Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar sound on Some Girls LP ?
Posted by: Damon ()
Date: November 3, 2010 22:35

does anyone know how Keith got the sound on the Some Girls LP ? I know he used Fender Guitar but what was that phase shifter thingy ? I am reading the book now haven't got to that part if he does mention it. so far he doesn't talk too much about guitar...some but not like I wish he would be.

Re: Guitar sound on Some Girls LP ?
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: November 3, 2010 22:39

MXR Phase 100, I believe. Could be wrong about the model number.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 3, 2010 22:40

It had alot to do with Jagger's sloppier, punkier guitar work. Jagger is like Elvis when he plays guitar. Elvis was all over the place - he played while he was singing and playing with pure energy and emotion - and would go off on tangents, leaving everyone else to catch up. Ronnie is sloppy too and add Jagger to the mix, you get craziness. That's why is sounds so raucous. But that's what also gave it its balls: Jagger's "huge balls".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-03 22:42 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 3, 2010 22:47

The sound of Some Girls is that of Fender's through Boogie MK 1 amps recorded by Chris Kimsey, That's basically all. Keith attributes the MXR Analogue Delay as being key to his sound for Some Girls, but he is mistaken as the delay didn't turn up until Emotional Resque (She's So Cold, Where the Boys Go, Hang Fire). He must mean the script logo MXR Phase 100, heard on Imagination and Shattered.

Mathijs

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 3, 2010 22:55

The same pedal Page was playing around with at the time.

Date: November 3, 2010 22:59

Somebody is playing with a lot of short delay on the guitar on several songs.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 3, 2010 23:47

It's funny that Keith claims in his new book that he never used pedals except for "Satisfaction". Must have forgotten all about Some Girls.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 3, 2010 23:49

Mathijs
The sound of Some Girls is that of Fender's through Boogie MK 1 amps recorded by Chris Kimsey, That's basically all. Keith attributes the MXR Analogue Delay as being key to his sound for Some Girls, but he is mistaken as the delay didn't turn up until Emotional Resque (She's So Cold, Where the Boys Go, Hang Fire). He must mean the script logo MXR Phase 100, heard on Imagination and Shattered.

Mathijs

Also Jagger's thrashy Strat rhythm and Ronnie's b-bender should be mentioned. One of my favorite Stones albums for guitar.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 4, 2010 04:15

Mathijs

Mathijs

I thought you once said that on here that on 'Beast of Burden' Keith played a Les Paul using the MXR phase at a low setting. Or am I imagining that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-04 04:15 by theimposter.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 4, 2010 08:36

theimposter
Mathijs

Mathijs

I thought you once said that on here that on 'Beast of Burden' Keith played a Les Paul using the MXR phase at a low setting. Or am I imagining that?

Keith did use the MXR phase on Beast of Burden for the '78 tour.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 4, 2010 08:43

71Tele
It's funny that Keith claims in his new book that he never used pedals except for "Satisfaction". Must have forgotten all about Some Girls.

And he has used a wha-wha on a couple of occasions, Fingerprint File and Fool To Cry. Plus he's ran the guitar through a Leslie on a few tunes, too (though that really isn't a pedal). I noticed that in the book, too, but I'll give him a pass on that one.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: November 4, 2010 10:16

71Tele

just another example of KRs BS. Then again everybody's entitled to build their own image, no matter how false. You either buy it or you don't. I'm not sure about Angus Young, but it's only him and Johnny Thunders I can think of right now who I think always played without fx. What record producers and engineers do with their sound is another matter.

Date: November 4, 2010 10:43

Mathijs

Mathijs

And on the title track, if I'm not mistaken.

Date: November 4, 2010 11:16

theimposter
Mathijs

Mathijs

Of course there's a lot more to it if you look in detail, but the basic sound is the Tele Custom for Keith, Strat for Jagger and Wood (although Keith also seems to have found a new love for the strat in this period) and Zemaitis for Wood through the Boogie MK 1 with reverb and EQ and the Altec Lansing speaker, the latter being a very important ingredient. The Boogie gives a modern, compressed overdrive, but the alnico speaker keeps the sound in the vintage spectrum.

BoB is most likely the Gibson LP Special in the middle position, although I don't hear a phase on that one.

They probably used two dozen guitars on this album, so it is hard to say what they used exactly. Imagination, Whip, Lies, Respectable, BTMMR are clear Telecaster tracks for Keith, but there are so many overdubs on each track that it is impossible to say. But the Boogie's are the mainstay sound.

To me, the sound on Some Girls is best described as clear and 'cracking'. There a crisp crackle and snap to it. The guitars and drums are all very clear, trebly and with a lot a crackle to it. The bass is fat and upfront, without being overly warm. The drums sound loud, with lots of crackle and sizzle, especially to the snare, which to this day is the best snare sound Charlie ever got, especially on BoB. It has a loud snap, and there's just a hint of phase on the back-end. This is all due to Chris Kimsey, this really is his record.

Mathijs

Date: November 4, 2010 11:17

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

And on the title track, if I'm not mistaken.

Very loud indeed. But that's Jagger.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2115
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home