Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How to fix broken rar files
Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: April 18, 2015 10:39

Downloaded rar files sometimes can't be extracted.
In almost all cases it is because of a checksum error.
This can be fixed by one click on this file to open the winrar menu.
Next click [Tools] and [Repair archive]
Job done.

When it is part of a couple of links, go to the folder where the parts are, trash the Original folder and rename the repaired part the same way the Original part was called.

In other cases when it is not the checksum error moste a new download will be the solution.

Ofcourse there Always is the possibility the link itself is not correct.
Uploadings overnight (like I use to do) windows updated causes problems while the computer restarts be itself after a couple of minutes while parts were not uploaded completely.

This happens occasionally,

At this time there are 5,946 download links in Stonesvault.
Maybe 5 or 6 cases are known to me where windows update played parts in broken links.
This is about 0.005%
Mostly I will be warned the next day by downloaders and check if this is the case.

Can you imagine that when people complain about a broken link wich was uploaded for a long time, my first suggestion will be to first check the given options above.

Re: How to fix broken rar files
Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: April 18, 2015 10:49

stonesmuziekfan
Job done.

When it is part of a couple of links, go to the folder where the parts are, trash the Original folder and rename the repaired part the same way the Original part was called.

In other cases when it is not the checksum error moste a new download will be the solution.

Uploadings overnight (like I use to do) windows updated causes problems while the computer restarts be itself after a couple of minutes while parts were not uploaded completely.

Maybe 5 or 6 cases are known to me where windows update played parts in broken links.
This is about 0.005%
Mostly I will be warned the next day by downloaders and check if this is the case.

Can you imagine that when people complain about a broken link wich was uploaded for a long time, my first suggestion will be to first check the given options above.

It's also a good time to mention other issues with rar files.

Another issue can be the file name is too long. So in order to fix this just rename the file to a shorter name and all will work ok.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: April 18, 2015 11:36

THE DON
[It's also a good time to mention other issues with rar files.

Another issue can be the file name is too long. So in order to fix this just rename the file to a shorter name and all will work ok.

Yes, and if it is a multi-part set, rename each part to the same name, ie:

longfilename.part1.rar
longfilename.part2.rar
longfilename.part3.rar

to

shortname.part1.rar
shortname.part2.rar
shortname.part3.rar

sometimes filefactory renames them as well so you can end up with a set like:

long - file - name.part1.rar
long - file - name.part2.rar
long_-_file_-_name.part3.rar

where the spaces in part 3 have been replaced by underscores, again just name all parts the same.

Date: April 18, 2015 12:04

Thanks for the additions
thumbs up

Date: April 18, 2015 21:52

stonesmuziekfan
Job done.

This is about 0.005%

You can avoid all Windows specific problems by downloading a distribution of Linux.

If you still want to keep Windows,there is also the option of setting your computer up to a dual-boot menu.

In that case,at boot-up,you could choose to boot into Windows or to boot into the distribution of Linux (such as Zorin , Mageia , Watt O.S. , Absolute etc.) .

It is free and not as complex as it may sound. You would just want to choose the version of Linux that matches your needs and your computer's hardware.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 18, 2015 23:02

Thanks to Jaap and all for your input, Sometimes the simple things can be frustrating, but these are certainly issues I have encountered. so thumbs up for your help.

Date: April 18, 2015 23:48

Winning Ugly

You can avoid all Windows specific problems by downloading a distribution of Linux.

If you still want to keep Windows,there is also the option of setting your computer up to a dual-boot menu.

In that case,at boot-up,you could choose to boot into Windows or to boot into the distribution of Linux (such as Zorin , Mageia , Watt O.S. , Absolute etc.) .

It is free and not as complex as it may sound. You would just want to choose the version of Linux that matches your needs and your computer's hardware.

What is it with you and Linux?

Do you need everybody else to use it to feel secure or something?
Actually my experience of Filefactory says that files sometimes get corrupted on their servers, and many times I've had to re-upload files because they dissappear - on their Linux servers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-19 00:30 by JimmyShelter.

Date: April 19, 2015 13:55

JimmyShelter

Actually my experience of Filefactory says that files sometimes get corrupted on their servers, and many times I've had to re-upload files because they dissappear - on their Linux servers.

A regulair problem indeed.

Date: April 19, 2015 15:30

JimmyShelter
Winning Ugly

What is it with you and rude posts ??

What is it with me and Linux ?? Well,I backed another person's recommendation of it (a person who said that they have been using it for about 20 years with no problems) 2 or 3 months ago as a solution to someone's crashing Windows computer problems. I don't think that I have ever heard anyone say that they have been using Windows for 20 years,let alone 20 months,without any problems.

I am sorry. I should have asked for your blessing before I recommended it again 2 or 3 months later as another solution to yet ANOTHER Windows specific problem.

As far as File Factory and their servers and data security go,that really has nothing to do with anyone's DESKTOP OPERATING SYSTEM software once those files leave the user's computer in an upload to the File Factory server .... other than the fact that their servers may be based on some of the same code. The files would have to be removed by someone. What exactly are the files becoming corrupted with ?? Windows viruses ?? Most servers are based on Linux or BSD , presumably for good reason.

The reason that I recommend it is because,like I said in the post a couple of months ago,I just installed it this past January .... along with my existing Windows system in the dual -boot configuration and it blows Windows out of the water for almost everything. Speed,security,price (free),much less annoying update process which DOES NOT involve the computer re-booting itself or BROKEN uploads .... are among the advantages of Linux based desktop systems over Windows. I very rarely even boot the computer into Windows any longer. I can count the advantages of Windows on one hand and most of them are VERY minor. If Linux is not secure enough despite being exponentially more secure than Windows,there is always BSD which is said to be (by many) the most secure operating system to install. All 3 operating systems (Linux / BSD / Windows) can even be installed on the same computer if the hardware is right with a large enough hard drive. In that case,the end-user can see which one they prefer after they are all set-up with whatever software is desired.

So,to answer your question,I felt as though I should offer the guy a (free) solution to the problem that he is encountering. He seems like a helpful guy with his Stones uploads. In other words,I was trying to help as opposed to being rude and offensive. Hey,maybe not a bad idea ??

Date: April 19, 2015 15:39

stonesmuziekfan
JimmyShelter

A regulair problem indeed.

It sounds to me like a File Factory problem with their encryption / security implementation more than a result of using Linux server software.

However,BSD is one of the best,if not the best software for security as far as servers and desktop operating systems go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 03:02 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Posted by: blackbird ()
Date: April 20, 2015 08:55

Winning Ugly VXII
JimmyShelter
Winning Ugly

What is it with you and rude posts ??

What is it with me and Linux ?? Well,I backed another person's recommendation of it (a person who said that they have been using it for about 20 years with no problems) 2 or 3 months ago as a solution to someone's crashing Windows computer problems. I don't think that I have ever heard anyone say that they have been using Windows for 20 years,let alone 20 months,without any problems.

I am sorry. I should have asked for your blessing before I recommended it again 2 or 3 months later as another solution to yet ANOTHER Windows specific problem.

As far as File Factory and their servers and data security go,that really has nothing to do with anyone's DESKTOP OPERATING SYSTEM software once those files leave the user's computer in an upload to the File Factory server .... other than the fact that their servers may be based on some of the same code. The files would have to be removed by someone. What exactly are the files becoming corrupted with ?? Windows viruses ?? Most servers are based on Linux or BSD , presumably for good reason.

The reason that I recommend it is because,like I said in the post a couple of months ago,I just installed it this past January .... along with my existing Windows system in the dual -boot configuration and it blows Windows out of the water for almost everything. Speed,security,price (free),much less annoying update process which DOES NOT involve the computer re-booting itself or BROKEN uploads .... are among the advantages of Linux based desktop systems over Windows. I very rarely even boot the computer into Windows any longer. I can count the advantages of Windows on one hand and most of them are VERY minor. If Linux is not secure enough despite being exponentially more secure than Windows,there is always BSD which is said to be (by many) the most secure operating system to install. All 3 operating systems (Linux / BSD / Windows) can even be installed on the same computer if the hardware is right with a large enough hard drive. In that case,the end-user can see which one they prefer after they are all set-up with whatever software is desired.

So,to answer your question,I felt as though I should offer the guy a (free) solution to the problem that he is encountering. He seems like a helpful guy with his Stones uploads. In other words,I was trying to help as opposed to being rude and offensive. Hey,maybe not a bad idea ??

That could be me writing that I use Linux the last 20 years whitout problems.
I think using Linux is just a kindly and good tip from Winning Ugly VXII. But thank god that most of the people are using windows, more sooner than later they come and need help fixing there problems. moody smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 09:01 by blackbird.

Date: April 20, 2015 12:16

It wasn't meant to be a personal attack, it all just sounds so evangelical.
Jaap only mentioned Windows once in passing, the main thread was about rar files, not Windows problems.

Linux is really not for most of us, for me hardly any of my software comes Linux flavoured, I've had dual boot systems and hardly ever used the Linux, I have Ubuntu in a VM and never use it either.
I don't think Jaap will mind me saying that he wouldn't know where to start with it. Windows has come a long way in 20 years and is nowhere near as problematic as it used to be, most of it's problems are actually self inflicted by the user anyway. I can't remember the last time I had an issue with my Windows 7 setup. EL runs on a Linux server and that causes problems, it is not perfect, don't try to give people the impression that it is.

Date: April 20, 2015 20:01

The main reason that I mentioned Linux in this thread is because Jaap mentioned that he has run into a problem with uploads becoming broken because of Windows and its update process rebooting the computer automatically.

One immediate solution came to mind so,I figured that I would present it as an option. It is obviously his choice. It's not going to impact my feeling of security either way. Another solution might be to set Windows up for manual updates instead of automatic updates.

I have to use Ubuntu at my job and I don't like it either (The "Unity desktop" is not my favorite). I prefer other distributions of Linux. Both based on Ubuntu (but better laid-out) and not based on Ubuntu.

There are over 100 different distributions of Linux. Some are user friendly and some are not. I figured the essential aspects out within a couple of months.

My opinion is that some Linux distributions are probably actually better for inexperienced computer users than Windows and it is precisely because of the self-inflicted Windows problems that you mention. You almost need to go out of your way to self-inflict problems with the Linux operating systems that I have used. You would have to self-inflict those problems by logging in as a "root administrator" and misusing the terminal.

Not to be sarcastic,but the following is a true story. My 81 year old grandmother couldn't handle Windows 7 (hadn't installed the Service Pack update). She mainly wanted the computer just to use web-based e-mail and send and receive photos of her great-grandchildren but,the Windows based computer became infected with some kind of a re-direct virus that prevented her from logging into her e-mail account and re-directed her to a fake web-site of her internet service provider which prompted her to enter her credit card information. I removed the virus for her but,not long after that she saw a TV advertisement for the WOW computer marketed towards elderly people and ordered it. The WOW computer is based on Linux and now she never runs into any of those previous virus problems. Her only problem now is remembering a couple of passwords. (I'll probably get her a Rolodex for that.)

So,yes,Windows is now much better than it was in the XP and '98 days but,it is not perfect either.

I have found software programs for my distribution of Linux equivalent to almost all of my Windows software. "DVD Audio Extractor" / "ZC DVD Audio Ripper" has been one exception so far. There might be a Linux alternative for that as well but,I haven't looked too far into it yet. My mouse has to be configured with its Windows software before I use it with Linux. That's about it for me so far as far as needing to boot into Windows .... which,by the way,takes longer than booting into the other operating system.

My main issue with what you post is that you are implying that problems with servers that you mention are a result of the fact that they run on Linux software however,you do not provide any technical details of how these problems are supposedly the result of running Linux software.

Like I said earlier,by the description of the File Factory server problem,it clearly seems as though the problem is a result of their security implementation / encryption and NOT because of the Linux server software. I can't speculate on EL because no details have been provided but it could be the same deal.

If servers running on Linux were inherently so vulnerable and problematic you would figure that they would not be so widespread as an industry standard. If Windows - based servers were better,it would be reasonable to figure that more people would be using them by now.

It just seems as though you are trying to lead people to believe that all Linux desktop operating systems are too complex and a bad idea based on some vague,non-detailed complaints about some servers which happen to run on Linux software. The implication seems to be that you shouldn't run a Linux-based desktop operating system because of this incomplete information.

I don't agree. You all can have your opinion. I have mine which is a result of using Windows for almost 13 years and using a few different Linux versions for slightly more than 3 months.

Date: April 20, 2015 22:16

Winning Ugly VXII
... Another solution might be to set Windows up for manual updates instead of automatic updates...

You got to admit that that would be a bit easier than installing a new operating system.

Date: April 21, 2015 09:42

JimmyShelter
Winning Ugly VXII
... Another solution might be to set Windows up for manual updates instead of automatic updates...

You got to admit that that would be a bit easier than installing a new operating system.

Good idea, thanks.

Date: April 23, 2015 18:40

JimmyShelter
Winning Ugly VXII

Sure,but not by much.

Only 1 bird with the stone going that route but,it should solve the automatic unplanned re-boot problem.

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: April 23, 2015 19:59

Winning Ugly VXII
Linux

I'm afraid that many of my programs don't have a Linux alternative.
To name just a few:
MediathekView
TotalMedia Theatre
Boilsoft Video Splitter
DVDFab
IsoBuster
DVD Shrink

Chris from Belgium

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home