Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about AC3 and Wav
Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: October 20, 2014 21:52

When I ripped the audio from the M2TS file from the Saitama Blue Ray Disc,
I ripped it both in AC3 and Wav.
The resulting files were quit different in size.
The AC3 file was 378 Mb (stereo), while the wave file was almost 1.3 Gb.
They both sound fine using my headphone, but is it normal that they differ so much in size?

Chris from Belgium

Re: Question about AC3 and Wav
Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: October 20, 2014 22:13

coowouters
They both sound fine using my headphone, but is it normal that they differ so much in size?

Hi Coowouters,
AC-3 is lossy this is why it's smaller in size. Also AC-3 is used for 5 channels.

More info here:
[forum.doom9.org]

Date: October 20, 2014 23:05

THE DON
coowouters

Hi Coowouters,
AC-3 is lossy this is why it's smaller in size. Also AC-3 is used for 5 channels.

More info here:
[forum.doom9.org]

Thanks for the link and the info thumbs up

I suppose that, if the original BR would have been 5.1, the file would be larger? And would it, even being lossy, give the real 5.1 sound?
Questions, questions, questions....LOL!

The problem to find out by myself is that I don't have a BR player in my PC, so I can't take a BR and try it out.

Is there a music BR (preferably Stones) with real 5.1 around somewhere to download?

I really would love to try it out.

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: October 20, 2014 23:08

wav (PCM): 1411 kbps (or higher)
AC3: 128 kbps to 448 kbps

Saitama Bluray:
AC3 Stereo 48000Hz 256kbits

It makes no sense to convert audio from the Bluray to wav (1411 kbps) because the Bluray has lossy audio only 256kbits! It will not be better with a higher bit rate

Date: October 20, 2014 23:17

coowouters
THE DON
coowouters

Hi Coowouters,

More info here:
[forum.doom9.org]

Thanks for the link and the info thumbs up

I suppose that, if the original BR would have been 5.1, the file would be larger? And would it, even being lossy, give the real 5.1 sound?
Questions, questions, questions....LOL!

The problem to find out by myself is that I don't have a BR player in my PC, so I can't take a BR and try it out.

Is there a music BR (preferably Stones) with real 5.1 around somewhere to download?

I really would love to try it out.

I too don't have a BR on computer or home.

If you have Mediainfo installed you can right click on any bov files from DVD and get info to codecs used + bitrate + channels if 2.0 or 5.1 and if AC-3 or MP2 or PCM and will also indicate if it's lossy or lossless. Even tell you if NTSC or PAL and FPS and if 4:3 or 16.9

Note by analyzing the Mediainfo of any video or for example vob file you can learn alot. This is also how i learned everytime i downlaod a DVD i look at the specs. You will also learn that the larger the bitrate the larger the size of audio or video will be.

Date: October 21, 2014 08:51

Most commercial ( non-bootleg ) Blu-ray discs have the surround sound track in a lossless format .... either Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio . That information should be listed on the back cover(s) of the disc(s) .

This is one of the reasons why the Blu-ray disc was invented.

To rip the audio in a lossless format however,you will have to side-step the copy protection.

To listen to the Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio surround sound track without loss,you can either :

A) Let the Blu-ray Disc player decode the lossless audio internally and then output the audio via multi-channel analog outputs ( which are a rare feature in Blu-ray players these days ) or output the audio via the HDMI output .

cool smiley Bitstream the lossless audio through the HDMI output to an A/V receiver or pre-amplifier / processor with a Dolby True HD decoder and a DTS HD Master Audio decoder .

Date: October 21, 2014 12:15

I found software that can extract and convert Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio to wav.
Once I've found a BR with this audio format that I can download, I will give it a try.
Just because I would like to know what the result in wav will be smiling smiley

I'm also going to try out Mediainfo (I had a similar program, but I accidentally erased it from my pc).

Thanks to all for the info!

Chris from Belgium

Date: October 21, 2014 12:17

werther2003
wav (PCM): 1411 kbps (or higher)
AC3: 128 kbps to 448 kbps

Saitama Bluray:
AC3 Stereo 48000Hz 256kbits

It makes no sense to convert audio from the Bluray to wav (1411 kbps) because the Bluray has lossy audio only 256kbits! It will not be better with a higher bit rate

I understood that Werther.
Just wanted to make the audio available in wav for some people who asked me.
(you should see the amount of mails I get, maybe I should hide my e-mail address, LOL!)

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 21, 2014 13:09

concerning this specific recording, it would have been better to extract the audio from the CDs instead of lossy audio from BD. of course if you haven`t got the CDs....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-21 13:10 by falo01.

Date: October 21, 2014 19:40

The only thing you should have done Cooowouters was at least to keep the audio bitrate to 256 like the BR instead of 192 in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 08:08 by THE DON.

Date: October 21, 2014 22:55

THE DON
The only think you should have done Cooowouters was at least to keep the audio bitrate to 256 like the BR instead of 192 in my opinion.

Guilty as charged eye rolling smiley

Chris from Belgium

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home