Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jagger's 1969 Costumes
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 15, 2009 09:33

For the longest time now I have tried to work out just what 1969 concerts are from the outfits Mick wore at the show.

Most shows Mick favoured the black trousers with the silver conchos up the side of the legs, accompanied by the black T - Shirt with the upside down Leo star sign glyph printed on it.
Accessorized with the Isadora Duncan style long flowing red scarves & the rather huge studded belt that made it's first appearance at Hyde Park in July 1969.

Topped off with the Uncle Sam Hat which seemed to have been jettisoned by the end of Jumping Jack Flash or Carol.
Sometimes the red scarf was dropped for a black, white & gold speckled scarf plus on the odd occasion he wore a light blue version of the Leo T - Shirt.
In one photo this blue T - Shirt is teamed with a long blue scarf, this is the only time I have seen the blue scarf.

But judging by a number of 1969 US Tour photo's Mick also sported a white shirt, similar to borrow a phrase from an episode of Seinfeld of "the puffy shirt" variety.

At the first concert of the tour on Ft Collins he wore white a T Shirt & a white tank top, with white trousers and the above mentioned speckled scarf tied around the waist.

Plus the rather large choker that was also featured at Hyde Park & which to me after seeing it in photographs for 40 years still looks highly uncomfortable to say the least. This choker didn't seem to make that many appearances at other shows on that 1969 tour.
Maybe apart from making him gag at regular intervals it left a nasty rash ;-)

No Ft Collins photos that I seen so far show Mick in any other top, so could "the puffy shirt" have been worn during the earlier part of the Ft Collins performance? All other photos showing Mick wearing "the puffy shirt" are teamed with the black trousers.

Photos showing Mick wearing "the puffy shirt" with white pants are from some of the shows performed at the Saville & Lyceum Theatres in London in late December 1969.

So I know it's a big ask 40 years on folks but are there any folks out there in "It's Only Rock 'N Roll " land that saw any of the 1969 shows & can still remember just what outfit Jagger wore at the show they attended?

So far I can safely say I know what outfit Jagger wore for at the Detroit 24th November gig & at least two of the three New York City shows.
The usual black trousers, black Leo T Shirt & red scarves.

Thanks for any help.
Maybe one day there will be a site like Harold Colson's excellent 1972 site that identifies shows by what Jagger & co by the clothes they wore.

Cheers,
ER

Re: Jagger's 1969 Costumes
Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: October 15, 2009 10:00

It's the letter Omega from the Greek alphabet, rather than an upside down Leo, isn't it?

I seem to remember a recent article about Mick where he says he still has it and his daughters borrowed it and other parts of his stage wardrobe, he referred to it as Omega...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 15, 2009 10:38

if it's a Leo glyph it's not upside-down - a right-side-up Leo glyph looks a lot like an omega

Date: October 15, 2009 10:55

Stargroves
It's the letter Omega from the Greek alphabet, rather than an upside down Leo, isn't it?

I seem to remember a recent article about Mick where he says he still has it and his daughters borrowed it and other parts of his stage wardrobe, he referred to it as Omega...

Stargroves
I've always known it as "an upside down Leo" sign.
Simply because in 1970 when I brought the The Rolling Stones Discover America " magazine (in a children's hospital of all places) on Page 22 Mick's costume is decribed as thus;

"Mick fiddles with his costume, too, sometimes in white, he most often wears black pants with silver buttons from waist to heel, a long crimson scarf, a studded belt and a black T-Shirt with the upside - down U glyph of Leo, his sun sign."

So could it be both?
Cheers,
ER

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 15, 2009 11:59

>> the upside - down U glyph of Leo, his sun sign." <<

but ... that means the Leo glyph looks like an upside-down U, not that the Leo glyph is upside-down.
the Leo glyph on Mick's 1969 shirt is right-side-up.

you can see a Leo symbol here: [en.wikipedia.org]
and although we all know what Mick's famous shirt looked like,
i'm always glad to post this beautiful shot:

- 1969 by Ethan Russell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 12:04 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2009 12:46

Clockwise from top LH - Fort Collins ... Miami ... Oakland ... New York 1969 - Ethan Russell

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 12:47 by Rockman.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: October 15, 2009 14:03

any chicago pics in that book, rockman?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 15, 2009 14:18

Is it just me, or does that Omega look like it is tilting to the right (Jagger's left) on his shirt?

Like a painting hanging crooked on the wall of your living room, that just bugs the crap out of me!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2009 14:34

any chicago pics in that book, rockman

Howdy 3DTeafoe long time no speak....Hope ya doin' fine

Gimmie a day or so and see what I can find for you ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 15, 2009 14:45

thanks Rockman.

Still a mystery :
1. What show did Jagger wear the "puffy shirt" - I'm guessing Ft Collins.
2. What show/s did Jagger wear the light blue version of the Leo T shirt - I'm also guessing perhaps early in the Tour, LA ??

Date: October 15, 2009 15:21

Seems like the orange/black shirt with the 'wings' off the sleeves was worn fro the last shows; the festival type concerts. Miami and Altamont. Any ideas what trousers he wore in Miami?
I love these kind of threads.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:24

....it's an Omega.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:55

Palace Revolution 2000
Seems like the orange/black shirt with the 'wings' off the sleeves was worn fro the last shows; the festival type concerts. Miami and Altamont. Any ideas what trousers he wore in Miami?
I love these kind of threads.

Miami, Altamont, & one of the London shows.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 15, 2009 23:26

Mick also wore a white shirt with the Omega.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 16, 2009 03:10

Costumes? Is it always Halloween or Mardi Gras with the Stones? I thought they were just 'stage clothes'.

Date: October 16, 2009 04:01

stonesrule
Mick also wore a white shirt with the Omega.

do you have a photo of this ? or written evidence ?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:20

The shirt design looks like That Girl's hair (Marlo Thomas)

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:24

J.J.Flash
The shirt design looks like That Girl's hair (Marlo Thomas)

LMAO

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:35

From the new Let It Bleed book, puffy shirt in Oakland

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:37

Eleanor Rigby
the black T - Shirt with the upside down Leo star sign glyph printed on it.

I always thought it was a horseshoe...

Date: October 16, 2009 05:07

Koen
Eleanor Rigby
the black T - Shirt with the upside down Leo star sign glyph printed on it.

I always thought it was a horseshoe...

yeah that would make sense...!?

Date: October 16, 2009 05:08

DrPete
From the new Let It Bleed book, puffy shirt in Oakland

Thanks! Is this in writing? Or is there a pic in this book?
Could you scan & post?

thanks

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:10

It's the LEO SIGN kids, what's wrong with you? Omega doesn't even look close to that...... do I have to straighten EVERYTHING out around here?!?!?!? I think so, I think I do.....

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:25

it the zodiac sign for leo, but looks somewhat like the capital letter omega in the Greek alphabet.
When asked at Altamont about his 'Omega' shirt (by a TV announcer who was talking to Jagger while he was in his trailer) Mick asked lightheartedly "do you mean the watches?" referring to the Omega wrist watches. Then he replied that he had thought it stood for infinity and the design reminded him of night-time hillside fires he saw when he was in Marrekesch.

Date: October 16, 2009 05:40

Mick wore the Miami/Altamont blue and red 'flaming arms' shirt on UK TV in December 1969 when the Stones performed "HTW" and "Gimme Shelter". He had the "omega' shirt on underneath and wore white pants.
Mick wore the "puffy white shirt" and the black, silver-studded pants when the Stones were on Ed Sullivan in November 1969 performing "Gimme Shelter" and the "flaming arms" shirt over a black button up shirt (still wearing the black silver-studded pants) for "Love In Vain" and "HTW".
The Pathe newsreel for at least one of the Lyceum shows held in London in December 1969 shows Mick wearing the black "omega" shirt and black pants (can't tell if they have studs or not...)
What a natty dresser!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 05:54 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:40

It says Oakland in his notes. Probably just the first show as pics from the second show the black shirt. There are several later in the book which MAY be Baltimore but it doesn't say for sure. Sorry, not savy enough to scan and post. There is a very common pic of Mick, Kieth (with a steel guitar), and Charlie and the puffy shirt.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:54

The Uncle Sam hat and the leo symbol is probably his best costume.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 16, 2009 06:20

I saw Jagger wear a white Omega T with my own eyes in late 1969

Date: October 16, 2009 06:32

I have seen photos of him wearing a light colored omega shirt

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 16, 2009 07:19

this thread had it all - puffy shirt, light omega, etc

[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home