Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The best MISS YOU take
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 9, 2012 17:24

is the take numbered 2 on Girls Pills and Powders
Listen to the guitars. Fantastic 11:41 minutes trip. That's what should have been released on cd 2.
Play it loud.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Re: The best MISS YOU take
Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: March 9, 2012 17:29

This is only an unfinished work in progress version. I like the lp- and the 12" version.

Greetings Raluca

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 9, 2012 17:39

not so unfinished. Everything is here but the harp. It is the perfect rocking version thanks to the guitars although the rhythmic is upfront.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2012 19:13

smiling smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 9, 2012 19:19

THe unfinished demos are great because they're a work in progress. You hear the foundation of this song: Mick's spontaneous, unrehearsed vocals, and as toomuchforme said, those guitars.
At 2:21, I always loved that lick....and at and at 1:15! I also love how the song just keeps that groove for so long. Its hypnotic.
This is gritty, funky Stones at their best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-09 19:23 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 9, 2012 19:35

You're right about the guitars. One of the best eras for Stones guitars, imo, and Mick playing added an extra level of urgency to the proceedings.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 9, 2012 19:44

I love this looong jamming songs with Rolling Stones.
That's what Stones are all about.

Date: March 9, 2012 19:44

When Mick is screaming right where the break starts at 3:14 is the bleed through you can hear on the released version.

Date: March 9, 2012 19:50

71Tele
You're right about the guitars. One of the best eras for Stones guitars, imo, and Mick playing added an extra level of urgency to the proceedings.

Yes!
Mick played like Elvis: it wasn't about technique, but passion, urgency and energy - and the band had no choice but to follow where he was going. Like a runaway train, it always sounded like it might fall apart at any minute, but it keeps moving.
That's the special ingredient to the the 77-81 Stones IMO.

Date: March 9, 2012 20:12

stupidguy2
THe unfinished demos are great because they're a work in progress.

It's not a demo.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 9, 2012 20:28

One of my least favorite Stones songs, but I like this version you refer too. I like any version over the LP version. The 12inch is nice too.

Woodstock rehearsals had a nice one as I remember.

Date: March 9, 2012 21:22

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stupidguy2

It's not a demo.

You know what I mean. Anything that has the basic track without the 'finished' polish....
That's a demo to me.

Date: March 9, 2012 21:23

stupidguy2
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stupidguy2

It's not a demo.

What a nitpicker, you know what I mean. Anything that has the basic track without the 'finished' polish....
That's a demo to me.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 10, 2012 04:13

This is a Miss You jam. I guess Mick had eneough jam for this one. lol

He still hadn't got the Woo-oo-oo Oh-oh thing going yet. Very interesting, a study in guitars and bass. (Woops! Just at the very end of the song does Mickey find the Woo-oo groove. Obviously he liked that and we all know what happened.)

I still love the dance music influence too. Imagine playing something like this to them in 1967. They would have freaked!

Yummy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-10 04:15 by MileHigh.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 10, 2012 04:13

Download complete! lol

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 07:03

I've played this version a lot since I discovered it a few years ago. Mick is amusingly drunk, and the "original" Puerto Rican girls are hilariously different than imagined around the 3:20 mark: MICK: "Remember that club we used to go to? What was it called? Umm, Galaxy or something? We used to mess around with these, uh, Puerto Rican girls, and they always turned out to be men in the end."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-10 07:10 by Title5Take1.

Date: March 10, 2012 21:22

stupidguy2
stupidguy2
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stupidguy2

It's not a demo.

What a nitpicker, you know what I mean. Anything that has the basic track without the 'finished' polish....
That's a demo to me.

NO. I did not know what you meant. When people say 'demo' what THAT means is a working version of the song, a putting the song together recording, not one or any of the takes from/of the recording for the album. That would be a take. This is more of a rough mix, a playback mix, regardless of the harmonica being recorded. It may have and they just wanted to hear the guitars. Doesn't matter - it's the take they used, the master, the master take, for the LP/single version.

Nitpicker? What, do you call snorkeling scuba diving? Would someone know what you meant if you said it that way while describing snorkeling but saying scuba diving? Oh well they know what I mean. No. There's a distinction, hence the use of words - and don't assume people "know what you mean".

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 21:56

The one from Texas 78 is great. I love how the guitars make it almost a bluesy sounding song...

But the version that really hooked me early on, is actually the official music video to the song. Mick is almost creepy in it, but it has such Stonesy character... just great. That is my favorite Stones video of all time and the best version of Miss You, even if it is not the best musically.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 11, 2012 03:43

Is Jagger on guitar here? I don't hear him, unless he's mixed out.

Date: March 11, 2012 05:33

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stupidguy2
stupidguy2
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stupidguy2

It's not a demo.

That's a demo to me.

NO. I did not know what you meant. When people say 'demo' what THAT means is a working version of the song, a putting the song together recording, not one or any of the takes from/of the recording for the album. That would be a take. This is more of a rough mix, a playback mix, regardless of the harmonica being recorded. It may have and they just wanted to hear the guitars. Doesn't matter - it's the take they used, the master, the master take, for the LP/single version.

Nitpicker? What, do you call snorkeling scuba diving? Would someone know what you meant if you said it that way while describing snorkeling but saying scuba diving? Oh well they know what I mean. No. There's a distinction, hence the use of words - and don't assume people "know what you mean".

Damn Mr. Blues,
Are you the one with the red marker?
Rough Mix, Demo, Early Take......
Whatever.....the song is not finished, that's the point.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 11, 2012 07:25

Miss You was, is, and forever will be one of their finest moments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home