Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26
Re: EXILE press release says ten new tracks
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 16:11

i agree with gazza.

what i am furthermore curious about is how different the original exile will sound.

i can actually imagine mick really remixed it.

four 5 make me think that:

1) mick said for years he would like to remix it
2) in that italien interview he said because it´s only 4 or 8 tracks per song a remix wouldn´t be so different from a remastering.
3) if i remember correctly he even said he was sure the people wouldn´t even hear it if he just remixed it and told noone.
4) the remaster of sticky sounds in some places very different to me so that that probably might be a remix and not only remaster. maybe not a full remix but a stem mastering.
5) i think the gear used to make exile and the sound of the original record, which is not so good, would make it easy to remix it in my eyes. lib or bb would be way more difficult to get the same sound again.

having said that i also think exile is from all stones records the easiest to do overdubs and vocals and make it sound like it was recorded early 70´s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 16:23 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2010 16:37

Outside of obsessive fans like us, noone is really interested in hearing recordings of the band playing unfinished songs without any vocals.

As a compromise, of the tracks they have overdubbed on to they could have included the before and after versions. There is plenty of space on a CD. This gives them freedom to overdub as they please(which they have anyway), but also allows more hardcore/purist fans to have the original recordings as they were left at the time as well.

Instead of being a grumpy old stick in the mud, I'm going to buy it and listen to it loudly with an open mind. Perhaps they've done a great job and the freshly overdubbed tracks will kick the proverbial ass in which case I wont mind not having the raw originals.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 2, 2010 16:57

Gazza
Slick
i will reserve judgment until i actually hear the 'new' stuff, just hope they dont botch it up. ie. adding 2010 mick vocals to vintage 1970's tracks will sound horrible.

Problem is, we dont really know how much leftover material was releasable. Its pretty much well documented that the bulk of the vocals (according to Mick anyway) werent finished until they did the overdubs in LA. By that stage, once youve worked on 18 songs for what was, after all, a double album, which came out just one year after their previous record its quite feasible that not a lot of other songs were finished. When youve finished 18 songs and have deadlines, there's no need to waste valuable time finishing songs that you have no intention (at the time anyway) of putting out.

Taking that into account, you maybe have four possible options here for a bonus CD :

1) They could have released the known, circulating Exile-era outtakes 'as is', which would have led to endless complaints about just putting out stuff that a lot of people already have.

2) they could have released a CD of leftover songs which were unfinished and just put them out as they are. Cue multiple complaints about 'filler' and the sheer cheek of putting out half finished sketches and expecting fans to buy any old rubbish.

3) They could release a hybrid of finished but previously unbootlegged tracks and previously unbootlegged unfinished tracks, adding some latter day overdubs to the latter to make them sound finished.

4) They could release absolutely nothing at all.

Given the choice, I'd prefer option 3). Thats the option theyve chosen.

Although, that said, I wouldnt have objected to them filling out the CD with a few songs from option 1), which would have been in better quality than what was previously available.

However, its still a better alternative than the other three.

Of the four choices you listed, a combination of 1 and 2 would have been better than 3. Not everyone has the bootlegs, and even the people who do would still have appreciated having that material in official-release-quality sound. Also, "filler" and "any old rubbish" are terms that can hardly be applied to unfinished tracks recorded when the Stones were at the peak of their creativity. Having the Stones tinkering with these tracks nearly 40 years PAST the peak of their creativity, however, is something that could very well turn these historic recordings INTO rubbish! A better option than any of these would have been to put the unmolested studio scrapings on the second disc, the unreleased 1972 live album on a THIRD disc, and the entire L & G on the DVD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 17:06 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 2, 2010 16:58

His Majesty
Outside of obsessive fans like us, noone is really interested in hearing recordings of the band playing unfinished songs without any vocals.

As a compromise, of the tracks they have overdubbed on to they could have included the before and after versions. There is plenty of space on a CD. This gives them freedom to overdub as they please(which they have anyway), but also allows more hardcore/purist fans to have the original recordings as they were left at the time as well.

Instead of being a grumpy old stick in the mud, I'm going to buy it and listen to it loudly with an open mind. Perhaps they've done a great job and the freshly overdubbed tracks will kick the proverbial ass in which case I wont mind not having the raw originals.

Good post!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 2, 2010 17:28

this is a joke to me another typical money grab .remixing exile to me is sacreligious .what are we gonna condone the repainting of the sistene chapel in the vatican because of a perceived smudge ?it's a masterpiece dont mess with it but too late i guess .so we will get some fancy booklet (oh woopie)and a making of dvd of exile instead of ladies and gentelman dvd (alternate night from houston).this sounds like garbage with the exception of the BONUS TRACKS .the only thing worth spending the money for ,but still once again jagger never misses a opportunity to pick the pockets of his diehard legions of fans .the jagger motto pay thru the nose for a tiny portion of the greatness

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 2, 2010 17:43

Who cares actually...I mean, who's going to pay for it anyway? All this talk, and in the end we all will be downloading it for free the day it's released. So, we should be grateful they even bother releasing it, as they will probably only sell 4.352 CD's worldwide. And they know it.

Mathijs

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 2, 2010 17:47

The Greek
this is a joke to me another typical money grab .remixing exile to me is sacreligious .what are we gonna condone the repainting of the sistene chapel in the vatican because of a perceived smudge ?it's a masterpiece dont mess with it but too late i guess .so we will get some fancy booklet (oh woopie)and a making of dvd of exile instead of ladies and gentelman dvd (alternate night from houston).this sounds like garbage with the exception of the BONUS TRACKS .the only thing worth spending the money for ,but still once again jagger never misses a opportunity to pick the pockets of his diehard legions of fans .the jagger motto pay thru the nose for a tiny portion of the greatness

at the risk of being dubbed "unhappy," i must concur with my big fat greek friend's analysis...

Date: March 2, 2010 17:48

Mathijs
Who cares actually...I mean, who's going to pay for it anyway? All this talk, and in the end we all will be downloading it for free the day it's released. So, we should be grateful they even bother releasing it, as they will probably only sell 4.352 CD's worldwide. And they know it.

Mathijs

hey!!! blank cdr's and printer paper and jewel cases do cost money!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:04

tatters
Also, "filler" and "any old rubbish" are terms that can hardly be applied to unfinished tracks recorded when the Stones were at the peak of their creativity.

Sorry, but it can. Doodling is doodling, and singing out of tune unfinished lyrics is just as unlistenable whether it was recorded in 1970 or recorded in 2010.

People actually want them to release stuff like 'Exile On Main Street Blues' for goodness sake. Its still a throwaway piece of crap, no matter when it was recorded.

I can see your point entirely about tinkering with 40 year old recordings, but if the alternative is something half arsed that sounds like Keith farting in the bath, then the fact that it happened to be recorded for Exile doesn't suddenly make it appetising or anything worth listening to more than once.

Date: March 2, 2010 18:07

The Greek
this is a joke to me another typical money grab .remixing exile to me is sacreligious .what are we gonna condone the repainting of the sistene chapel in the vatican because of a perceived smudge ?it's a masterpiece dont mess with it

They're not repainting the 'masterpiece'. They're releasing it as it is. Same songs. Remastered. Not remixed. The 18-track album is getting the same treatment as the rest of the UMG remasters.

All they're doing is touching up a few of the original, unseen sketches and adding them separately.

Different project entirely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 18:09 by Gazza.

Date: March 2, 2010 18:09

T&A
Mathijs

Mathijs

well, all i can say is.

i own 40 gb of music. and when i say i own i mean i have payed for everything of it. i never ever, not even once downloaded illegal. i would never steal music. and i would definately never steal rolling stones music.
maybe that comes from being a musician myself.

but even if you are not i think this might be a thing to think about again for some ppl.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:10

ablett
"Are people unhappy? or just cynical about this release?"

Whats there to be cynical about? 10 news tracks, remixed cd, book and dvd?

At least wait till it's released before its analysed to death...

What is the remixed CD you are talking about?

Date: March 2, 2010 18:14

stoneswashed77
T&A
Mathijs

Mathijs

well, all i can say is.

i own 40 gb of music. and when i say i own i mean i have payed for everything of it. i never ever, not even once downloaded illegal. i would never steal music. and i would definately never steal rolling stones music.

ok, you can take your hand off the bible now; we believe you

Date: March 2, 2010 18:14

Gazza
Doodling is doodling, and singing out of tune unfinished lyrics is just as unlistenable whether it was recorded in 1970 or recorded in 2010.

Hmm, such things are of interest to those that are interested in the bands creative process and how the tracks were before they reached the finished version... amongst other things.

Date: March 2, 2010 18:16

stoneswashed77

well, all i can say is.

but even if you are not i think this might be a thing to think about again for some ppl.

Do you own any bootlegs!?

Date: March 2, 2010 18:21

His Majesty
Gazza
Doodling is doodling, and singing out of tune unfinished lyrics is just as unlistenable whether it was recorded in 1970 or recorded in 2010.

Hmm, such things are of interest to those that are interested in the bands creative process and how the tracks were before they reached the finished version... amongst other things.

They are, and as someone who collects every such doodle, I'm hardly going to disagree with the interest some of them can provide.

However, such material belongs on unauthorised or bootleg releases, not on commercial products. The fact that something exists doesnt automatically make it releasable. The GRNRBITW should be about quality - not just content to release any old crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 18:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:22

"They could've knocked this set out of the park by putting L&G and CS Blues on DVD." (...or preferably Blu-Ray in 7.1 Sound)

This guy is right on, or at least the L&G (w/alt night) part of it...I'm sure I will eventually buy some version of this, however, over the years definitely felt like this band was milking their fans to an extreme with some of their releases, ticket prices, etc....I also think The Greek is correct in his statements above...

Date: March 2, 2010 18:26

Gazza
The GRNRBITW should be about quality

sigh

Date: March 2, 2010 18:32

His Majesty
stoneswashed77
well, all i can say is.

Uh oh. I downloaded illegally back when Morpheus and Napster were running at full tilt. But not things I could buy in a record store actually - mostly live tracks from, ha ha, bootlegs (1981 Stones for one) and remixes that, ha ha again, were not available in record stores where I lived for whatever reason.

That was what, 1999 or so. Since then I've only downloaded 2 songs (via a code from buying a box set). I have obtained a few bootlegs as well, CDs that is, and have uploaded those.

Does that make me illegal twice? Or is buying a bootleg and uploading it not illegal as downloading music illegally? Who's gonna get me? NOBODY. Since I paid for the boots to begin with, does that mean I still stole the music? How can you steal something that is never officially released? What's stealing? If someone is sharing music via peer to peer like Napster did, how is that any different from making a tape for someone? I never did understand that.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:34

What we see being done with this reissue is from a plan that stopped working in the late 80's (Dylan's Bootleg Series).

What should have been available for free thru torrent networks was HOURS & HOURS of raw sessions, so that each person could have made his own extra disc(s) to his/her convenience.

Trent Reznor of NIN offered his fans 400 Gb of hi-def video footage from his 2008 tour so they could make their won movie from the tour. THAT's living in the 21st century.

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:36

dewlover
"They could've knocked this set out of the park by putting L&G and CS Blues on DVD." (...or preferably Blu-Ray in 7.1 Sound)

This guy is right on, or at least the L&G (w/alt night) part of it...I'm sure I will eventually buy some version of this, however, over the years definitely felt like this band was milking their fans to an extreme with some of their releases, ticket prices, etc....I also think The Greek is correct in his statements above...

All this talk of tacking on L&G on to the Exile release is ridiculous. L&G deserves and should get a deluxe 2-DVD release with all the bells and whistles all by itself!! Anything short of that is pointless.

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:37

Gazza
Slick
i will reserve judgment until i actually hear the 'new' stuff, just hope they dont botch it up. ie. adding 2010 mick vocals to vintage 1970's tracks will sound horrible.

Problem is, we dont really know how much leftover material was releasable. Its pretty much well documented that the bulk of the vocals (according to Mick anyway) werent finished until they did the overdubs in LA. By that stage, once youve worked on 18 songs for what was, after all, a double album, which came out just one year after their previous record its quite feasible that not a lot of other songs were finished. When youve finished 18 songs and have deadlines, there's no need to waste valuable time finishing songs that you have no intention (at the time anyway) of putting out.

Taking that into account, you maybe have four possible options here for a bonus CD :

1) They could have released the known, circulating Exile-era outtakes 'as is', which would have led to endless complaints about just putting out stuff that a lot of people already have.

2) they could have released a CD of leftover songs which were unfinished and just put them out as they are. Cue multiple complaints about 'filler' and the sheer cheek of putting out half finished sketches and expecting fans to buy any old rubbish.

3) They could release a hybrid of finished but previously unbootlegged tracks and previously unbootlegged unfinished tracks, adding some latter day overdubs to the latter to make them sound finished.

4) They could release absolutely nothing at all.

Given the choice, I'd prefer option 3). Thats the option theyve chosen.

Although, that said, I wouldnt have objected to them filling out the CD with a few songs from option 1), which would have been in better quality than what was previously available.

However, its still a better alternative than the other three.

I COMPLETELY agree.

Date: March 2, 2010 18:39

option #2 for me please...supersized with fries....

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:40

What makes people think it's a 'money grab'?

As soon as something is re-released, or a new 'product' is released, some folks are just trying to pass it off because it messes with their past: "Where are the times, were music was music and not at all about money? Those golden ol' days where art where all about honesty", they are yelling.

Well guess what folks; Music is ALL about MONEY! It has always been like that. What makes people believe artists are not in it for the money too?

Even in 1972, The Stones where critizied for milking money out of their audience. Even then, they were a money-machine. And so what! It's the music that counts, don't like it, don't buy it! Simple as that!

Yes, we can always dream about how it 'would' have been or how it could be done differently, but now we are getting something, so enjoy that for a while, please!

The Greek are totally on the wrong track, in my opinion. And if the folks don't like the 'new' tracks, then buy the 1 cd remaster. It's for people who doesn't care about archival releases anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 2, 2010 18:52

T&A
The Greek

at the risk of being dubbed "unhappy," i must concur with my big fat greek friend's analysis...
you just made me smile .

Date: March 2, 2010 18:55

Blueranger
...f the folks don't like the 'new' tracks, then buy the 1 cd remaster. It's for people who doesn't care about archival releases anyway.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha. That made me wonder - which edition of Shine A Light sold better? Anyone know?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:00

Mathijs

Mathijs

Maybe, but I guess that in the end many fans (don't know how many people) will buy the whole thing. Anyway, I've read here that some others (U2, Bob Dylan) did a good job releasing their old and LIVE stuff.

I think the only interesting thing will be the 'new' songs and that's it. But imagine if they would release all that great live stuff from the Taylor-era in excellent good music and sound quality that we have missed and still miss for such a long time. Releasing that stuff would certainly be profitable. But I know nothing about possible legal problems. Though releasing that wonderful stuff while still playing live would cause a big problem , because of the disastrous comparison for the band. Maybe, just maybe when they finally have stopped performing live. Who knows.

Date: March 2, 2010 19:08

I just don't get why the Stones are so against refusing to release that kind of stuff in general. So many other acts do so. With zero concern for sales. Mick is just an active hypocrite I guess. This Exile thing has been the only exception since Tattoo You and one song on Undercover and So Young.

Date: March 2, 2010 19:10

His Majesty
stoneswashed77

well, all i can say is.

no, i don´t consider bootlegs illegal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 19:12 by stoneswashed77.

Date: March 2, 2010 19:12

So basically...Stoneswashed77 is missing out on some really cool and good shit! Damn!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home