Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger and Mary Whitehouse on Frost - question
Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: September 4, 2010 18:04

Mick Jagger went on Frost on Sunday in October 1968 to defend his and Marianne's decision not to get married - even though she was pregnant.
The other guest on the show was the defender of morality; Mrs Mary Whitehouse.

Does anybody know whether that programme exists on video or, failing that, is there a transcript available?

I've heard bits of it quoted in many Stones/Mick biographies, so there's bound to be a source.

Be very grateful for your help.

Re: Jagger and Mary Whitehouse on Frost - question
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 4, 2010 18:24

Never seen a video recording of it, myself.

Date: September 5, 2010 00:18

Has anybody seen a full/partial transcript of the interview?

I know that Mick was talking about C of E accepting divorce and stuff. That's the quote that usually surfaces.

Anybody?

Jagger and Whitehouse crossing swords - that must have been worth seeing.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 5, 2010 02:49

There was a thread about this in 2006 in which posters say no one has seen this clip.

I will keep looking but not even finding anything anything close.

As a semi-semi-related video, here are the Stones on David Frost a year later. I'd never seen this.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: September 5, 2010 03:26

I'm pretty sure this was wiped. There is a clip from a BBC 60's night about 15 years ago with Whitehouse talking about the prog and how she found Mick very "charming" (yeeuucchh)

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 5, 2010 04:07

nice post swiss

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: September 5, 2010 04:33

Mary long is a hypocrite. Where's Lord Longford?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 5, 2010 05:45

deeppurple
Mary long is a hypocrite. Where's Lord Longford?

Same place where he's been since 2001. Pushing up the daisies.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: September 5, 2010 21:53

Mary Whitehouse also has left the building. Not sure of the year. That's what Google is for. (I should have mention that I was referring to the photo.) lol! Mary sitting with his Satanic Majesty!

Date: September 6, 2010 02:50

Hey, thanks for the replies - I've almost lost any hope. smiling smiley

It's possible that the programme has been wiped - which would be a terrible shame.

I'll keep looking for bits of transcript. I'll post it if I find anything.

Great video swiss - haven't seen it in ages. Thanks for reminding me.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 6, 2010 03:36

nkt44
Hey, thanks for the replies - I've almost lost any hope. smiling smiley

It's possible that the programme has been wiped - which would be a terrible shame.

I'll keep looking for bits of transcript. I'll post it if I find anything.

Great video swiss - haven't seen it in ages. Thanks for reminding me.

nkt44 and Cafaro - thanks, glad you liked.

I'm thinking, nkt44, there is probably some fairly straightforward source that would either directly collect, or would know about archives to the various iterations of David Frost's shows. That could be an archivist associated with David Frost himself, or an archive of the networks he was affiliated with, or an independent organization or museum.archives that collects archived TV shows or portions thereof. I don't have much time to research it right now, but here's a random example of what I mean. You could shoot a quick email to the contact here and see what he knows about archival Frost material from the '68 era. He doesn't have this clip here -- but he may know about this era -- or be able to point you in the right direction. Not as fun as researching it more randomly, but if you want an answer or solid clue to your next step for inquiry, you could do something like that!

This guy's website keep crashing my browser, so--to spare you from repeat rebooting--I'm pasting below what appears on this page, simply to give you a sense of the breadth of what this guy does have. In other words, it's all 1969 and forward.

here's his contact info followed by sample of what he collects:

Collector's Choice
Archival Television Audio, Inc.
P.O. Box 88
Albertson, New York 11507

Tel/Fax: 516-656-5677
Email Us: gries@atvaudio.com

Contacts: Phil Gries - Founder & Owner

David Frost archival material
#1076: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1969-09-22, WNEW 36 min.
Walter Cronkite, David Frost

David Frost interviews Walter Cronkite who discusses many topics including the unique Apollo XI moon landing which occured two months prior on July 20, 1969.
#799: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-02-17, WNEW 67 min.
Jackie Gleason, David Frost

A rare television interview with Jackie Gleason, who blends personal anecdotes with his views on man, woman, love, comedy, attaining success, the occult, Milton Berle and happiness. Taped in Miami Beach.
#800: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-02-23, WNEW 65 min.
Johnny Carson, David Frost

Johnny Carson, who rarely agrees to be interviewed on TV, is interviewed by David Frost who quizzes the "Tonight Show" host on a wide variety of subjects.
#6062: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-03-05, WNEW 90 min.
Johnnie Ray, David Frost, Stanley Holloway

July 7, 1969-July 14, 1972 (SYNDICATED). During the three-year run of his American talk show, David Frost taped the show (approximately 750 programs) each week, Monday through Thursdays. The series was syndicated by Westinghouse. Guests include Johnnie Ray and Stanley Holloway.
#801: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-03-17, WNEW 69 min.
Elizabeth Taylor, David Frost, Richard Burton

Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor are interviewed by David Frost.
#802: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-04-00, WNEW 18 min.
Jackie Mason, David Frost

David Frost's guest is Comedian Jackie Mason.
#1092: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-05-18, WNEW 72 min.
Jack Benny, Fred Allen, George Burns, David Frost

David Frost welcomes special solo guest Jack Benny, who talks at length about his long professional career and his personal life. There are many anecdotes including stories about George Burns, Fred Allen, his 44 year marriage, his violin career and why, after writing his autobiography for two years, he decided never to publish it.
#807: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-06-04, WNEW 65 min.
David Frost, Orson Welles

Orson Welles is interviewed by David Frost. He talks about many subjects including parents, television, his work, his romance with fortune telling, "War of The Worlds" and "Citizen Kane."
#808: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1970-06-10, WNEW 58 min.
Darryl F. Zanuck, David Frost, Orson Welles, Tiny Tim

Substitute guest host Orson Welles welcomes his guests Tiny Tim and Darryl F. Zanuck.
#5916: DAVID FROST SHOW, THE
1971-06-23, N/A 78 min.
Stephen Sondheim, Gene Nelson, John McMartin, James Goldman

July 7, 1969-July 14, 1972 (Syndicated). A ninety minute talk show hosted by David Frost. Approximately 750 shows were taped. Most shows broadcast in 1970 are mysteriously non-existent.

A salute to the Broadway musical "Follies." Guests also talk about their past careers.

good luck -
swiss

Pages: [1] 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home