Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones' Guitar Up For Auction
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 18, 2009 02:51

Anyone have a good pic of this guitar?

Brian Jones' guitar up for auction
Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 10:10

A guitar once owned by Cheltenham-born Rolling Stone Brian Jones is expected to fetch up to £50,000 at auction.

The guitar – a Harmony Stratotone – was used by Jones on stage and also on the Rolling Stones's first single, Come On/I Want To Be Loved.

It was given to Jones by his close friend and one-time flatmate Richard "Dick" Hattrell, from Chelten- ham.

More recently, the guitar was on display at the Brian Jones Museum in Cheltenham.

It was in Cheltenham that Jones and Hattrell first met, in 1961, at a Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen concert at the Rotunda.

Auctioneers Christie's South Kensington, in London, where the guitar will be auctioned, said: "The pair immediately hit it off through their passion for music and they remained friends throughout the formative years of the Rolling Stones."

Jones continued using his Harmony guitar until the late summer of 1963, when he "retired" the instrument.

There is a photograph, to be sold with the guitar, of Jones playing the guitar at a Stones gig at the Marquee Club in Oxford Street, London, in 1963.

Just six years later Jones was dead, at the age of 27, when he drowned in the swimming pool at his Sussex home.

The guitar will be auctioned on July 1.

[www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk]

Re: Brian Jones' Guitar Up For Auction
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:34

Edith Grove
The guitar – a Harmony Stratotone – was used by Jones on stage and also on the Rolling Stones's first single, Come On/I Want To Be Loved.

Jones does not play guitar on Come On and I Want To Be Loved, and for the second studio session he already had his Gretsch.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 18, 2009 18:05

Mathijs

Jones does not play guitar on Come On and I Want To Be Loved....

Mathijs

That seems to be the case, but it's always possible he played on earlier takes and/or for whatever reason they decided not to include his guitar parts.

There are photos of him playing the stratotone at the first Olympic Studios which is supposedly meant to be from the session for Come On/I Wan To Be Loved.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 18, 2009 22:55

Theres definately pics of him in the studio with this guitar -maybe someone can post some?

Date: June 19, 2009 03:24

His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

That seems to be the case, but it's always possible he played on earlier takes and/or for whatever reason they decided not to include his guitar parts.

There are photos of him playing the stratotone at the first Olympic Studios which is supposedly meant to be from the session for Come On/I Wan To Be Loved.

Of course, but the claim is he played on the single. So the guitar you buy is actually played by Brian on the single.

Well, no it's not.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 23:15 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 19, 2009 03:42

Most of us have seen this pic. Could this be the guitar?

Found on this site: [www.guitarhucksters.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 19, 2009 04:07

I believe so. Theres some pics in David Daltons book showing The Stones in the studio with Brian using this guitar.

Posted by: kleenex ()
Date: June 19, 2009 14:20

Mathijs
His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

Of course, but the claim is he played on the single. So the guitar you buy is actually played by Brian on the single.

Well, no it's not.

"I was pissing in the toilet next to the room where they recorded Strawberry Fields" still doesn't count.

Mathijs (presumably you are related to Johnny),you are a prick

Date: June 19, 2009 23:18

kleenex
Mathijs
His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

Well, no it's not.

"I was pissing in the toilet next to the room where they recorded Strawberry Fields" still doesn't count.

Mathijs (presumably you are related to Johnny),you are a prick

Who is Johnny?

Mathijs

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: June 28, 2009 12:59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home