Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Before They Make Me Run
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: September 4, 2015 10:16

tomk
Don't forget Wood's great licks on the B-bender.

Yes, Woody´s playing is wonderful, especially the pedal steel during the bridge on the Studio Version and his licks during the outro.

Date: September 4, 2015 10:24

RockingLonestar
olorin
Strange it was never released on any live album !

What about Sweet Summer Sun - Live In Hyde Park

As well as on Buried Alive (The New Barbarians).

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:18

farawayeyes2
alimente
hot stuff

Keith voice in Before they make me run has always intrugued me.
thin, high-pitched, nasal.
its even TOO thin and TOO high-pitched for 1978. If you listen to keith singing during 78 usa tour, his voice had already changed. lower, i'd say broken. maybe Keith lost that typical 1969-1977 timbre just while recording some girls.
)
Old post but cool subject so..
First GREAT song, but has never worked live because of the voice change.

From 1975-81 Keith sounded a lot better in the studio than on stage, 1978 was the turning point for everything for him. His whole look and demeanor change drastically (for the worse imho) between 1978 and 1979.

As far as live, the last time Keith really sounded high pitched and (to my ears) consistently good on stage was at the First Barbarians concerts in 1974. In 1975-78 he would shout a lot somewhat gruffly, but he still could sing higher when he was quieter. For example on the 1978 tour with Far Away Eyes he is hitting some notes I can't even imagine him hitting by the New Barbarians tour, and absolutely not by the 1981 tour.

Go to the studio and through 1978 he sounds very,clear for the most part. As late as "We Had It All" in 1979 he's got the old sound which I greatly prefer. Yet that seems to be an anomaly, generally I start hearing the gruffness enter for good in 1979 with All About You, and Let's Go Steady. Now I believe he recorded the demo vocal of Little T&A in 1979 and the final vocal in 1980? I for one hear a difference even between these two as he sounds worse on the final one to me.

Why the fast decline? I think when he smashed his nose in at the Fall 1978 sessions (look how different he looks and sounds on SNL 1978 compared to the tour), it messed his voice up worse than it already was getting. I mean the 1978 promo vids with live vocals he looks and sounds like a different man than the one you see less than a year later with the New Barbarians. Had he quit all bad habits then I bet he could have saved his face and voice. By the 1981 tour there wasn't a trace of the old Keith left, and I guess the Undercover sessions would be the first where you basically can't hear any of the old voice at all. By 1982 it was too late for the face or the voice.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2015 20:08

mikeeder
Why the fast decline? I think when he smashed his nose in at the Fall 1978 sessions (look how different he looks and sounds on SNL 1978 compared to the tour), it messed his voice up worse than it already was getting.

You seem unaware that Keith was replaced. Click below to learn what happened.

[doppels.proboards.com]

Drew

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 19, 2015 20:30

A Stones classic imo and one reason why the Some Girls album is great. I dig Keith's nasal vocals. The guitars by Keith and Ronnie are great as usual.

The lyrics, what can you say...they are simply Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-19 23:00 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 19, 2015 21:39

The change between 1980 and 1981 is due to his medicine. No more smack in 1981 but lots of booze and probably even more coke.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: September 22, 2015 16:10

Funny some people really think there are doubles and crap like that! Still those changes his voice and face went through is such a short time were brutal. I can see how someone nutty can run with it. It was always a joke to me that it was a fake Keith after the Some Girls tour, but man those quacks who really think so. Did one call him a reptilian shape changer? I just am learning people think there are such things this past week. How insane.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: February 18, 2016 17:08

olorin

There is a live version from Paris 2003 on a single

Big T

Date: February 18, 2016 17:12

JustinCaseBandDK
olorin

There is a live version from Paris 2003 on a single

It was released on Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park Live

Also on The New Barbarians's «Buried Alive».

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:11

One of my favorite Rolling Stones songs. It's from the heart, warts and all.

Date: February 19, 2016 00:45

I like the New Barbarians-version the most. The one with the triple intro (Buried Alive).

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 01:02

DandelionPowderman
I like the New Barbarians-version the most. The one with the triple intro (Buried Alive).

Well, you gotta choose your medicine

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 19, 2016 01:11

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well.". Straight heroin talk, I've pulled more than one drowning rockstar out of the toilet after a puke party and believe me they were having the time of their lives, head first in the bowl. Very glamorous but BTMMR is not so glamorous. Friends dying, it's all true. I've read here the song was actually written by Mick for Keith. Last song Keith wrote by himself has been reported here to be "Happy". Is that true?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 01:14 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 19, 2016 01:42

great on some girls and barbarians live,
but ridiculous with cheezy horn section and backing vocals,
kills the whole vibe of the song.

not as embarrassing as vegas T&A though.

Date: February 19, 2016 01:52

Huh, never heard it before... winking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2016 06:23

The ultimate Keith track ... better than Happy, that says it all!

Date: February 19, 2016 08:49

DoomandGloom
"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well.". Straight heroin talk, I've pulled more than one drowning rockstar out of the toilet after a puke party and believe me they were having the time of their lives, head first in the bowl. Very glamorous but BTMMR is not so glamorous. Friends dying, it's all true. I've read here the song was actually written by Mick for Keith. Last song Keith wrote by himself has been reported here to be "Happy". Is that true?

Not true. Mick said that BTMMR was the FIRST song Keith wrote by himself since Happy. So it's the other way around smiling smiley

Date: February 19, 2016 10:57

Just love that intro...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 29, 2016 01:47

Listen to this live version with Ronnie high in mixer.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 29, 2016 20:05

Slick
great on some girls and barbarians live,
but ridiculous with cheezy horn section and backing vocals,
kills the whole vibe of the song.

not as embarrassing as vegas T&A though.

thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 29, 2016 20:40

not a fan of this song, its well overrated judging by reactions on here. average at best but dosent really do anything for me.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 29, 2016 21:05

Great song, but I kind of agree with those who say the studio vocal is a bit high and whiny. Surprised he didn't do this one in 1978 instead of Happy again. I like the way he sings it live, but musically I prefer the studio version. And yes, Little T & A was an embarrassment on the 2006 tour, with the horns, etc, and Keith barely playing his guitar. He nailed that one in 1981, though!

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: April 29, 2016 22:16

Testify
[www.youtube.com]

Comparing this to the one DP posted of New Barbarians in -79 you might say some things have changed when it comes to the guitarplaying in this song.... I like Ronnies playing on this one. It`s clear that it is him who runs the song nowadays....

Date: April 29, 2016 23:10

Pondering this thread makes me wonder about something I've never seen discussed much - the change in Keith's voice around 1978 or so. It really deepened dramatically. I wonder if getting off heroin had something to do with it? Just curious to hear the observations of others.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 29, 2016 23:56

I fink it had something to do with Keef's decision to not wear underpants anymore ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 30, 2016 00:09

Rockman
I fink it had something to do with Keef's decision to not wear underpants anymore ....

Ha Ha!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2016 01:02

It might seem like a low-down joke 'onkeyTonk but fink about it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 30, 2016 02:18

gibsonman
Testify
[www.youtube.com]

Comparing this to the one DP posted of New Barbarians in -79 you might say some things have changed when it comes to the guitarplaying in this song.... I like Ronnies playing on this one. It`s clear that it is him who runs the song nowadays....
I love the sound of Ronnie's guitar in this song.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 30, 2016 02:38

I want this and You Got the Silver played at my memorial service.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: April 30, 2016 13:02

it's an open G thing. fiddle around long enough in that tuning and you will play BTMMR..

actually...it's a cousin of wild horses..chord wise.

Keith really made that tuning his own...you can't ever get that with standard tuning

..And it helps to be the king of rythm.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home