 20, 2012 01:18

I'm sorry he's dead, and he was harmless, but also shallow as a raindrop.

Here's what George Harrison said about him:

CREEM: I was watching that movie about the birth of the Beatles, that Dick Clark movie...

GEORGE HARRISON: Dick Clark? Not him again. I’ll tell you, I don’t know what Americans think of him, but from the Beatles’ point of view, Dick Clark—I don’t know what he ever did with his own talent. Y’know, all he does is send you letters: "Can I have a clip of you doing this? Can I have a clip of you doing that? I’m making another movie about you and the history of this and that, and you’re in it and I’ll give you two dollars if you’ll let me have it in." You get to the point of saying, "Fu ck off, Dick, think of your own ideas, you’re not getting any more of our shit. Just make your own films and rip off other people." Y’know, he’s a twat.

Full interview >>> [beatlesnumber9.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 20, 2012 03:13

New Years Eve won't be the same. RIP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-20 03:14 by ryanpow.

Date: April 21, 2012 15:07

Alice Cooper On Dick Clark

Posted on April 18, 2012 by gearsofrock
Alice Cooper remembers the iconic American Bandstand host Dick Clark in a statement on AliceCooper.com:

“I used to come home from elementary school to watch American Bandstand. It had all the new songs, all the new dances, and it had the happiest guy in the world presenting them to you. I had no idea that later in my career I would know Dick Clark on a professional level. I ran into him some years ago, and he said to me “Hey Coop, if you had your own radio show, what would it be like?” I told him it would be more like the free form FM stations of the 60’s, where the DJ’s actually played what they liked and demographics didn’t play a role. He said ‘Alice, why don’t you do it then?’. Just like that, my radio show Nights With Alice Cooper was born. It’s been 9 years later and I’m still on the air! And let me just add that NOBODY loved rock n roll more than Dick Clark!”

[www.gearsofrock.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 21, 2012 19:50

I thought this column by Robert Lloyd in the LA Times described Clark very well:

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Dick Clark: Chaperone to generations of music-loving teens
April 18, 2012 | 4:01 pm

It seems inconceivable that Dick Clark -- eternally youthful, frightfully busy Dick Clark -- has died. It's as if, through some cosmic foul-up, Death did not get the memo excusing him from such a mortal distraction.

And yet, he has, Wednesday in Los Angeles, of a heart attack at the age of 82. New years will still come and go, but we have come to the end of “Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve” -- a holiday he managed to brand in pop consciousness as his own -- or, at any rate, one which he is available to host. America, you will have to make other plans.

More than the bare recitation of his on-screen and behind-the-screen credits would suggest -- he was a television personality, the host of a dance party, of game shows (most notably of the “Pyramid” franchise, over some 15 years) and of a series called “TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes” -- he was a force not only in the history of the medium, but of the culture at large.
PHOTOS: Stars react to the death of Dick Clark
In the years before MTV, Clark's was the name most associated with rock 'n' roll music on television, although there was nothing much rock 'n' roll about the man himself. Born in 1929, he was a teenager not in the era of Elvis but in the twilight of the big bands, and as the host of “American Bandstand” for more than 30 years -- a show he did not create but came to own, in the vernacular and the literal sense of the word -- he played the role of chaperone to generations of teenagers at a kind of national hop.

Indeed, what made him compelling was the way the dual strands of his nature and his businesses combined in the person you saw on screen, entertainer and executive, agent of fun and serious businessman. He was an adult involved in childish things.

Often called “America's Oldest Teenager,” he retained his thick-maned, white-smiled, boyish looks into an age that visibly crumpled his peers into senior citizenry. And yet, even in the days when pop music was his daily bread -- even in the earliest days, when he looked not much different from the kids that crowded around him on the “Bandstand” set -- he never came across as a kid.

Rather, Clark was a voice of friendly authority. (An authority, one also felt, that could turn stern in a minute -- that was the mogul you could glimpse through the mouthpiece.) That voice, bruised but not broken by a stroke in 2004, was a trained instrument whose sound caught his doubleness: perfectly warm, perfectly cool.

There was always a poise about him, a pressed quality that a cyclone could not ruffle. You felt that he wouldn't break a sweat on a summer's day in the Sahara. But he rarely seemed stiff.

As a sideline, he occasionally appeared in dramatic roles in episodic television series, including “Lassie,” “Adam-12” and “Perry Mason,” in which he played a killer. He played one again in a film he co-wrote, “Killers Three,” from 1968. I don't want to read too much into that, but I find it not uninteresting.

You can't rate a life as you could a record, but one would say, after all, that this one had a good beat.

Also, a few letter writers in the Times today credit Clark's role as a pioneer in presenting Motown acts on television, and featuring both black and white kids dancing in the Bandstand studio. (Initially not as couples, but still a HUGE deal at the time for them to be shown in the same room)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-21 21:46 by loog droog.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home