Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: May 6, 2007 06:29

As requested by Chas44 for his boy's birthday

Date : January 20 2006
Venue : Madison Square Garden , NyC ,NY
Quality : 8.5-9/10-VG Aud. Rec.
Info from IORR:
Review by Ron Blank
New York City on Friday, 20th January was nothing like it was just two days ago. It was sunny and bright with warm temperatures. It's spring! Of course, as soon as the Stones depart it will probably get cooler and wetter again.
Wednesday's show had been spectacular, with the added bonuses of Love is Strong and Worried About You being thrown into the mix. I couldn't wait to hear if tonight we would hear Sway for just the second time on the tour.

The backups Metric took a lot of criticism in some circles for their performance on Wednesday. So I decided to miss them tonight, save my ears and attend a pre-show VIP party instead for Fan Asylum. Even though the drinks and food were good, it was a tad low-key, so as soon as it was finished at 8 PM, I headed downstairs to the floor in the Gardens with some new friends to find out whom else we could see on the ramp between the two floor sections. There were two 'Rattlesnake Inn' VIP parties going on under both sets of stands, and if you were patient, you could see a lot of New York City's beautiful people wandering between the two events. It was a great place to see them, but I didn't see any VVIPs (Very, Very Important People). There were lots that probably did modeling as a primary career but no movie stars or sports heroes. Perhaps I turned up at the wrong moment, or their disguises were too effective! Later on during the show, we did spot Martin Scorsese standing behind Charlie backstage. John Lithgow, the actor, was also standing in the first row of section 4.

Wednesday's concert didn't start until 9:40, so I silently hoped they would begin a little earlier tonight as I had an early morning plane to catch to Chicago via Atlanta. So it was with some trepidation that I felt when the MSG houselights finally went out at 9: 38 PM.

Immediately we were overwhelmed by the extremely loud video introduction. Sitting in the 3rd Section 5th row with my Fan Asylum ticket, I could tell this was going to be very, very close! As soon as the taped intro section was over we could see the band through the screen. The roadies lifted it up, Keith strode through and then hit the first chords of Jumping Jack Flash. Is there truly any better song to start a concert? The rest of the group formed up quickly in their usual places and then out of the back strides Mick singing "I was born..." The crowd gets even louder and the show is off.

IORR was inserted into the show before Let's Spend the Night Together. It was a great Chuck Berry-fest of guitars that went on and on. After LSTNT, Oh No Not You Again came fourth and it was just as great as on Wednesday.

The big surprise of the evening came next when Mick said they were going to do a song they had only ever done once live. It was Sway! The crowd were ecstatic, and if Columbus was a bit lukewarm to it as some reports have stated, that was certainly not the case at MSG. Ronnie's solo was exquisite and I felt chills up and down my back as I finally heard it performed live. At the end, the gleam in Mick's eye told us everything about how he thought it went!

As Tears Go By was then played. The twin guitars, played while sitting on stools, while Mick crooned the words were wonderful.

Then we had the new single Rain Fall Down. It was followed by another surprise. Ain't Too Proud to Beg! Wow! We were roaring out all the words and Keith's solo was perfect. What a treat to hear!

We had two more surprises in the setlist tonight. Start Me Up was inserted into the B-Stage second spot, replacing Rough Justice. The second song after they got back to the mainstage, instead of Start Me Up, was Paint it Black! Wonderful choices tonight Chuck and Mick! Ronnie's sitar sound was singing out pure and clean and Keith was nodding to him in acknowledgement. Charlie's drums kept pounding and they took it to a beautiful high climax.

If I had to be pinned down, I would say that Wednesday's show was the dress rehearsal for tonight. The pure energy in the Garden, the band's interplay and weaving throughout, complimented by Mick's incredible singing and youthful energy were real treats. He also brought Lisa out on the runway between the crowd during Gimme Shelter and they really seemed to be pulling out all the stops for this one. It just felt that we had reached another plane above what I had thought was one of the top 5 shows that I had ever seen on Wednesday! How do they do it?

Mick dispelled any rumours about this being the last time at MSG early on, when he said that they would be back. In his words, they were not going to be pulling a Messier and hanging it up! (Mark Messier retired as the Captain of the New York Rangers NHL hockey team on 12 Jan) That certainly got a roar of appreciation from the crowd.

It has been an incredible two concerts at the world's most famous arena. It's now on to Chicago in the morning, and to wait until Monday when the band hits the stage of the United Center. Can they top what they did here tonight? Let's see.

Download:
Intro
[www.megaupload.com]
JJFlash
[www.megaupload.com]
It's Only Rock N Roll
[www.megaupload.com]
Let's Spend The Night Together
[www.megaupload.com]
Oh No ,. Not You Again
[www.megaupload.com]
Sway
[www.megaupload.com]
As Tears Go By
[www.megaupload.com]
Rain Fall Down
[www.megaupload.com]
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
[www.megaupload.com]
Gimme Shelter
[www.megaupload.com]
Tumbling Dice
[www.megaupload.com]
Introductions
[www.megaupload.com]
This Place Is Empty
[www.megaupload.com]
Happy
[www.megaupload.com]
Miss You
[www.megaupload.com]
Start Me Up
[www.megaupload.com]
Get Off Of My Cloud
[www.megaupload.com]
Honky Tonk Women
[www.megaupload.com]
Sympathy For The Devil
[www.megaupload.com]
Paint It Black
[www.megaupload.com]
Brown Sugar
[www.megaupload.com]
YCAGWYW
[www.megaupload.com]
Satisfaction
[www.megaupload.com]

Artwork:
Front
[www.megaupload.com]
Back
[www.megaupload.com]

more tracka are coming tomorrow.

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-06 20:33 by monkeyman07.

Re: Post : Hootin And Hollerin (MSG , NYC , NY 01-20-2006)
Posted by: Chas44 ()
Date: May 6, 2007 15:25

AHHHH - Thanks so Monkeyman for your time and effort!!

I as well as my son will truley enjoy this show once again.

Re: Post : Hootin And Hollerin (MSG , NYC , NY 01-20-2006)
Posted by: robbiebobbob ()
Date: January 23, 2010 22:49

Heres one I missed - thanks monkeyman for keeping the links alive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home