Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
does keith smoke fake cigs?
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: August 1, 2009 23:30

i just played a show with gregg deckhart, former keyboard player for david gilmour, bad company and uriah heap, among others. an incredible force to perform with.

he was telling me in the early 80s he had dinner with keith richards a few times and said he couldn't believe how much of a business man keith seemed to be. he was expecting some lose rock and roll junkie, but he said even in casual table talk he conducted himself like a business professional.

gregg said he has watched keith over the years and is convinced when keith performs live the cigarettes he is 'smoking' are fake. he watched the beacon theatre show and said he is convinced they are fakes like the ones that are used in movies, because they look 'too good, the smoke is too perfect looking' it is like an effect to see him smoking.

he is convinced having hung out with keith, that he is just doing it to uphold the image.

interesting, i hadn't considered it.

any thoughts?

Re: does keith smoke fake cigs?
Date: August 1, 2009 23:34

Anyone who knows anything about the Stones knows Keith smokes fake menthol's, his Jack Daniels is iced tea, he wears a wig and Blondie plays all leads.

Get in the groove and let the good times roll.....

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: August 2, 2009 00:34

...and skull ring is sugar cake!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 2, 2009 00:35

What is a fake cigarette?
Candy? Chewing gum?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 2, 2009 00:52

HIs late years smoking is completely fake - in that respect Keith is ridicuosly fake. He has n't smoked and a bunch of other things lately.
Thank god for that, else he wouldn't be alive.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2009 01:09

That Loch Ness Monster is the master of fakin' it ..... Either that or the dude's good at goin' down for a mighty long time ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 2, 2009 01:37

Ah good to see, Keith smokes fake fags.

So explain the cackle that sounds like a bunch of chains dragged across the sea bed then?

Asthma?

Thought not....

What's next, Jagger don't like models and Ronnie prefers knitting???

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 2, 2009 04:31

So the fags are fake?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 2, 2009 04:41

Why would Keith be hanging out with some "former keyboard player for david gilmour, bad company and uriah heap"?

Date: August 2, 2009 05:48

Glam Descendant
Why would Keith be hanging out with some "former keyboard player for david gilmour, bad company and uriah heap"?

Haha, great post.
And - What is a fake fag? I mean, once it smokes, and it's in your mouth it's fag no matter how you look at it.

Date: August 2, 2009 07:12

I've suspected as much... still can't prove it though..

In my opinion the Keith druggie thing has been an act for a long time....

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: August 2, 2009 07:12

i guess he chummed around that circle, his wife was a percussionist who worked with all sorts of groups, including elton john... he just seemed to be in that circle of folks.

no doubt keith smokes... but onstage i could see them being fakes.

i mean most places don't allow smoking indoors anymore. that could be how he gets away with it.

Re: does Keith smoke fake cigs?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 2, 2009 07:51

the one he ate at the 02 was a blatant fake
but the ones he was smokin behind the lines looked real enough.

as for the "what is a fake cigarette that smokes" question:
Bill was endorsing one of those electronic cigarette-substitute devices last year -
they deliver nicotine and emit steam, and you can use them in nonsmoking areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 17:13 by with sssoul.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 2, 2009 08:49

he smokes. marlboros. c'mon guys has it really come to this? whether things that appear for film only are faked or not does not change his habits! is he entirely different than most fans presume- of course! will most get to see this side? not on your life!

OLDKR

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 2, 2009 13:27

Ahhhha - that explains it.
Micawber isn't that dinged up as it seems. it's all that chocolate goo from his fags.
a good washing and polishing would make the guitar look like brand new.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 2, 2009 13:28

And that big f*** off J he lit up at Paris Olympia fake? C'mon purlease?

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: August 2, 2009 13:36

Keith likes to embellish a good story - to be honest, I do too. Makes for better telling. So what if most of the time everyone knows it's not the absolute truth. Folks are having a better time, than from a dry recital of facts. And he does play up his image; he's a performer, all about image. But I don't think Keith is a phoney.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 13:37 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 13:50

I recently started using the electronic cig; I smoke it in the morning and have decreased the number of the tobacco cig.
It works and recommend it if you want to smoke less.

Posted by: Little Blue Boy ()
Date: August 2, 2009 15:21

Actually; At the Paradiso concert I did offer him my pack of Marlboro's and he smoked from it the whole concert. I never got it back...*&*(^*&&^.

You can see it lying in front of Charlie's drum kit on the cover of Stripped!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 2, 2009 15:29

Smoking onstage is illegal at the O2 and other UK venues - there were mutterings about Keith being prosecuted for lighting up at Glasgow in 2006. No idea whether his ciggie was real the first night at the O2, but there were certainly more rumblings about prosecution and fines, for the O2 as well as for Keith. So on the second night people were waiting to see whether he would meekly obey the ban ... he lit up, then claimed it was a fake cotton-wool one ( "I hate that shit!" ) and chucked it away after a couple of puffs. And then the third night, he ate it (so what was that one made of?) I remember thinking that by the time Authority got round to deciding whether or not a cotton-wool cigarette was illegal smoking or just a breach of the fire regulations, the Stones would be long gone.

It got into all the papers - which was probably the idea. And Keith managed to appear to defy the ban (he got a BIG cheer) while probably doing nothing technically illegal. Very clever. Whether he smokes the fake cigs when the law is on his side, I haven't a clue.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 2, 2009 15:41

Fake cigarettes? Oh come on, now! He's a 65-year-old man and surely beyond such gimmicks.

Actually, he hasn't seemed to smoke on-stage with such frequency in recent years. IMO, that makes the idea of 'fake-cigarettes' even less likely.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 15:43

When I saw the show in Singapore, where smoking is strictly forbidden, before Slippin away, Keith was brought an ash-tray. He lighted up a cig, smoked 2-3 puffs and estinguished in the ash-tray, saying something about the Singapore rules, I can't remember now. I think he was fined and the day after he was oin first page on the Singaporean newspaper with his cig in his hand. I must have this newspaper somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 15:44 by straycat58.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 2, 2009 16:23

During micks band introductions at the final o2 gig, I clearly saw Keith and Ronnie smoking behind Keiths amplifiers like a pair of naughty schoolboys.

I have no doubt that he still smokes.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 2, 2009 16:55

I thought the whole smoking-at-the-O2 thing was rather funny. I think the joke was lost on some journalists who reported that it was a botched attempt at rebellion, when, imo, rebelling probably hadn't been in their thoughts at all.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:10

Green Lady

Green Lady, this is... my snap! One of the few good shots of Keith that I got that night. Cool to see that you thought it worth hanging onto - seeing it pop up on IORR again makes me feel like I've joined the ranks of rock photography!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:20

You can actually spot the chocolate inside. I never figured out how he gets the smoke out of 'em though.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:20

Oops! Thanks SomeTorontoGirl for a great shot - I'll fix its name so next time I can give you the proper credit. I know how you feel because this one of mine turned up unexpectedly on the artwork of an IOW show boot:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 17:21 by Green Lady.

Date: August 2, 2009 17:33

Hey, no offence taken, Green Lady, I'm just kinda pleased it was thought to be worth keeping, with the millions of other pics in existence, But I hadn't seen yours before - wow! That's one I'd have been pleased to get, A good shot of Charlie, hiding behind that kit, eluded me over 3 nights. I'll hang on to that one, thank you!

Date: August 2, 2009 17:49

In somewhat unrelated news, Canuck legend Stompin' Tom Connors may stop touring because of anti-smoking laws, says “If anything makes me stop touring, it’ll be that,” Connors told The Canadian Press over the phone from his home in Halton Hills, Ont. “I can’t smoke in a hotel, and I can’t go to a restaurant ‘cause I can’t smoke there, and you can’t smoke in the venues ... and I don’t know what the hell is going on and I’m a chain smoker so it’s gonna drive me mad,” said Connors, before adding that he smokes about 108 cigarettes a day.

[www.torontosun.com]

Tobacco is a nasty weed,
T'was the devil sowed the seed.
It robs your pockets, stinks your clothes,
and makes a smokestack out of your nose.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 2, 2009 17:55

if they're fake, then he doesn't smoke 'em.

He burns 'em.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-02 19:54 by camper88.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home