Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Enmore Theatre 2003
Posted by: Enmore2003 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 12:28

Out of the many shows have attended (Inc earls court 75 and knebworth 76)this show stands out head and shoulders above all.

1500 capacity theatre, hot steamy summer night, opened with scorching midnight rambler, guest spot from angus and Malcolm from ac/dc, Marianne faithful and sam cutler grooving with us on first row of balcony, great set, great night. So hot they threw the doors open, thousands out on the street outside, police had to close the road".........

Anyone else there?

Re: Enmore Theatre 2003
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 6, 2011 12:39

Hey Enmore2003 !
Welcome on board !

Never been to Australia but I've heard that Jagger chose the Enmore Theatre for one of the Stones' 2003 Australian appearances as his mother, Eva had been born in Petersham and lived in Marrickville before the family emigrated to England.

Some reviews here :
[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: May 6, 2011 12:50

SwayStones
Hey Enmore2003 !
Welcome on board !

Never been to Australia but I've heard that Jagger chose the Enmore Theatre for one of the Stones' 2003 Australian appearances as his mother, Eva had been born in Petersham and lived in Marrickville before the family emigrated to England.

Some reviews here :
[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 6, 2011 12:52

Thks happy to be here. Never heard that but it makes sense, they are nearby. For someone who has never been here, you know your suburbs.....

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 6, 2011 12:57

Always like to read stories from people having a good time with the Stones. Welcome to IORR

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 6, 2011 13:32

Wonderful gig,I have some great memories!

Date: May 6, 2011 13:38

Enmore2003
For someone who has never been here, you know your suburbs.....

Yes, there was a time when I used to learn everything about Australia's geography ,hoping that Rockman would show me his wonderland room ...smoking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2011 13:48

Ahhhhhh .......I'm still trying to tidy the Bunker.....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 6, 2011 14:08

Rockman, you last long to tidy up ....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:17

.....eeeerrrr besides being an untidy brat .... I left the back window open during a dust-storm

ROCKMAN

Posted by: twenny revlights ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:25

was so fukkin easy to get tickets and get into the front row,
the aussies are such slackers. the midnight rambler opening
was so hot, in ten seconds they eclipsed the energy of opening
act and soon-to-peak jet. i expect MR to be used on the next
tour for an opening. and the surprise from angus and malcolm
blew everyone away. what a great welcome to oz for yours truly.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 16:01

BRIXTON 95 STILL STANDS OUT AS MY FAV!!!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 6, 2011 16:12

2003 theatre shows were amazing in general x)

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:00

It always makes me so jealous when I read people on here's account of their Stones theatre gigs. I've seen them in many places and some of their most epic gigs, but never been able to get to a theatre show. Please share the secrets of how you get the tickets!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:14

with the possible exception of parachute woman/orpheum, the version of rock me baby with the young 'uns at the enmore was THE singular highlight of the entire licks tour. spine-tingling stuff.

Date: May 7, 2011 16:36

crumbling_mice
It always makes me so jealous when I read people on here's account of their Stones theatre gigs. I've seen them in many places and some of their most epic gigs, but never been able to get to a theatre show. Please share the secrets of how you get the tickets!

So do I cool smiley
I would have liked somuch to see them playing in a theatre ....

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:53

crumbling_mice
Please share the secrets of how you get the tickets!

For my Enmore ticket I joined the RS.com fan club. That allowed early access to tickets. And if I remember correctly the on-sale date and time for the club shows was never announced - you had to wait it out and hope to get lucky. So I left and browser window open on my computer 24/7. Every time I walked by I would hit refresh and check. I did that for almost two weeks I think (I worked from home). At night, if I was around, I'd try and make sure I hit refresh on the hour. I think it was around midnight on the US east coast that the Enmore tickets came up. I was just lucky at hit it right at the perfect time. I got a seat right on the aisle 7 or 8 rows behind the general admission dance floor.

I remember too that you had to pick up your tickets a day or two in advance from the ticket office in Sydney across from Hyde Park. The day you had to do it I was sight seeing around town and planned to get my ticket later and miss the rush. I was on a city bus headed for Kings Cross that passed the ticket office. There were a ton of people lined up on the sidewalk and everyone on the bus went "Ooooooo" and wondered was all the fuss was about.

It was such a great show. "Midnight Rambler" to open, I finally got to see "Neighbors," then my favorite "Dead Flowers," and a string of cool covers, including "Going to a Go-Go" and "That's How Strong My Love Is." I remember seeing an interview later on Sydney TV with Jagger saying he had a sore throat/cold he'd picked up from his kids.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 7, 2011 20:17

Ahhhh, that's how we have to do it Sway! Fair play to you lamemoem2, you so deserved to get one with that sort of committment. I guessed that you may have to join the fan club - I have let mine lapse, so if their is any hint of a tour, I'll re-join! Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 8, 2011 07:02

lamemodem2
crumbling_mice
Please share the secrets of how you get the tickets!

For my Enmore ticket I joined the RS.com fan club. That allowed early access to tickets. And if I remember correctly the on-sale date and time for the club shows was never announced - you had to wait it out and hope to get lucky. So I left and browser window open on my computer 24/7. Every time I walked by I would hit refresh and check. I did that for almost two weeks I think (I worked from home). At night, if I was around, I'd try and make sure I hit refresh on the hour. I think it was around midnight on the US east coast that the Enmore tickets came up. I was just lucky at hit it right at the perfect time. I got a seat right on the aisle 7 or 8 rows behind the general admission dance floor.

I remember those days and nights when the theater shows were being released on RS.com. I was trying to get Olympia and the Enmore show came up and was available for HOURS! I could not believe it but I guess many people thought Australia was just too far to go. It was the only theater show that didn't sell out immediately. I was king of kicking myself for not going for it!

Date: May 8, 2011 09:24

>> the Enmore show came up and was available for HOURS!

true. i was watching the net for hours, then fell asleep, and woke up
hours later, over an hour after the sale had started, and still got
two tickets first time i tried.

then, on the day of the show, i didnt arrive at the site until about
a half hour before they opened the doors, and was still about number 25
in line, good enough to put me leaning on the stage just to keith's
right. all the other ticket holders were too busy getting drunk in
the local bars to worry about where they might wind up inside.

aussies are truly a breed apart. they don't give a shit about anything,
even being front row at a stones theatre show. god bless em.

Date: May 8, 2011 09:45

one more thing about theatre shows. having been up front at two,
enmore and 10spot (and incidentally, decently close at three others,
passaic, palladium, and newark symphony hall) plus having been in
row one center at an arena, philly no security, the thing that most
sticks in my mind is not how much you can see, which is of course great,
but rather how great and different it sounds to hear keith and ronnie
thru their own amps, rather than thru the PA. in other words, hearing
them the way they hear themselves. i don't know how to describe it
except to call it a "bar band" sound, unmixed and raw and
overpowering, very different from how it sounds recorded. i've never
heard anyone else talk about this difference, i wish someone would,
because for me it is such an unforgettable thing, that has spoiled
me badly for normal seating. not enough to pay big money for the front
row, but i understand why somebody might.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-08 10:20 by twenny revlights.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: May 8, 2011 12:39

Yep, I had the same experience - I simply joined the fan club, then bought the tickets. It was as easy as that. The great thing was getting the wristband a day or two before the gig - it was like a badge of honour. Everyone around town knew that you were one of the lucky one going to the show. I remember driving across the Sydney Harbour Bridge and paying the bridge toll - the toll collector said to me "Wow, you're seeing the Stones tonight". Left work at around 3pm, headed over to a mate's place in Newtown (the suburb next to Enmore) for a BBQ and a few beers, then walked to the Enmore Theatre at about 7pm to line up. Queued for about 20 minutes then strolled to the front of the stage right in front of Mick's little catwalk. After Jet's set, we had a long wait while they set up the stage for the Stones. I remember the security guys telling us not to grab Mick's legs when he used the catwalk. I also remember one roadie spending about half an hour positioning and then respositioning Keith's pack of Marlboros on Charlie's drum riser. The other funny memory I have is the roadies delicately positioning Charlie's high hat, then having some discussions about it, then constantly adjusting its position until they were eventually satisfied - and then the second Charlie walked on-stage he picked it up and moved it.

Date: May 8, 2011 12:57

>> I also remember one roadie spending about half an hour positioning and
>> then respositioning Keith's pack of Marlboros on Charlie's drum riser.

lol! now i remember that too. at the end, i begged for one of keith's
cigarette butts and got it, not that anyone would ever believe it was
his. its still in my safe. and you're right, it was a very long wait
before the stones came on, i was so glad that i was able to lean on
the stage and not have to support myself. and i had mercy and let a
few second row ladies lean on me while i leaned on the stage. well,
yeah, maybe that wasnt so much an act of charity...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home