Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Peter Doherty 'Wasted' Interview
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2010 19:41

Not everyone's favourite character,I know, but with the Libertines recently reforming for the Reading and Leeds Festival, I have been watching interviews with the group and Pete on youtube.

This one below is a few years old and was conducted at a time when his addiction to crack and heroin were at their very worst. It's a shocker and all rather sad, really. Still, it sheds light on why one should always say no!

Re: OT: Peter Doherty 'Wasted' Interview
Date: September 1, 2010 00:39

I hate it when people don't comment on my threads! All that effort for nowt! Grrr angry smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 1, 2010 00:43

lol
Yeah, know that feeling.

But I think the video is not that bad. I've seen other reactions . .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2010 01:11

Kate and Pete ......

ROCKMAN

Date: September 1, 2010 01:27

The Kate Moss relationship coincided with the time his addictions were reaching crisis point. I’m surprised the two of them survived as a couple for so long.

Recent interviews with Pete show that he’s clearly off the drugs. He’s engaging and coherent.

Date: September 1, 2010 01:30

The Rolling Stones’ Keith Richards believes Pete Doherty’s relationship with Kate Moss will eventually end in tragedy for the couple because they’re dangerous for each other.

Keith told the NME recently: “[Pete] should shut the f**k up and leave her alone. I don’t know the man. All I know is he’s pushing his luck and there it is. But so is Kate, who I know very well.”

“Kate wants to play with the bad boys and she’s done one, then another, then another. She’ll live, the boys will die.”

ROCKMAN

Date: September 1, 2010 01:35

Ronnie Wood has revealed he urged Kate Moss to dump Pete Doherty.

The Rolling Stones guitarist warned the supermodel the troubled rocker was not good for her and advised her to get rid of him.

He said: "Someone had to do it. Well, he wasn't exactly very good for her, was he? I was just encouraging her, saying 'Go on, girl. I'm glad you've got rid of him.' "

When Kate eventually split from the Babyshambles star she stayed at Ronnie's Surrey mansion to get over the break-up.

However, the 60-year-old musician's attempts to console Kate may have been in vain as last week it was reported she had rekindled her romance with Pete.

The 33-year-old catwalk beauty - who dumped Pete in June after he apparently cheated on her with South African model Lindi Hingston - is said to have spent five nights with Pete at exclusive London hotel Claridge's.

Sources claimed Kate, who has just returned from a holiday in Spain, had been miserable since the split and told Pete she wanted him back.

One said: "Kate has been like a moth to the flame. When she got back to Britain, they met up at the hotel. He cried and she cried. She said she had been avoiding him because she had promised everyone from her managers to her mother that she would. She told him, 'It's not me. It's just what they all made me do.' "

During one late-night heart-to heart, Kate is believed to have told Pete she was "miserable without him and desperately happy with him."

ROCKMAN

Date: September 1, 2010 01:38

Rockman
“Kate wants to play with the bad boys and she’s done one, then another, then another. She’ll live, the boys will die.”

Ah, typical Keith. Depp is still alive, isn’t he? Doherty is still alive, no? The former is doing quite well for himself I hear. In fact, he's gone on yto have a more successful career than Kate from Croydon.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 1, 2010 07:22

Ridiculous stuff from both Ronnie and Keith. Kate Moss is very close to my best friend, and she's a big girl who's always liked to party. On the other hand, that same friend of mine produced both The Libertines albums and the first Babyshambles, and has had to distance himself from Pete. Pete was a lovely and very talented, but self-destructive guy who has done himself a lot of harm. I doubt he's clean and sober now, but it was great to see The Libertines have a chance to get back together and play to such huge crowds. They're all very nice chaps, all surprisingly good musicians, and had the potential to be a great band.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 1, 2010 10:26

the Libertines were wonderful at The Reading Festival on saturday.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 1, 2010 10:27

TeddyB1018
Ridiculous stuff from both Ronnie and Keith. Kate Moss is very close to my best friend, and she's a big girl who's always liked to party. On the other hand, that same friend of mine produced both The Libertines albums and the first Babyshambles, and has had to distance himself from Pete. Pete was a lovely and very talented, but self-destructive guy who has done himself a lot of harm. I doubt he's clean and sober now, but it was great to see The Libertines have a chance to get back together and play to such huge crowds. They're all very nice chaps, all surprisingly good musicians, and had the potential to be a great band.

Might your friend be a certain Mick Jones?

Date: September 1, 2010 13:02

Teddy, Pete is 'clean and sober', seemingly. He's not quite his old self - as can be seen in early interviews circa 2002 - but he's a hell of a lot better now than he appears in the above clip.

Watching the Libertines performance at Reading and his recent solo spot at the Hop Farm Festival, it is quite clear that he's nearing full recovery.

About Mick Jones: he's a wonderful musician and songwriter, but I personally feel that Bernard Butler produced the Libertines better. The 'What A Waster' and 'Don't Look Back Into The Sun' singles are the best sounding Libertines recordings. Alas, the former Suede guitarist had a problem: Peter Doherty.

Date: September 1, 2010 13:07

and Butler played the solo on 'Don't Look Back Into The Sun'

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 1, 2010 13:10

He's brilliant is Pete, the silly sod. And so's Carl Barât. I can't wait for Carl's solo album.

Date: September 1, 2010 13:26

Squiggle
He's brilliant is Pete, the silly sod. And so's Carl Barât. I can't wait for Carl's solo album.

Pete is one of the most gifted lyricists of his generation, he's a great talent, no doubt about it.
Time For Heroes is a wonderful and clever song:-

"There are fewer more distressing sights than that
Of an Englishman in a baseball cap
And we'll die in the class we were born
But that's a class of our own my love"

and the autobiographical 'Can't Stand Me Now' is heartbreaking and full of forboding.

However Pete's greatest moment is the beautiful 'For Lovers' (his collaboration with The Wolfman). I consider it a masterpiece and one of the best songs, by anyone, of the last decade.
I'd love to hear our Keith cover it.

Date: September 1, 2010 17:46

'For Lovers' is a superb, moody, piece of music. Lyrically sublime and the atmospheric feel is magical.

I'm glad there are other Pete fans, here. I'm a huge, huge, fan and have been since I first heard 'What A Waster' and 'Up The Bracket' in 2002. There was something very special about the Libertines and Pete and Carl are wonderful together.

I have tickets to see Carl Barat at the Scala next month - can't wait.

Date: September 1, 2010 23:54

Big Al
Teddy, Pete is 'clean and sober', seemingly. He's not quite his old self - as can be seen in early interviews circa 2002 - but he's a hell of a lot better now than he appears in the above clip.

Watching the Libertines performance at Reading and his recent solo spot at the Hop Farm Festival, it is quite clear that he's nearing full recovery.

About Mick Jones: he's a wonderful musician and songwriter, but I personally feel that Bernard Butler produced the Libertines better. The 'What A Waster' and 'Don't Look Back Into The Sun' singles are the best sounding Libertines recordings. Alas, the former Suede guitarist had a problem: Peter Doherty.

Good to hear about Peter, though if he were really sober I think he'd be more voluable, even with the damage that's been done. I don't agree about Bernard, though I do like What A Waster. On the other hand, I think Mick's cut of DLBITS sounds better. Yes, Bernard did have a problem with Pete, but he also had a problem getting any joy out of the band in general when he tried to cut the second album. Bernard's a great talent, but a bit of a miserable git (ask Suede), and that's not right for the Libs. I also don't love what Stephen Street did with Shotters Nation. There's no personality. Mick had the great Bill Price record and mix the s/t Libertines (and first Babyshambles), so it's not like they didn't get that live and rough sound on purpose. The real point is probably that only Mick could have gotten the second Libertines record recorded at all and Under those circumstances, he did the best he could. For that, he deserved the UK producer of the year award he won. It's too bad though they didn't go with the seventeen track version, with the great take on The Delaney.

Date: September 2, 2010 00:01

Adrian-L
Squiggle

Pete is one of the most gifted lyricists of his generation, he's a great talent, no doubt about it.
Time For Heroes is a wonderful and clever song:-

"There are fewer more distressing sights than that
Of an Englishman in a baseball cap
And we'll die in the class we were born
But that's a class of our own my love"

and the autobiographical 'Can't Stand Me Now' is heartbreaking and full of forboding.

My favorite Pete lyric had Wolfman input. it's the bridge to The Delaney:

"Some people run from trouble, some people meet it halfway
Others are glad to pay the cabfare over
Oh how sup-er (second vocal: soup and fish a-fresh for Anna Lee -- Ronettes quote) -fi-cial-ly you enjoy the company
That you loath to bear -- what exactly does that mean?"

Date: September 2, 2010 00:07

Nice post, Teddy. Truthfully, my views are partly fed by what I've read, but Down In Albion is a shockingly terrible release and Mick Jones is blamed for his lack of control and for allowing a rehearsal of 'Kilimanjaro' to be put on the LP instead of the preferred single cut.

I had a terrific chat with Doherty's manager - in prison now, I believe - oh, dear! - about a year ago and he was incredibly complementary about Bernard Butler. It is true, though: I have read that he can be a moody sod and with Doherty's tendencies, perhaps it was always apparent that the two wouldn't get along for too long.

Date: September 2, 2010 00:14

This here clip is supposedly - and probably, I might add - the first filmed interview with the Libertines. It dates from mid-2002 and just goes to show how engaging and wonderfully interactive Doherty was as an interviewee pre-drugs. He's also rather complimentary towards a former Suede guitarist, too.

Date: September 2, 2010 10:36

i just hope the Libertines reunion doesn't signal a downward spiral for Pete's health and wellbeing.

Date: September 2, 2010 13:02

Adrian-L
i just hope the Libertines reunion doesn't signal a downward spiral for Pete's health and wellbeing.

Here, Here. I think the group have moved on as individuals since those wild days of Albion when Pete and Carl shared that house in Hackney. The bassist now resides in Denmark and the drummer, Gary, is reportedly a family man now. I can't see the Libertines themselves being destructive for Pete. If he can stay away from the crowd he immersed himself in once he'd being kicked out of the group in the first place, then he'll remain OK, IMO.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 2, 2010 16:13

Based on this interview alone, I think he's very clever.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: September 2, 2010 16:43

Oh, he's certainly clever. Clever ain't wise, of course, but certainly clever.

Date: September 2, 2010 20:51

Yeah, that clip does the rounds frequently: a 17-year-old Pete queeing outside HMV on Oxford Street to purcahse Oasis's Be Here Now on it's day of release. Classic >grinning smiley<

Date: September 23, 2010 14:33

The video for Carl's first solo single is up at his site. Very good:

[www.carlbarat.co.uk]

Date: September 25, 2010 19:18

Yep - good stuff!

Thanks for sharing, Squiggle

Date: September 25, 2010 21:38

thanks for the link, Squiggle

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 25, 2010 21:44

Personally, I don't like the Libertines and even less Doherty. He is way overrated and generally a little tosser wanna be. In twenty years time the work of this man will fortunatly be long forgotten.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 26, 2010 03:22

Love to see him completely stoned and fall face first into a bowl of hot oatmeal.Now that is rock and roll.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home