Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Prog-Rock Album?
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 21:52

Hi,

I believe there was one important genre of music in the '70s the Stones had never touched: progressive rock (shortened as prog-rock), or art rock.

From Wikipedia:
Progressive rock (often shortened to prog or prog-rock) refers to a form of music which evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility."

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse/chorus-based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements from classical, jazz and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."

So, please tell me, did the Stones ever attempt to record a progressive rock concept album in the vein of those by the then up-and-coming '70s bands like Yes, Queen and Supertramp (as well as the Stones' own rock rivals The Who and their two concept albums that were 1969's Tommy and 1973's Quadrophenia)?

~Ben

Re: Stones Prog-Rock Album?
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 26, 2009 22:18

No.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 26, 2009 22:28

Oh God I hope not.
I can't think of anything more horrible.
I HATED prog!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 26, 2009 22:28

they did not and really could not...leave the prog rock to the rock gods who knew who to weave classical and jazz into the music - king crimson, yes, genesis, zappa...you know the roll call...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 26, 2009 22:38

Stones are too guitar-oriented to have gone down that road (thank jeebus)

Date: September 26, 2009 22:40

swiss

nothing to do with that at all. king crimson is guitar-driven - many others in the field, as well...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 26, 2009 22:42

She's Like a Rainbow is about as close as they got.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 26, 2009 23:36

StonesTod
swiss

nothing to do with that at all. king crimson is guitar-driven - many others in the field, as well...

Keith's sound (and BJ, MT, rw) is as far from Adrian Belew as you can get (as his website says "the world's greatest experimental whammy twang bar rhino king crimson stunt guitarist" ) but I see what you mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 23:38 by swiss.

Date: September 26, 2009 23:39

sure it's a style difference, but really the same set of instruments -that's the only thing in common, really. and long before belew joined the act, it was fripp handling all the guitar chores - with aplomb, i might add...

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 23:47

I also believe Bill Wyman's 1967 solo single "In Another Land" had him channeling Pink Floyd's "Arnold Layne."

~Ben

Date: September 26, 2009 23:51

BrianJones1969
I also believe Bill Wyman's 1967 solo single "In Another Land" had him channeling Pink Floyd's "Arnold Layne."

~Ben

not to overdo it with the label's - but i would regard early floyd and TSMR in general as "acid rock" as opposed to progressive rock....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 27, 2009 00:22

BrianJones1969
Hi,

I believe there was one important genre of music in the '70s the Stones had never touched: progressive rock (shortened as prog-rock), or art rock.

Thank Christ for that.

Date: September 27, 2009 00:24

Gazza
BrianJones1969
Hi,

Thank Christ for that.

because there's something wrong with prog rock or cos the stones weren't equipped for it?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 27, 2009 00:43

Mostly the former. Thankfully the Stones have never been that pretentious, so we never got to truly find out if it was the latter.

Date: September 27, 2009 00:53

hmmmm....i love good, classic pretentiousness.

seriously, the musicians in most of the prog rock bands are much more skilled than their rock'n'roll counterparts - just from a musical appreciation level alone, it's worth investigating some of it....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 27, 2009 02:00

StonesTod
seriously, the musicians in most of the prog rock bands are much more skilled than their rock'n'roll counterparts - just from a musical appreciation level alone, it's worth investigating some of it....

...and I don´t care if musicians are much more skilled than others as long as it does not touch my soul,move me...

The so called ´70s prog rock was an experience I will never repeat again.

Date: September 27, 2009 02:02

shortfatfanny
StonesTod

...and I don´t care if musicians are much more skilled than others as long as it does not touch my soul,move me...

The so called ´70s prog rock was an experience I will never repeat again.

not all music is for the soul - some is for the head

Date: September 27, 2009 02:35

Therefore the terms soulmusic and headmusic ,Tod ?

Beside simply labeling it´s as usual a matter of musical taste.

And it´s not necessarily a contradiction being music for soul and head.(Depends of course on the individual listener - who else ?)
I just discovered Miles Davis ´"On The Corner" sessions (the 6 CD package) for me.
It´s great,groovy...that´s fantastic music I never listened to before.

Have just heard the first CD ,need a break now,but looking forward to listen to the others.

After that for example "We´re a happy family" by The Ramones is very welcome...

Date: September 27, 2009 02:49

whatever works for you - there is no good and bad music, imo. sometimes i need to feed by head, sometimes my body and soul. some of my fave prog rock works for all of it, but some is just when i'm in a head place. lots of classical music and alot of the jazz i listen to works like that too.

the stones are definitely a body and soul feeder....

Date: September 27, 2009 02:58

StonesTod
the stones are definitely a body and soul feeder....

I guess you don´t mind that I agree on this one,definitely !

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 27, 2009 10:46

StonesTod
BrianJones1969

~Ben

not to overdo it with the label's - but i would regard early floyd and TSMR in general as "acid rock" as opposed to progressive rock....

I 100% agree.
Satanic Majesties was their attempt at 'acid rock, and while amusing, missed the mark for me.

Structurally, the closest I think they ever gor to being prog (which isn't that close really) would be '100 Years Ago'. The inventive chord progressions, the stops, the pick-up and rhythm changes started by the clavinet at the end...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 27, 2009 16:35

Sometime in the late 70s, I heard a radio commercial for a gig by a Rolling Stones tribute band. Not only was the music they had playing underneath the voice-over NOT Rolling Stones music, it was actually some kind of generic, instrumental, keyboard-laden PROG! I thought "What Rolling Stones song is THAT supposed to be?" I mean, really, Is there any band LESS prog than the Rolling Stones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-27 16:38 by tatters.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 27, 2009 17:53

best prog band today - Dream Theater

Date: September 27, 2009 19:27

There used to be a (I guess) prog band called No Walls from ATL. Maybe there was free jazz in there; the leader, writer, singer, frontman came right out of hardcore punk. But these guys did one album WAAAY back, and to this day it remains amazing.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 27, 2009 20:41

Absolutely not. As far as I'm concerned, they strayed from their roots enough with Between the Buttons and Satanic Majesties. Thank God they found their way home.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 27, 2009 20:51

Does anyone recall Dylan's line about prog rock?

It was something like: No music brings about its own demise . . . well except maybe prog rock.

Could have been the Theme Time Radio Show on Beginnings Middles and Ends.

Date: September 27, 2009 21:22

there's prog and there's prog. If Gabriel-era Genesis is prog, then I love some prog. Even "Close to Tne Edge" era Yes is okay, but...e.g I had a friend who loved this band called Camel, and on and on and yawn. I really wonder how the band themselves were staying awake.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 28, 2009 08:21

Brrrr!!! with double-necked guitars and shit...Genesis 'Suppers ready' is about the only thing I like from that horrible era...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 08:55

most prog rock is boring i do like the big names like emerson lake and palmer, yes,genesis,king crimson, pink floyd, and jethro tull. but pushing songs over the 15 min mark in the studio puts me to sleep. a 20 min. song in concert can be awesome because a good band feeds off the audience. but for the most part a 3-4 min. song has more to offer.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 11:23

They strayed into it with part-2 of 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'. Probably pulled that way by Mick Taylor who could could easily have settled into some kind prog-rock-blues outfit. Did he not eventually leave because he thought their style of music was too limiting - and stifling his 'creativity'.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home