Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Linda Ronstadt
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 28, 2010 04:41

Any fans here?

I've decided to buy a compilation and was wondering what people here thought was the most comprehensive.

I've been watching a few of her televison performances on You Tube and this one is a particular favourite:

Re: OT: Linda Ronstadt
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 28, 2010 05:13

she's my favorite female vocalist - get "hasten down the wind" first -

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: March 28, 2010 05:18

Well, she did cover the Stones' "Tumbling Dice," available on her 1977 album, Simple Dreams. In a July 21, 1978 performance, Ronstadt actually joined the Stones onstage for this song.

Mick Jagger was actually quite enamored with Ronstadt's version of his band's tune, and even encouraged her to start singing more rock-oriented songs.

~Ben

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: March 28, 2010 14:05

BrianJones1969
Well, she did cover the Stones' "Tumbling Dice," available on her 1977 album, Simple Dreams. In a July 21, 1978 performance, Ronstadt actually joined the Stones onstage for this song.

Mick Jagger was actually quite enamored with Ronstadt's version of his band's tune, and even encouraged her to start singing more rock-oriented songs.

~Ben

I uploaded that show here [www.iorr.org]

Tumbling Dice-[www.megaupload.com]

She's a fabulous singer,i really like her first album(?) ''Linda Ronstadt'' but i dont own any compilations,maybe have a look on Spotify

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 28, 2010 15:51

OK, I have ordered The Best Of Linda Ronstadt: The Capitol Years. It's a compilation comprising her first four solo LP's, with a few bonuses thrown in. There are a few 'Best Of's' out there, but they all seem a little skimpy on content. From what I have heard of her thus far, it's the L.A. Laurel Canyon type stuff that seems to appeal the most.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: March 28, 2010 17:38

She's great!
I read once where she was talking about singing begging songs.
The kind of song where you are begging someone to stay with you.

No one sings those songs like her!

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 28, 2010 20:35

I like her and have the two Greatest Hits compilations and a nice bootleg DVD compilation. But out of all those country rock songstresses who made it in the 70s I still think Emmylou is the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-28 22:54 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 28, 2010 20:50

heart like a wheel album just magnificent. such an amazng precious singer.

her version of mike nesmith's 'different drum' has her right at ground central with the advent of alt. country roots music, before even Gram...linda's an international treasure... the album where she's cuddling a pig (no lie) on the cover also Magnificent...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 28, 2010 20:58

I love her and bought almost all of her cds in the 70's and 80's. And HB is right about " Hasten Down The Wind". It's a masterpiece for that type of music, I guess most of it can be considered " torch songs". "Heart Like A Wheel" is another gem, I agree BEELYBOY. I think Mick had a fling with her in t he 70's ( BIG SURPRISE) about the time that she performed on stage with the band. She was quite the looker back then...even though she has gained a few pounds, she's still pretty.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 28, 2010 21:20

a lady with a beautiful voice

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: March 28, 2010 21:26

I still pull her records out from time to time too. Several nice bootlegs in circulation; see Nov-18-73 (Record Plant) and the KBFH from '75 to name a couple.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:11

I know Big Al's thread is about her music, but weren't Linda Ronstadt and Mick very good friends -if you know what I mean - at one time?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:24

I met her very briefly once in a pub called the Red Lion in Brentford, just a quick intro by thge bar , she was with Steve Simpson and his band Chuck Farley, can't remember if she sang on stage or not, nice lady.
I saw something on TV last week about Latin music and I am sure she now performs more of that kind of music than Country.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 28, 2010 23:28

The only two big hits covering Stones songs that I can think of are Tumbling Dice by Linda Ronstadt, and Satisfaction by Otis Redding.

Are there any other big hits like that?

Date: March 28, 2010 23:44

i enjoy most her of well known tunes

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:14

Linda, Our Keef.....and Chuck.

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:21

mitchflorida
The only two big hits covering Stones songs that I can think of are Tumbling Dice by Linda Ronstadt, and Satisfaction by Otis Redding.

Out of Time by Chris Farlowe was number 1 in the UK in 1966 and remains the best known version of the song.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 29, 2010 00:54

Gazza
mitchflorida

Out of Time by Chris Farlowe was number 1 in the UK in 1966 and remains the best known version of the song.

Just listened to Farlowe's version. Nothing to write home about

Hard to believe the Stones couldn't have had a hit with this song, or maybe they couldn't be bothered to promote it as a single. I never heard the version below. .this one is a lot better than the one with Brian playing the vibes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 01:00 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 03:05

Wait a minute...

Mick and Keith actually did write a few songs for other artists. Cases in point:

1. Marianne Faithfull singing "As Tears Go By," a song the Stones recorded for themselves a year after her version's release; producer/ex-manager Andrew Oldham also was a co-writer. However, Faithfull's 1987 version is very dreadful to listen to, as her voice was pretty much "coked" up.
2. Gene Pitney singing "That Girl Belongs to Yesterday."

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 03:08 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: March 29, 2010 03:18

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 29, 2010 04:09

batcave

33 years ago, wow! Waddy hasn't aged a bit.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 29, 2010 05:20

"Don't Cry Now" is a good one, has Love Has No Pride, Silver Thread and Golden Needles, JD Souther's "The Fast One", Randy Newman's "Sail Away", Neil Young's "I Believe In You", and Desperado.

Somple Dreams is pretty good too, has a couple of good Warren Zevon covers, Carmelita, and Poor Poor Pitiful Me. Plus Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 06:16

BluzDude...see you Monday night smiling smiley

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: March 29, 2010 17:06

Ohhhhhh man I love this Broad, what a set of pipes on her, pure
magic. I remember when I was a kid she sang "Crazy" for Jimmy Carter,
in 1977 it looked like he was in a haze. Did she ever produce a live album.
That's the gem I would buy.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 29, 2010 22:53

don't forget the hot cover of 'Heat Wave'...and her work with Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton.

Posted by: django ()
Date: March 29, 2010 23:14

Mick and Linda 1978:

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 29, 2010 23:19

Her album with Dolly and Emmy was very, very good.

Date: March 30, 2010 06:02

django
Mick and Linda 1978:

gosh there's linda with Happy the Clown....don't laugh; hired him for my kids lawn party..he juggles and everything... !!! well worth the mill

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 30, 2010 06:07

Linda Ronstadt?.....Oh @#$%&....we need a tour.angry smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 30, 2010 06:13

here's Happy in yet another remarkable outfit. aww mick looks super great in thousands of pix...
love the dude..
[photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-30 06:36 by Beelyboy.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home