Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Ry Cooder and Stones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 29, 2016 13:02

wonderboy
When Cooder came over to play with them, Brian was still in the band -- is that right?
Did Cooder maybe feel like his time with them was some kind of audition? Did he know that Brian was on the way out?

Yes, photos by Michael Cooper show that they even played together at Redlands in spring 1969.

Not sure what he felt regarding it being an audition or not, but it seems everyone and their dog had an inkling Brian was on his way out.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 29, 2016 15:42

Oh wow - is there a link to those pics with Brian and Ry ?

Date: July 29, 2016 19:41

Koen

Look at pics by ROCKMAN on page 7. All taken at Redlands spring 1969. There are some more which aren't posted there anymore.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 29, 2016 19:46

It sounds as if Cooder was a private man and didn't want people getting into his guitar playing.
But Keith likes to sit down with a guitarist and say, 'Hey, what do you got, let me hear you. Let's play.'
You could see they wouldn't be a good fit. Keith's highest compliment to Ronnie is that he was a sympathetic player -- they could communicate with each other. Keith and Brian had that early and Keith is always looking for that in his music and his personal life, imo.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 29, 2016 20:01

His Majesty
Koen

Look at pics by ROCKMAN on page 7. All taken at Redlands spring 1969. There are some more which aren't posted there anymore.

[www.iorr.org]

Great, thanks for the link! Do I also see Gram Parsons?

Date: July 29, 2016 20:03

Koen

Great, thanks for the link! Do I also see Gram Parsons?

The people shown are the stones (Mick sometimes with Gibson ES-330) minus Bill, Ry Cooder on strat and Jack Nitzsche on electric piano.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 29, 2016 20:28

the origins of my old jamming with edward album-

i used to play that record constantly.there was nothing special about it and i really didn't know much about ry back then but i really liked that record for some reason.

it seemed odd and awesome because it was basically the stones but with this odd guy playing guitar..and nicky on piano.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 30, 2016 02:08

Dave Mason played on Beggars Banquet. It's interesting that Ry described the Stones as "reptilian" after Jack Nitzsche brought him over to play with them. Jack was a hard a mother about making records as ever walked the earth, and came from a long background of making them with session players who didn't get well paid, were wiped, ghosted, treated badly, etc. Neil Young for one learned a lot from Jack on this subject. It's difficult to conceive that Ry expected different.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home