Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Before They Make Me Run
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 30, 2016 18:56

Rockman
It might seem like a low-down joke 'onkeyTonk but fink about it ....

I'm really curious though. I find it odd that someone's voice could deepen that dramatically at age 33 or 34, which is around the same time he allegedly got off heroin. Coincidence? Or maybe the huge amounts of coke he was reportedly doing caught up to him?

Date: May 1, 2016 21:43

OK - maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but the dramatic change in Keith's live vocals in 1978 always intrigued me. Maybe getting off heroin had nothing to do with it. I know he was still doing loads of coke, which ain't exactly good for the voice. I just find it odd that someone can have such a high, pure singing voice that doesn't deepen until age 34. Having grown up on those classic Keith backing vocals ala Exile and Ya Ya's, I was shocked to hear how he sounded at my first show in 1978!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 2, 2016 11:36

HonkeyTonkFlash
OK - maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but the dramatic change in Keith's live vocals in 1978 always intrigued me. Maybe getting off heroin had nothing to do with it. I know he was still doing loads of coke, which ain't exactly good for the voice. I just find it odd that someone can have such a high, pure singing voice that doesn't deepen until age 34. Having grown up on those classic Keith backing vocals ala Exile and Ya Ya's, I was shocked to hear how he sounded at my first show in 1978!

is it possible he just changed the octaves he sings in? i mean, when mick sings in falsetto is doesn't mean his voice "changed". i realize keith wasn't singing falsetto, but still... doesn't seem as mysterious as some make it sound.

Date: May 2, 2016 12:21

I can't hear the change before on All About You. BTMMR is as nasal and high-pitched as Happy to my ears.

On AAY the gravel and tar-voiced Keith enters. Beautifully, in its own way, imo.

Date: May 2, 2016 17:06

DandelionPowderman
I can't hear the change before on All About You. BTMMR is as nasal and high-pitched as Happy to my ears.

On AAY the gravel and tar-voiced Keith enters. Beautifully, in its own way, imo.

Yeah, the change I'm talking about is heard more onstage starting in 1978. Compare Happy on Love You Live to the way he sounded in 1978. I honestly think maybe he was just partying too hard, lol. To me his voice seemed very ragged in 1978 and 1981, but sort of smoothed out by the 1989 tour, although it was still deeper in timbre than it used to be.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 2, 2016 17:10

A lovely and propulsive Keith song. In someways mimics Happy with the instantly identifiable opening riff that is very bright. Some fantastic lyrics round this out to be a wonderful country styled rocker. One of Keith's finest.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 2, 2016 17:26

Energetic, upbeat, rocking...I'd say even uplifting and one of my favorite Stones tunes (and favorites on Some Girls LP).

Also good to wake up to on a Monday morning when you're feeling you don't feel like getting up for work...changes your attitude with it's lyrical perspective, pumped up with that musical energy.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home