Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Had It With You
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 26, 2010 12:08

Mathijs
I actually think this is a 100% Ron Wood song.

Mathijs

You're right once again M. It started as a RW-sung tune titled "You Can’t Cut The Mustard". And it's available on boots. And it's AWFUL!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 26, 2010 12:23

cc
The Worst.
With "ugly sound" I'm talking about the entire production, not just the guitar sound. The Dirty Work album sounds like some '80s crap, for example "Back to Zero" sounds like an excerpt from the Macgyver series.

have you ever listened to to the track called "Had It With You"? It sounds nothing like "Back to Zero" despite being on the same album. Or Macgyver, despite being in the same decade.

Actually, for some weird reason, Dirty Work is among the albums I've been listening to the most, so yes I have listened to the track called "Had It With You". I understand what you guys feel about the song, but I feel this is just a pale shadow of the Stones at their best.

Of course I can agree "Had It With You" and "Back to Zero" are two diffrent songs, but I doesn't make it any of them any better, and the latter do sound like Macgyver indeed!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 27, 2010 02:14

A pale wisp of a song, a sketch, a draft really, but nothing more. While I absolutely worship the Mesa boogie sound (especially on ER), this song doesn't excite me. It is, however, a nice change of pace from the booming, overproduced, 80's production that is the bane of most of the DW album.

Drew

Posted by: René ()
Date: November 1, 2010 10:14

Thanks for the corrections With Sssoul!

René

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 15, 2013 11:01

See also:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 15, 2013 13:43

let's not forget harlem shuffle .which is killer .i can still remember olympic stadium in montreal dec. 1989 and hearing harlem shuffle live . what joy that gave me i tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 15, 2013 14:12

It's a silly song even on this thread...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 31, 2015 00:29

I was interested by this comparison made on the 'Track Talk: Brand New Car' discussion thread:

Zack
Strange the Stones would do a T.Rex knockoff, but the resemblance is obvious...

'Had It With You' resembles 'I Love to Boogie' far more than 'Brand New Car' resembles anything I have heard in the T. Rex catalogue.

Olly.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 31, 2015 00:38

Its ok but one of the lesser tracks on Dirty Work

Its hardly comparable to One Hit or Sleep Tonight

I like the fast pace it runs at but find the lyrics childish imho

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 31, 2015 00:46

Mathijs
I actually think this is a 100% Ron Wood song.

Mathijs.

No. It's a Jagger, Richards and Wood song. See the names between the brackets on the original album. That's what counts on the final bankrekening (translating anybody?). Do you think.......Aawuwhuu... yes you may be right.
Can't Cut The Mustard was Ronnies for sure. Same as Knock Your Teeth Out (One By One).

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 02:50

keefriffhards
Its ok but one of the lesser tracks on Dirty Work

Its hardly comparable to One Hit or Sleep Tonight

I like the fast pace it runs at but find the lyrics childish imho

you get childish lyrics on latter-day stones songs where mick doesn't feel like the song is "his", so he just comes up with some slop and sings it and calls it done.

case in point: one more shot, almost hear you sigh,

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 31, 2015 03:02

I always liked this song a lot. Just a fun little rocker.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 31, 2015 12:36

How can one be a Stones-fan and at the same time not liking this song, its a mystery to me. Had It With You is as "stonesy" as can be and would it be on EOMS, all of you would praise it as one of their best efforts. But it is on that "awful, outdatet, absolutely horrible" Dirty-Work-album, and therefore it MUST be crap, even if it isnt.

It´s an energized, adrenalin-squirting, juice-pumping little SOB of a Stones-song, pure, rough, edgy, hip-shaking, ass-kicking and pure enjoyment.

If you dont like this one, go ahead and put on Streets Of Love...smoking smiley

Had It With You is so damn good, i could listen to it for hours, just like the title track or Hold On To Your Hat or Rip This Joint. I love these fast, little mean old-fashioned rock n rollers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-31 13:01 by HMS.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 31, 2015 15:42

HMS

...Had It With You is so damn good, i could listen to it for hours, just like the title track or Hold On To Your Hat or Rip This Joint. I love these fast, little mean old-fashioned rock n rollers.

I agree to an extent. There is a leanness and an aggression about much of the Stones' output from the '80s.

As much as I enjoy Exile, I consider 'Rip This Joint' the weakest of the four tracks mentioned by HMS.

Olly.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 31, 2015 16:00

Without the slow break, it would be an extreemly uninspired Stones by numbers rocker.
With the slow break, it's just a terrible thing among a lot of other terrible things on Dirty Work.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 31, 2015 16:04

HMS
How can one be a Stones-fan and at the same time not liking this song...

ummm .... because it's not that good.

Date: August 31, 2015 16:07

LeonidP
HMS

He he, you're still discussing your favourite song in here winking smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 31, 2015 16:57

Real Stones ... The track reminds me of the Brian age with it's simple rhythm-focussed blues tracks like Doncha Bother Me ... Love it.

Date: August 31, 2015 18:23

matxil
uninspired Stones by numbers rocker.

By the time they released Exile, the Stones had found their unique and recognizable style. And we have grown accustomed to that style. So every fast rocker post-exile has to sound more or less familiar to our ears and seems "Stones by numbers". But it isn´t (most of the times). It´s simply their style and you can´t curse a band because of sticking to a successful style, which generated millions of fans.

Hand of Fate sounds familiar, but is still great. Had It With You sounds familiar too and is still great. Even Start Me Up sounded familiar back in 1981 but who dares to say it´s "Stones by numbers".

The Stones sometimes try to discover "new territories" but regularly they get beaten by their fans for being a little more adventurous. If they record a song like Might As Well Get Juiced, most fans think of it as crap and not sounding Stones-like, but if they record a song like Too Tight, it´s "Stones by numbers" again. So whatever they do, they always seem to be wrongsmiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 18:27

HMS
matxil

By the time they released Exile, the Stones had found their unique and recognizable style. And we have grown accustomed to that style. So every fast rocker post-exile has to sound more or less familiar to our ears and seems "Stones by numbers". But it isn´t (most of the times). It´s simply their style and you can´t curse a band because of sticking to a successful style, which generated millions of fans.

Hand of Fate sounds familiar, but is still great. Had It With You sounds familiar too and is still great. Even Start Me Up sounded familiar back in 1981 but who dares to say it´s "Stones by numbers".

The Stones sometimes try to discover "new territories" but regularly they get beaten by their fans for being a little more adventurous. If they record a song like Might As Well Get Juiced, most fans think of it as crap and not sounding Stones-like, but if they record a song like Too Tight, it´s "Stones by numbers" again. So whatever they do, they always seem to be wrongsmiling smiley

This is ridiculous. Explain the Beatles or Dylan or Elvis Presley or miles Davis .... All underwent numerous major shifts in style and sound. Why is it wrong to expect as much from the stones?

Date: August 31, 2015 18:43

Turner68
HMS
matxil

This is ridiculous. Explain the Beatles or Dylan or Elvis Presley or miles Davis .... All underwent numerous major shifts in style and sound. Why is it wrong to expect as much from the stones?

Do you really want to sound the Stones like Mick Jagger´s solo-albums? What can they do except stick to their roots or put on modern "sound make-up"?

Dylan, Presley, Davis - they often changed for worse...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 31, 2015 19:02

With a slightly different guitar sound I could almost here this tune on Some Girls.It's got that attitude anyway. Jagger's harp playing is interesting but the tune is a bit too cliche for my tastes. When the Stones resort to this fast 12 bar blues motif you know they are running out of ideas, imo. Not just Stones by numbers but rock and roll by numbers.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 19:37

crap song from a crap album.

Date: August 31, 2015 23:05

buttons67
crap song from a crap album.

The Stones have never released a crap album so far.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 23:09

Why do people call almost hear you sigh a scrappy song I don't get it!

Date: August 31, 2015 23:12

ohmercy61
Why do people call almost hear you sigh a scrappy song I don't get it!

It´s not that crappy, but oh so booooooring.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 23:29

One of the best songs from the 80's..... Dirty, rough... Very stones. I wish they could give it one chance live

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 1, 2015 00:07

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
HMS

Some songs just don't do it for me. Considering all the Stones songs I love compared to the ones I don't, they still are fairing pretty good!

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 01:51

Live would be fine with me

Date: September 1, 2015 01:52

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
HMS

Some songs just don't do it for me. Considering all the Stones songs I love compared to the ones I don't, they still are fairing pretty good!

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home