Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Mick Jagger live on CNN with Larry King
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 23, 2010 07:46

SwayStones
I wasn't convinced at all by Jagger's speech .

He is usually so good in it .

I first thought it was due to the shift/lag of the footage .
But very quickly I had "mixed feelings" ,I think Jagger doesn't look concerned at all ,as he had learned a lesson and wasn't a good actor.

I would appreciate the non English natives ' opinion from this board

I had the same feelings but hesitated to think out loud due to the cause of his appearance. But since I'm not alone...

Mick is foremost a performer - a nice bunch of blokes - and it is very difficult to take him seriously (or not as a performer). So I think it is justified to judge him from this base: as a performer.

I think he chose the wrong 'bloke' here. I don't find him convincing and concerned at all... he sounds almost suffering that cannot flash that trademark of his that hides his age - the California smile - because it is not appropriate. And I would never buy a car from a man who has a voice like that... Maybe the whole thing is a result for trying such hard to get the impression of being so ageless. But it is a bit strange. Diplomacy is not enough: he would be a very bad politician...

(Funny though; sometimes the non-native speakers might hear the way the message is expressed more distinctively, or pay more attention to it, than the native-speakers who hear foremost the message itself, what is expressed...)

But as said the cause is the thing that matters here, so good to have Mick's contribution as well.

Now it is said and done.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-23 07:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: January 23, 2010 08:36

mick looked like hell sounded unusually unrehearsed and seemed to make the right noises while saying nothing at all.Its not that he doesn't care, or shouldn't, but really get on a plane go to NYC and give a proper interview- he's mick jagger- maybe he forgot that.

OLDKR

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 23, 2010 16:34

It could be sincere, as Jagger spend time in Haiti at the Oloffson Hotel in the late 70's.

[hoteloloffson.com]

Mathijs

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 23, 2010 16:37

the Larry King appearance was pointless.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 23, 2010 17:24

I think it's nice that Mick came on and said some things about helping Haiti.
There were probably quite a few folks who watched just because they heard
Mick was going to be on and maybe some of those folks who watched wound up
giving money when maybe they wouldn't have otherwise.

At the same time, maybe it's just the mood I'm in, but I thought of Nigel Tuffnel
while I watched the clip.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 23, 2010 18:26

Doxa
SwayStones
I wasn't convinced at all by Jagger's speech .

He is usually so good in it .

I first thought it was due to the shift/lag of the footage .
But very quickly I had "mixed feelings" ,I think Jagger doesn't look concerned at all ,as he had learned a lesson and wasn't a good actor.

I would appreciate the non English natives ' opinion from this board

I had the same feelings but hesitated to think out loud due to the cause of his appearance. But since I'm not alone...

Mick is foremost a performer - a nice bunch of blokes - and it is very difficult to take him seriously (or not as a performer). So I think it is justified to judge him from this base: as a performer.

I think he chose the wrong 'bloke' here. I don't find him convincing and concerned at all... he sounds almost suffering that cannot flash that trademark of his that hides his age - the California smile - because it is not appropriate. And I would never buy a car from a man who has a voice like that... Maybe the whole thing is a result for trying such hard to get the impression of being so ageless. But it is a bit strange. Diplomacy is not enough: he would be a very bad politician...

(Funny though; sometimes the non-native speakers might hear the way the message is expressed more distinctively, or pay more attention to it, than the native-speakers who hear foremost the message itself, what is expressed...)

- Doxa

Mick seems embarassed and uncomfortable in his "body talk"
This is the first thing I've noticed.

And that's why I've quoted your post ,because you express with the right words my "French thoughts"

The English native speakers here on IORR have pointed out an important point (Skype ) that I didn't pay too much attention to.

They are certainly right ,but I am not sure that's the "only why" of Mick's hesitations.

Funny though; sometimes the non-native speakers might hear the way the message is expressed more distinctively, or pay more attention to it, than the native-speakers who hear foremost the message itself, what is expressed...)

Can't talk for anyone's mouth but yes, this is the way I 've comprehended his speech .smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 23, 2010 21:06

He sounded spontaneous and fine to me
C'mon... he's not a friggin' scientist... He's a singer and an entertainer.
He's a famous celebrity doing his small part... encouraging his fans to contribute
Good job, Mick

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:16

Great job Mick. Class act. thank you!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 27, 2010 22:56

I finally had a chance to see the interview and think Mick did a great job. He sounded very sincere and like his true renaissance self. It was nice of him to use his star power to help out. Funny people find fault with this.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 28, 2010 06:44

sweet neo con
the Larry King appearance was pointless.
If he raised at least 1 dollar it wasn't.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 30, 2010 18:19

cc
ChefGuevara
All aside, what I really did not get was Larry King's intro about Mick...
Grammy award winner! Rock Legend by itself would have done it.

what do you expect? Superficial things like Grammy awards are important to people like King and Rose.

So true, cc. Larry King turns my stomach. Not one ounce of cool or rock and roll in that weasel. Describing Mick as a "Grammy Award winner" is like calling Michelangelo a noted painter. What a superficial idiot.

Drew

Posted by: adjeff8 ()
Date: February 2, 2010 01:37

I hate to disappoint schillid and Helter Skelter, but Mick has been bald for years. He has been wearing a wig for the last 4 tours. I know a make up artist who has worked with him.

For proof, all you need to do is look at the old onstage photos of him from the '70's. You can see that ALL of his hair gets wet with sweat. Now look at pics from the '97 tour or later. Only the tips of his hair gets wet, with the top of his head remaining dry.

It's no big deal, as he is still the greatest performer in Rock and Roll history, and at his age, I don't know how the hell he does it.

Remember one other thing. His Dad was bald at 40.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 2, 2010 01:43

No big deal........ my Hero is BALD!!!!!!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 2, 2010 02:00

adjeff8
I hate to disappoint schillid ... but Mick has been bald for years.

huh?
confused smiley

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: February 2, 2010 02:03

adjeff8
For proof, all you need to do is look at the old onstage photos of him from the '70's. You can see that ALL of his hair gets wet with sweat. Now look at pics from the '97 tour or later. Only the tips of his hair gets wet, with the top of his head remaining dry.

Wow!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home