Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Hand Of Fate
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:14

DandelionPowderman
<Beginning of the end of good Stones rock>

Really? What is SG then, a pop album? ER? TY?

Yep. Some Girls was a good record but the punk/disco vibe and new guitar sounds signaled a death knell for the pure rock Stones that I fell in love with. Don't even get me started on ER and TY. What's clear is that the Stones changed. I'll take the big 4 records over SG, TY and ER anyday. It's all a matter of taste of course but I'm sure there are plenty of fans who understand what I'm talking about.

Date: August 27, 2015 21:18

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Yep. Some Girls was a good record but the punk/disco vibe and new guitar sounds signaled a death knell for the pure rock Stones that I fell in love with. Don't even get me started on ER and TY. What's clear is that the Stones changed. I'll take the big 4 records over SG, TY and ER anyday. It's all a matter of taste of course but I'm sure there are plenty of fans who understand what I'm talking about.

That's your opinion, and that's ok. But to say "surely it was the beginning of the end" is a stretch - imo.

Date: August 27, 2015 21:23

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

That's your opinion, and that's ok. But to say "surely it was the beginning of the end" is a stretch - imo.

Let's just say that it was the beginning of the end for "old fashioned" Stones music to quote Mick. winking smiley I think Keith's rhythm on HOF is timeless rock stuff, never get tired of it. Bands like The Black Crowes showed that millions of other rock fans hadn't gotten their fill either.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:26

Hand Of Fate has everything a Stones-fan could wish for. One of their best post-exile songs.

Date: August 27, 2015 21:51

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Let's just say that it was the beginning of the end for "old fashioned" Stones music to quote Mick. winking smiley I think Keith's rhythm on HOF is timeless rock stuff, never get tired of it. Bands like The Black Crowes showed that millions of other rock fans hadn't gotten their fill either.

The old fashioned Stones music had a revival with Some Girls, to paraphrase Mick smoking smiley

Date: August 27, 2015 22:00

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

The old fashioned Stones music had a revival with Some Girls, to paraphrase Mick smoking smiley

You must be paraphrasing a misquote my friend. There was nothing about Some Girls that resembled the old fashiioned Stones music (as Mick referred to it in 1976) except possibly record sales. winking smiley In fact Some Girls was about as "new fashioned" as the stones ever got, drawing from the music in the air at the time. Perhaps the only thing old fashioned about it was the way Mick and Keith worked together on the songs, like the old days.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:02

Yes it was. The good old Stones played three chords r&b in the 60s, in case you forgot. SG was loaded with songs like that. No misquote, btw smileys with beer

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 22:07

I have to agree with naturalist. GHS, IORR and B&B introduced stones by numbers, And that's when it all really started to go south. Sure there was some girls - a brilliant rock and roll album - but in the context of what came in the 80s and 90s it was an aberration unfortunately.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:18

DandelionPowderman
Yes it was. The good old Stones played three chords r&b in the 60s, in case you forgot. SG was loaded with songs like that. No misquote, btw smileys with beer

Perhaps you are quoting Mick talking about a revival with SG, but certainly not a revival of old fashioned Stones music? It's so obvious SG was a departure with it's punk, new wave and disco stylings, no? Maybe if you produced the quote you are paraphrasing I could understand what context it was made in.....I get the feeling you are just messing with me, which I don't mind of course.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:29

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Perhaps you are quoting Mick talking about a revival with SG, but certainly not a revival of old fashioned Stones music? It's so obvious SG was a departure with it's punk, new wave and disco stylings, no? Maybe if you produced the quote you are paraphrasing I could understand what context it was made in.....I get the feeling you are just messing with me, which I don't mind of course.

Punk is not that different from old style stones music. Listen to the stones doing I wanna be your man and compare to say the clash's first album. Different production values mostly.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:38

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I think you are taking the "punk" in SG too seriously. It was good ol' Stones rock a la Brian era, only with an angrier front man.

IWBYM is a good comparison indeed.

So, no, it was not obvious that SG was a departure. Instead, one might say that songs on GHS and IORR represented a departure from good old Stones rock.

I'm not messing with you. Mick said that the SG were revisiting the Brian era rock - or something similar.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:16

The Stones invented punk. Listen to "She Said Yeah".

Date: August 27, 2015 23:19

HMS

yes! and not just musically, but by showing that musicians with very limited traditional/technical skills (all of them really, save Mick Taylor, and I say that as a huge fan of all of them) could become very successful.

what is more punk than bill wyman explaining "brown sugar" in muscle shoals by saying keith "writes" songs by remembering where his hands were on the fret board?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 23:20 by Turner68.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:25

Never really understood the 'punk' connection to Some Girls as nothing there sounds truly 'punk' to me, nor do I hear anything 'new wave' about it.
I do hear the disco influence with Miss You, but otherwise it's good old Stones - R&R (Whip, Lies, Respectable, Shattered, BTMMR),
a bit of motown (Imagination), perhaps a bit of blusi-ness (Some Girls), a mid-tempo 'ballad' (Beast),and a bit of country (Faraway Eyes).

As for Hand of Fate, one of my all time favorites without a doubt.
The moment the drums and guitar riff kicks in, it's an amazing journey.
Great vocals and lead guitar also...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 23:28 by Hairball.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:31

yeah i can easily see the 63 or 64 stones doing versions of "when the whip comes down," 'lies" or "respectable". on the "some girls" album for rockers like these the sound is just updated a bit to sound more in tune with the times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 23:32 by Turner68.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:31

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I think you are taking the "punk" in SG too seriously. It was good ol' Stones rock a la Brian era, only with an angrier front man.

So, no, it was not obvious that SG was a departure. Instead, one might say that songs on GHS and IORR represented a departure from good old Stones rock.

I'm not messing with you. Mick said that the SG were revisiting the Brian era rock - or something similar.

Well we will just have to disagree on this one. IORR and GHS were still firmly rooted in the rock vibe I'm referring to and SG resembles Brian era rock like a giraffe resembles an alligator. I am surprised you can't hear the obvious difference in both sound, style and songwriting that is so clear to me on Some Girls.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:40

I agree with Mick and Keith here. The melancholic rock of SF, GHS and IORR was different than that of the 60s Stones.

Respectable and She Said Yeah have more in common than Sway and She Said Yeah.

Those two songs (R and S) are pretty representative for the musical directions we're talking about here, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 23:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:46

HMS

Sexual, R&B rave up, not punk.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:48

His Majesty
HMS

Sexual, R&B rave up, not punk.

I'd say r&b with a punk attitude.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:48

HMS
Hand Of Fate has everything a Stones-fan could wish for. One of their best post-exile songs.

Hardly, it's missing so much that made them great.

HOF is more akin to stuff other bands put out trying to sound like the stones.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:53

His Majesty
HMS

He he, in a way that's spot on smiling smiley

That said, other bands rarely succeed in making it as good, though.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:53

"She Said Yeah" is arguably *more* punk than this (excellent) track from the clash's first album. Possibly the subject matter of the lyrics is the only thing more punk about the clash.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:54

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
HMS

He he, in a way that's spot on smiling smiley

That said, other bands rarely succeed in making it as good, though.

yes - that's what i've been saying! - top notch "stones by numbers".

Date: August 27, 2015 23:55

DandelionPowderman

Nah, there's no punk attitude there.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:59

Turner68
"She Said Yeah" is arguably *more* punk...

Something that is not punk cannot be more punk.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 28, 2015 00:00

Been busy just noticed this thread
Yes hand of fate is my favourite track from Black And Blue with the exception of Memory Motel Oh and the other decent track Crazy Mama
This was when Mick could really sing, Fantastic, and how i wish it were Keith playing this solo
Good job Wayne Perkins.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 00:19 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 28, 2015 00:02

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Nah, there's no punk attitude there.

The song is a riot, a sonical war, fast, heavy and uproar-ish. The roughness and aggressiveness gives me a feeling reminiscent of what we today know as punk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 00:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 28, 2015 00:11

His Majesty
Turner68
"She Said Yeah" is arguably *more* punk...

Something that is not punk cannot be more punk.

now you're just being difficult :-) . but you reminded me of this classic argument:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 00:11 by Turner68.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 28, 2015 00:12

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Well we will just have to disagree on this one. IORR and GHS were still firmly rooted in the rock vibe I'm referring to and SG resembles Brian era rock like a giraffe resembles an alligator. I am surprised you can't hear the obvious difference in both sound, style and songwriting that is so clear to me on Some Girls.

Even though I don't care much for GHS, IORR, or B&B, I prefer them to any of the later records, including SG. For me, it's about the SOUND of the band, the way they recorded themselves. This is going to sound terribly simplistic but I've always thought there was too much "air" or "space" in the music after B&B. "She's So Cold" is the archetypal example of this. Whereas before there was a claustrophobic quality (at least for me) of the best Stones music, a flattening, if you will, in which a beautiful cacophony was produced, now there seemed to be a lot of "room" between instruments and it just seemed less dense and interesting to me. Don't know if that will ring true for any of you or not ...

Date: August 28, 2015 00:21

DandelionPowderman

The song is a riot, a sonical war, fast, heavy and uproar-ish. The roughness and aggressiveness gives me a feeling reminiscent of what we today know as punk.

You have either misunderstood the stones or punk.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1941
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home