Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
30th Anniversary of The New Barbarians Tour: Share Your Memories
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 25, 2009 16:10

Tour began at Cobo Arena in Detroit on April 24, 1979. Did you see them? Where? What are your memories?

Re: 30th Anniversary of The New Barbarians Tour: Share Your Memories
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: April 25, 2009 16:17

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-12 13:43 by UrbanSteel.

Date: April 25, 2009 16:33

I saw them at Madison Square Garden, May 7, 1979. I remember seeing a small newspaper article about the upcoming concert on April 13 (I had heard nothing about it on the radio) and it said that tickets were now on sale. I drove to my usual Ticket-tron location, inside a Long Island department store where RIOTS used to take place when Zeppelin tickets would go on sale. But for some reason, this particular Ticket-tron wasn't selling any New Barbarians tickets. I was told to go to another Ticket-tron, located inside a small clothing boutique in the nearby town of Great Neck. When I walked in, the whole thing made no sense to me. Why would there possibly be a Ticket-tron in a place like this? But they had one. And they did have New Barbarians tickets. They were in the last row of what used to be the blue seats; section 444, the last row in the uppermost level at the far end of the arena; as far away fron the stage as you could get.

I was thrilled! I owned a really good pair of binoculars!

Date: April 25, 2009 16:44

To prepare for the concert, I had to acquire a copy of Gimmie Some Neck, which was released on April 20. I heard ads for the album on the radio, and what I remember about those ads, is the voiceover, done by a guy with a phony English accent, talking about the album as if it were a DRUG that you HAD to have. "Demand it from your dealer!" he said.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 25, 2009 17:44

Saw the LA show....Drove out from (Tempe, AZ), my junior year at ASU. Went out with a bunch of other Sun Devil crazies...The WILD BUNCH...we were, indeed packing...woulda made HST proud! Got in a fender bender on the way to the gig, with about 6 other cars..I was ready to hitch to the show, but everyone was cool, and we all traded insurance info, and were on our way. Made it to the show with time to spare. Great seats, dead center about 10 rows back from the state. Everyone was expecting all these special guests, but we did get Billy Preston..but no MJ, or the other Stones. Still a great time.

JR

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 25, 2009 17:49

I saw them in ft Worth(there is a pretty good Aud cd release of this). While there are some better SBs out there they dont rival this show as far as the power of the band. The guys were up and at em for this show. POWERFUL. Lots of surprises for me when Keith did his nos! And Stanleys bass jam on "Groovin You" blew me away. Some of my friends were bitchin cause "special guests" didnt show.The local radio spot MADE it sound like Jagger and/or Dylan would show but I was very satisfied and "HAPPY"! I also heard the Houston show was a blast(theres a tape of it but I havent heard it).The guys always seem to have a good time in Texas with the exception of 97! Of course the ounce of HASH I scored right before this show might have affected my perception!LOL

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 25, 2009 18:07

Scott there is indeed a good aud tape of the Fort Worth show. Unfortunately the CD "Meat Is murder" runs too fast (about 4% IIRC) and therefore spoils the fun a little bit. Maybe a torrent with the afternoon rehearsals will do... winking smiley

Date: April 25, 2009 18:11

Theres a tape of the afternoon rehearsals??!!!!! Can you do a trade?

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 25, 2009 18:12

Saw them at the Los Angeles Inglewood Forum show. We kept expecting "special guests" aka Jagger, who never materialized. The expectation was greater for this show since it was L.A., but what are you gonna do? What I really remember from this show is the sound mix and how loud it was. Ziggy Modeliste's drums were especially way overmodulated, and were frankly a distracton. At the expense of seeming blasphemous, Ron Wood's vocals at 11 on a scale of 1-10, competing with those drums, are not something that should be heard by anyone who would rather not bleed from the ears. Overall though it was an okay show, but I haven't been disappointed there's not been a reprise of that tour.

Date: April 25, 2009 18:34

stone-relics
Saw the LA show....Drove out from (Tempe, AZ), my junior year at ASU. Went out with a bunch of other Sun Devil crazies...The WILD BUNCH...we were, indeed packing...woulda made HST proud! Got in a fender bender on the way to the gig, with about 6 other cars..I was ready to hitch to the show, but everyone was cool, and we all traded insurance info, and were on our way. Made it to the show with time to spare. Great seats, dead center about 10 rows back from the state. Everyone was expecting all these special guests, but we did get Billy Preston..but no MJ, or the other Stones. Still a great time.

JR

Regarding surprise guests, the crowd at MSG really EXPECTED them to be there. We figured if anything spectcular was going to happen, it was going to happen at Madison Square Garden. When it didn't, and the show was over, the crowd in front of the stage REFUSED to leave. Even 10 minutes after the lights were turned on, they kept standing there, expecting, demanding, to see The Rolling Stones .... or SOMEBODY.

Date: April 25, 2009 18:54

scottkeef
Lots of surprises for me when Keith did his nos! And Stanleys bass jam on "Groovin You" blew me away.

Yeah, that was what made this show so appealing. No one had ever seen Keith do more than one song before, let alone several songs and Happy not even among them. I was also really excited about seeing Stanley. School Days was on the turntable at every party I went to when I was in high school. One of my favourite albums. By the time he did his three-minute solo on Am I Groovin You, I was drunk out of mind, and, at the time, it seemed like the most incredible thing I had ever heard.

Date: April 25, 2009 19:06

Long John Stoner
Saw them at the Los Angeles Inglewood Forum show. We kept expecting "special guests" aka Jagger, who never materialized. The expectation was greater for this show since it was L.A., but what are you gonna do? What I really remember from this show is the sound mix and how loud it was. Ziggy Modeliste's drums were especially way overmodulated, and were frankly a distracton. At the expense of seeming blasphemous, Ron Wood's vocals at 11 on a scale of 1-10, competing with those drums, are not something that should be heard by anyone who would rather not bleed from the ears. Overall though it was an okay show, but I haven't been disappointed there's not been a reprise of that tour.

I only just recently heard the Buried Alive CD for the first time and was horrified at how bad Ronnie's voice sounds. Keith sang better than he sings today, but that's not saying much. Weird to think MAC had the best voice of anyone in the band! Sound mix was unbelievably MUDDY, but that's the Stones. Ya-Ya's sounds muddy, too. Mac released an album that same year, Troublemaker, which provides the best representation of how The New Barbarians actually SOUNDED on stage; a much better representaion than you hear on Gimmie Some Neck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-25 19:09 by tatters.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 25, 2009 19:25

Mac is a KILLER singer.

JR

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 25, 2009 20:13

Scott : yes there's one and no I don't have it. I honestly thought it was very very common. I truly hope someone else can help you thumbs up

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: April 25, 2009 21:04

There is a 2 song soundcheck from Milwaukee posted by a kind IORR-er here not long ago (5-6 minutes). I am unable to post but perhaps someone else can do so.

Unfortunately there are no circulating tapes of afternoon NBs rehearsals from Texas (Houston or FT Worth). I would LOVE to be proved wrong on this however!!

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: April 25, 2009 21:23

I was at the MSG show back in 1979!! A good time!
I heard that Woody might release this MSG show on his label.
Anyone else hear anything about it??
Thanx!

Date: April 25, 2009 21:42

Theres a boot of the MSG sb thats part of the 4 cd set "Barbed Wire Vol 2" that has Knebworth SB and rehearsals too. Its missing a few songs but the quality is actually pretty good!

I wish the boys would put together a "reunion Barbarians tour"(even if it was just a few select dates). Isnt everyone still alive from this line up or am I mistaken?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-25 21:45 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 25, 2009 21:50

<<I heard that Woody might release this MSG show on his label.
Anyone else hear anything about it??>>

That was about a year ago, wasn't it? Maybe that project fell to the ground when his stepson stopped as manager.

Posted by: django ()
Date: April 25, 2009 22:49

Doctor Dear!
Anyone else hear anything about it??
Thanx!

Didn't he release this one instead:

[www.amazon.de]

Date: April 25, 2009 23:08

That was the first one released, then the Kilburn 74 dvcd/cd but there was a posting on Wooden Records about the MSG show being released after that.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2009 23:10

How many soundboards exist from NB tour? Only Largo?

Posted by: django ()
Date: April 25, 2009 23:37

JumpinJeppeFlash
How many soundboards exist from NB tour? Only Largo?

The Culver City rehearsals are available on bootleg.

From Nico's site:

ca. 13th - 19th April: THE NEW BARBARIANS. Culver City, California, MGM
Studios. Another week of rehearsals on a soundstage.
Session from 13th April (without KR):
- Lost And Lonely (RW) 6.34
- Seven Days 1 (Bob Dylan) 2.11
- Seven Days 2 (Bob Dylan) 4.38
- Breathe On Me 1 (RW) 0.51
- Breathe On Me 2 (RW) 4.06
- Breathe On Me 3 (RW) 2.27
- Buried Alive (RW) 2.59
- I Can Feel The Fire 1 (RW) 3.30
- I Can Feel The Fire 2 (RW) 4.22
- I Can Feel The Fire 3 (RW) 0.27
- I Can Feel The Fire 4 (RW) 0.13
- I Can Feel The Fire 5 (RW) 0.54
- I Can Feel The Fire 6 (RW) 3.19
- Am I Grooving You (Bert Russell/Jeff Barry)
- Ain’t That Loving You Baby (Jimmy Reed) 10.50
- Lost And Lonely (RW) -reprise
Another later session:
(Lost And Lonely/I Can Feel The Fire 1/I Can Feel The Fire 2/Let’s Go Steady 1/
Let’s Go Steady 2/Worried Life Blues/Hello Africa)
Note: 'Hello Africa' was written by Eddy Grant and incorporates motifs from
the instrumental Skokiaan (composer: August Musarurwa). Times are
approximate

Date: April 26, 2009 00:57

Doctor Dear!

I remember thinking how cool it was to be seeing Keith in the same building in which Ya-Ya's was recorded and Gimme Shelter was filmed. Even in 1979, the events of 1969 seemed like ancient history. It's funny now to see how YOUNG Keith looked in '79. I was 19 then, so Keith, at 35, seemed like an old man to me at the time!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 26, 2009 01:05

<<How many soundboards exist from NB tour? Only Largo?>>

I recall three other than LArgo. MSG as mentioned above. There's Oakland, but soundwise not much to talk about.
Then there's a sbd portion of the Cincinnati show. It's missing the last few songs. Pretty good sound, and a damn fine performance.

Date: April 26, 2009 01:19

Knebworth Fair(partial from video), San Diego( same), the Cinn SB was released as a partial by Swinging Pig falsely identifying it as LA. I have the Cinn SB on two discs-I need to go back and see how many songs its short. I know Sweet Little R n Roller is joined in progress.

I would love to hear the Houston tape-I dont know what the quality is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-26 01:20 by scottkeef.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 26, 2009 07:11

I went to the Cap Centre show that's been commonly bootlegged and recently released. It was pretty good, but nothing special. Nobody could sing, and the jams were somewhat sloppy. No guests showed up.

My greatest memory of the show was seeing my homeboy, Bobalouie, on the way out of the arena and asking him what he thought of his first Stones-related show. Bob let out this demonic cackle of a laugh and blurted out, "F-cking Keef, MAN!" No further commentary necessary.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: April 26, 2009 09:05

I was present at all 19 shows Oshawa to San Diego, April 22 to May 22.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: April 26, 2009 09:29

Overrated

Date: April 26, 2009 18:18

For someone that doesnt understand.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 26, 2009 18:39

Well, not EVERYTHING they touch turns to gold. This tour, at least the L.A. show I saw, wasn't all that great.

Huh. This was supposed to be in response to scottkeef's post about not understanding.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-26 18:41 by Long John Stoner.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home