Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26
Re: EXILE press release says ten new tracks
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 4, 2010 03:06

FreeBird
Considering Keith's likely reaction to Mick Taylor overdubs I'm actually quite happy with what Mick Jagger did, if what you're saying is right.

If Keith doesn't like them, they're not getting released. If Mick had asked Keith's permission in the first place, they might never have been recorded at all. So maybe Jagger was thinking if he "surprised" Keith with Taylor's dubs, Keith might be pleasantly surprised with what he heard. Unless Keith was so furious that Mick went behind his back that he didn't even want to hear them.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 4, 2010 03:12

This Exile project is turning into a vaudeville... The wife (MJ) inviting the lover (MT) at her home behind hubby's (KR) back... Please! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 4, 2010 03:12

It's admirable how almost everybody in this thread is able to read directly into Mick and Keith's psyche and determine in often explicit detail exactly how they would act or react in almost any given scenario.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: March 4, 2010 04:03

I have some serious questions....Why the hell are they adding vocals,percussion,and guitar parts almost forty years later? That is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard! Mick sings nothing like he did in 1972. His voice has dropped many an octave since the early 70s. They have tunes like...Save Me(AKA Criss Cross Man),Travelling Man, Potted Shrimp,etc...Plus they surely have alternates of many of the songs on the actual album...Tumbling Dice, Sweet Virginia,All Down The Line, Stop Breaking Down,Etc...Come To Think Of It, I Know There Are Alternate Versions..I've Heard Them!!

Also, Why don't they just put out Ladies & Gentleman?...There is probably lots of lost footage....We are waiting 40 years...Lets Put A Move On It!!

Also, Why not put out CS Blues?...There is tons of footage by Robert Frank..They can edit any parts they dont like..or add lost footage.

The Rolling Stones Need To Realize That People Interested In This Band Are Not Getting Any Younger! We Have Been Waiting Almost 45 For Those Idiots At ABKCO To Wake UP!!!
Now It's Time For The Stones To Deliver...To The Hard core Fans That Have Been Waiting For The Studio Outakes, Films and Live Concerts to See The Light of Day!! As The Song Says,"We Are Waiting!" Don't Disappoint us boys!

Charlie

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 4, 2010 04:47

soulsurvivor1
I have some serious questions....Why the hell are they adding vocals,percussion,and guitar parts almost forty years later? That is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard! Mick sings nothing like he did in 1972. His voice has dropped many an octave since the early 70s. They have tunes like...Save Me(AKA Criss Cross Man),Travelling Man, Potted Shrimp,etc...Plus they surely have alternates of many of the songs on the actual album...Tumbling Dice, Sweet Virginia,All Down The Line, Stop Breaking Down,Etc...Come To Think Of It, I Know There Are Alternate Versions..I've Heard Them!!

Also, Why don't they just put out Ladies & Gentleman?...There is probably lots of lost footage....We are waiting 40 years...Lets Put A Move On It!!

Also, Why not put out CS Blues?...There is tons of footage by Robert Frank..They can edit any parts they dont like..or add lost footage.

The Rolling Stones Need To Realize That People Interested In This Band Are Not Getting Any Younger! We Have Been Waiting Almost 45 For Those Idiots At ABKCO To Wake UP!!!
Now It's Time For The Stones To Deliver...To The Hard core Fans That Have Been Waiting For The Studio Outakes, Films and Live Concerts to See The Light of Day!! As The Song Says,"We Are Waiting!" Don't Disappoint us boys!

Charlie

You need to realize that you don't have to make a capital letter in every word. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: March 4, 2010 06:21

Gazza
TeddyB1018
Gazza
The Greek
this is a joke to me another typical money grab .remixing exile to me is sacreligious .what are we gonna condone the repainting of the sistene chapel in the vatican because of a perceived smudge ?it's a masterpiece dont mess with it

They're not repainting the 'masterpiece'. They're releasing it as it is. Same songs. Remastered. Not remixed. The 18-track album is getting the same treatment as the rest of the UMG remasters.

All they're doing is touching up a few of the original, unseen sketches and adding them separately.

Different project entirely.

Exactly. Gazza, was that you posting on Steve Hoffman's site?

if you mean quoting the bits from the Uncut interview, yes, that was me. Your posts on here enticed me to register to find out more. LOL.
you should check this board out too, pretty wild, reminds me just a bit of vintage novogate rocks off laugh-wise lol
hoffman 'sister' board

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 4, 2010 10:01

JumpingKentFlash
soulsurvivor1

Charlie

You need to realize that you don't have to make a capital letter in every word. grinning smiley

We have to realize that this project is being discussed to death already a couple of months before its release, at a time when noone of its toughest critics has not even heard a single note of the finished tracks.

Out Takes?
Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: March 4, 2010 10:29

Hi everyone and greetings from Birmingham, England. This is the first topic/dicussion thread that I have posted although I have been a frequent visitor to these pages. I've been a Stones fan for 30 years and have seen them live 24 times.

Now for my point/question.

Out takes? If they were not good enough for the original release of EOMS why should we assume that they are going to be a worthwhile addition to our collections now? Do we want or need "new" material of this nature?

Yes it's a fascinating insight into what is contained in the vaults but should they be left where they are and we continue to listen to our assorted bootlegs? Yet again the Stones could stand accused of milking the cash cow that is their fanbase. On one hand I'm curious to discover if the vaults contain hidden gems but on the other I think "here we go again" and hand over more of our hard earned cash and for what? More recycled material?

I have to admit to some curiosity and I'm at 70% enthusiast 30% cynicist. I will buy it when it's released because I want to keep my collection intact but part of me feels that the fans are being fleeced of their cash once again.

Anyone else feeling these "mixed emotions" or am I alone?

Re: Out Takes?
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: March 4, 2010 10:31

Welcome Scooby. I never feel fleeced apart from the rarities collection which was probably aimed at the more casual fan.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 4, 2010 11:54

"We have to realize that this project is being discussed to death already a couple of months before its release, at a time when noone of its toughest critics has not even heard a single note of the finished tracks."

Exactly! There's a big wide world out there. Try it? How can people get this wound up about a product they haven't seen, heard or touched it beyond me!!

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: March 4, 2010 13:52

Yes, I have mixed emotions too. I've been longing for this release since I first heard of it, but now, when I know what it is going to be like, without having heard the 10 unheard tracks of course, I'm not that eager anymore. I don't think that a remastered Exile will sound much, or any, better than the Virgin one. The
ten new tracks, even if unfinished, should not have been overdubbed almost 40 years after they were recorded. I'm not interested in the vinyl part of the deluxe set but I sure would like to have the DVD. Pity they are not sold separately. I'm not sure I'm ready to pay almost £100 just to get the DVD.
For me the whole project would have been much more interesting with a remixed Exile, in both stereo and 5.1 sound, the original stereo mix remastered, and the DVD.
Matt

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 4, 2010 13:52

ablett
"We have to realize that this project is being discussed to death already a couple of months before its release, at a time when noone of its toughest critics has not even heard a single note of the finished tracks."

Exactly! There's a big wide world out there. Try it? How can people get this wound up about a product they haven't seen, heard or touched it beyond me!!

once again, what else is there to talk about on a Stones board?????
Mick's wig?
The next Stones setlist x 100?
Charlie's anteater?

I am very bored...it's the only thing that we can talk about...i.e. something that is actually happening with this soon-to-be-sunk band !

the reason why we are wound up is because Stones fans are waiting for something to happen.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 4, 2010 14:05

"the reason why we are wound up is because Stones fans are waiting for something to happen."

Well to be honest don't. There's many other great bands out there. The stones have been going nearly 50 years. I for one don't expect a thing but when we get something new just enjoy it. So many here are getting worked up into a lather about something then don't even own yet.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 4, 2010 14:13

Matt
For me the whole project would have been much more interesting with a remixed ExileMatt
They're no Pink Floyd... Besides, the age of 5.1 rock music releases is long over. In all likelihood, Sympathy for the Devil will remain their only song to be released in 5.1 form.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: March 4, 2010 14:19

Scooby

Out takes? If they were not good enough for the original release of EOMS why should we assume that they are going to be a worthwhile addition to our collections now? Do we want or need "new" material of this nature?

I guess that's best answered by considering that a significant portion of Exile was leftovers, as was Tattoo You. Songs become leftovers for a variety of reasons, not just that they were crap.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2010 14:29

It's sort of ironic that we're complaining about having to pay $100 because its the only way we're going to get an exclusive Stones DVD.

Doesnt this story sound a bit familiar?

At least this time we'll actually GET the DVD.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 4, 2010 14:46

studiorambo

I guess that's best answered by considering that a significant portion of Exile was leftovers, as was Tattoo You. Songs become leftovers for a variety of reasons, not just that they were crap.

It is funny that we are now having an album of leftovers of an album of left-overs...>grinning smiley< Perhaps we will be treated with DELUXE TATTOO YOU soon...

(Jokes aside: I never seen such a thing as an official "left-over" that is bad by the quality (think of EXILE, TATTOO YOU, ROCK&ROLL CIRCUS). I have the guts to think that somewhere there in the vaults gathered during the last twenty years there is a better album to be discovered (a'la TATTOO YOU) than anything they have officially released. So keep 'em coming!)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-04 14:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 4, 2010 14:58

studiorambo
Scooby

yes, but aren´t the best leftovers already used then.
what are we getting? the outtakes of outtakes of outtakes with new overdubs??

Matt said :
"For me the whole project would have been much more interesting with a remixed Exile"

i agree with that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 4, 2010 15:53

Gazza
It's sort of ironic that we're complaining about having to pay $100 because its the only way we're going to get an exclusive Stones DVD.

mighty praise for a MAKING of a dvd 30 minutes long .wow what that will cost us in money to hear mick give his two cents

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 4, 2010 16:05

Gazza

It's £100 on Play.com, which is a huge sum of money for a 30 minute DVD and completely unaffordable for me and no doubt many others.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: March 4, 2010 16:06

<<How can people get this wound up about a product they haven't seen, heard or touched>>

The proof's in the pudding but surely that Jagger, Richards and (hopefully) Taylor have been working on EOMS-era material is the most exciting news since Ms. Ivanova broke wind on public television?

BTW, shouldn't we be trying to lure some Taylor-related information from our man on the inside?

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 4, 2010 16:31

"Why don't they just put out Ladies & Gentleman?"

That's the question I have been waiting to be answered as well...

As for you, "Scooby", for you to ask if you are "alone" tells me quite clearly that you have not even read the posts in this thread...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 4, 2010 16:41

>>Scooby: Out takes? If they were not good enough for the original release of EOMS why should we assume that they are going to be a worthwhile addition to our collections now? Do we want or need "new" material of this nature?<<

There's no reason to assume they are not worthwhile to be released - because no one has heared them yet.
and...how many songs did fit on the original (and only studio) double LP?
I've read some moaners posts who thought that EOMS should have been a one single LP.

Do we want or need "new" material of this nature?

well I surly do!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 4, 2010 16:50

open-g
>>Scooby: Out takes? If they were not good enough for the original release of EOMS why should we assume that they are going to be a worthwhile addition to our collections now? Do we want or need "new" material of this nature?<<

There's no reason to assume they are not worthwhile to be released - because no one has heared them yet.
I've read some moaners posts who thought that EOMS should have been a one single LP.

well I surly do!

Me too. I want more songs like this one. Maybe oldfashioned but good!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 4, 2010 16:56

speaking of 'outtakes' on Exile ..."Just Wanna See His Face' made it on the album but sure sounds like one to me.
and I love it, the loose in the moment jam that it is...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 4, 2010 16:56

Gazza

To be fair a collector´s 55page somewhat book is said to be included as well...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2010 18:32

Father Ted
Gazza

It's £100 on Play.com, which is a huge sum of money for a 30 minute DVD and completely unaffordable for me and no doubt many others.

The director says the DVD is 61 minutes now, and yeah, I know its a lot of dough but I was pointing out the irony that the fan club package was $100 just like the US release is of the deluxe version.

Arse biscuits! smiling smiley

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 4, 2010 18:56

Remember, just because the band doesn't think a song is great, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't...Keith didn't feel Satisfaction was worthy of being a single...Obviously, history proved him to be quite wrong!!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 4, 2010 19:06

open-g

well I surly do!
Right. I mean is 10 outtakes better or worse than writing 10 completely new songs?
At least they are finally acknowledging the past in some way and trying to give their fans something worthwhile...........and yes we need something to talk about on a Stones board.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 4, 2010 19:07

>> The director says the DVD is 61 minutes now <<

what was reported was: "Accompanying the release is a 61-minute documentary".
that might refer to documentary that's planned for broadcast on TV, not to the DVD.
why the item for sale would be shorter than the one being aired for free i don't know,
but the Stones work in mysterious ways.

i love the Rolling Stones - and i mean *exactly* the Rolling Stones :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-04 19:08 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1440
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home