Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is there a release that contains all the available Altamont audio sources?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 11, 2014 00:25

I know there are several different audio documents out there including audience tapes, radio shows, raw soundboards etc.

I have a nice matrix but would love to hear all the individual sources.

Re: Is there a release that contains all the available Altamont audio sources?
Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: April 11, 2014 15:35

vudicus

I know there are several different audio documents out there including audience tapes, radio shows, raw soundboards etc.

I have a nice matrix but would love to hear all the individual sources.

[dbboots.com]

Some of these are available on [www.iorr.org]

Date: April 12, 2014 00:46

Cool, thanks for the links

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: April 12, 2014 01:01

vudicus
Cool, thanks for the links

Welcome!

Date: April 12, 2014 15:37

Can anybody tell me if any of these sources are duplicates from the others I've listed? I'm trying to get copies of all the different sources.

"The Killer Festival" VGP-113 (first audience tape)

"Altamont" DAC-019 (Disc 2 has the French Radio Coverage)

"It's Just A Shot Away" DAC-099 (different audience tape to VGP)

"The Sun So Dark And The Hour So Late"
Palladium LTD (Incomplete different source?)

"Altamont Speedway" Shaved Disc TSD003 (Incomplete different source?)

"Altamont - The Rolling Stones In Concert"
Idol Mind IMP-CD-008-009 (duplicate of one of the above or new source?)

Any others I'm missing? (not including matrix versions which I have)

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 12, 2014 16:14

I think you miss the Altamont Matrix, made by Bigtyke66 (VoodooJungle-Records VJ-R030. I guess it's in the StonesVault here. To me it's the best Altamont recording.

Date: April 12, 2014 16:19

kleermaker
I think you miss the Altamont Matrix, made by Bigtyke66 (VoodooJungle-Records VJ-R030. I guess it's in the StonesVault here. To me it's the best Altamont recording.

Hi Kleermaker,

I have that one and it is indeed great.
I'm looking to find all the individual sources now.

Cheers, Vudicus.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 13, 2014 10:53

Don't forget the source that is synched from 3 sources so that you hear the echo on the hillside from one source, Jagger's vocals so close, without the mike, and a third source.

The single most horrifying live document I have ever heard. During Carol, you hear a man's voice say, "There's no way out of here," in response to a female telling him she's got to get away. Great for the odd bad acid trip or the best way I've found of ridding my sitting room nay domicile of unwanted persons!

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: April 13, 2014 21:26

vudicus
Can anybody tell me if any of these sources are duplicates from the others I've listed? I'm trying to get copies of all the different sources.

"The Killer Festival" VGP-113 (first audience tape)

"Altamont" DAC-019 (Disc 2 has the French Radio Coverage)

"It's Just A Shot Away" DAC-099 (different audience tape to VGP)

"The Sun So Dark And The Hour So Late"
Palladium LTD (Incomplete different source?)

"Altamont Speedway" Shaved Disc TSD003 (Incomplete different source?)

"Altamont - The Rolling Stones In Concert"
Idol Mind IMP-CD-008-009 (duplicate of one of the above or new source?)

Any others I'm missing? (not including matrix versions which I have)

You are missing the following:

A: "Shot Of Salvation" bootleg CD features a complete, professionally mixed version of Gimme Shelter from Altamont. It is the only Altamont track on that disc.

B: In 2009, one of the members of this site generously posted the following 3 recordings either here or on his own site (am a bit confused as to where they were available for download):

1) complete Sam Cutler intro and Jumping Jack Flash (1st minute or so of the song)
2) Stray Cat Blues (1st minute or so)
3) The Sun Is Shining (complete)

These three were posted in mono, soundboard quality, but sounded like they needed a bit of mixing, but amazingly clear nevertheless.

C: "The Rolling Stones & Guests Altamont Free Concert-40th Anniversary 4 Disc Set" IMP-M-030: CD 1 features others acts from Altamont. CD 2 and part of CD 3 are a matrix which includes the above 4 items and tracks from audience recordings, but which audience recordings I can not say. The remainder of CD 3 is a mixed bag of selections but apparently some of this audience recording is "new". It includes a complete Sam Cutler intro and JJF, and a complete Sympathy 1 & 2. It may have been the original sound recording used in creating the KRON-TV mini documentary found on the 4th disc (a DVD). There are also home movies of Altamont on this DVD but no new audio. If you can find this 4 disc set, you won't need to bother finding A or B, although those are the original sources for what you'll find on the Idle Mind 4 disc set.

Good luck with this project!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-13 21:29 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2014 15:16

Someone (Watchit?) shared a tape which could be the same as the one on VGP-113 except it was lower-gen/better sounding.

"This is an audience recording of The Rolling Stones' notorious free concert at the Altamont Speedway in Livermore, CA, December 6, 1969. Its source is an XLII-S cassette. This recording has been used on other bootlegs but this version is a little better and more complete. It includes the very end of Brown Sugar and the lengthy introduction to Midnight Rambler missing from most versions. It was apparently recorded by two guys working together. They are visible quite a bit in the "Gimme Shelter" movie; by Under My Thumb the tapers are in the very front. The tape recorder is visible on top of one of the big monitor speakers in several occasions; photos are included.

For those of you unfamiliar with the recording, it's generally pretty good. Drums are mostly inaudible but sometimes they're pretty clear. Everything else is very clear but muffled during the scuffles. Plus more profanity from the tapers and crowd than any other tape I can think of, by far. This is the only known performance of this era of The Sun is Shining by Jimmy Reed, and also the first performance of Brown Sugar, written and recorded just days earlier in Muscle Shoals, AL. After a quick refresher, they nail it.

I've gone through a couple different versions of cassette recordings of this concert. This is the latest and greatest. Unfortunately, all of them are in apparently "electronically reprocessed" stereo, except for the very end of Brown Sugar. I have left the fake stereo as-is. If anyone has a true mono recording I would love to hear it. As with the other cassettes, this one has also been equalized at some point in the copying process. This one sounded different on Side A and Side B, so I have tried to re-EQ Side B to match.

Historical note: As documented by the Maysles brothers in "Gimme Shelter," the concert was hastily and poorly organized. The San Francisco Hell's Angels were much tougher than the English ones previously used for security at Hyde Park five months earlier. The Maysles included some of the worst footage in their film but this recording shows that they changed the order of some events. For example, Meredith Hunter was fatally stabbed between two versions of "Under My Thumb." The film shows him stabbed right after the second version when in fact the Stones immediately launched into the first ever performance of "Brown Sugar."

Presented in FLAC 1.2.1.

01. Jumping Jack Flash
02. Carol
03. Sympathy For The Devil 1*
04. Sympathy For The Devil 2*
05. The Sun Is Shining
06. Stray Cat Blues
07. Love In Vain
08. Under My Thumb 1
09. Under My Thumb 2*
10. Brown Sugar (complete)
11. intro
12. Midnight Rambler
13. Live With Me
14. Gimme Shelter*
15. Little Queenie
16. Satisfaction
17. Honky Tonk Women
18. Street Fighting Man*

*not included, partially available in the commercially released film "Gimme Shelter." Buy it!"

Date: April 14, 2014 19:02

Thanks to everyone for the info, much appreciated

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:05

HEILOOBAAS
Don't forget the source that is synched from 3 sources so that you hear the echo on the hillside from one source, Jagger's vocals so close, without the mike, and a third source.

The single most horrifying live document I have ever heard. During Carol, you hear a man's voice say, "There's no way out of here," in response to a female telling him she's got to get away. Great for the odd bad acid trip or the best way I've found of ridding my sitting room nay domicile of unwanted persons!

Which one is this?

Posted by: dph ()
Date: April 21, 2014 03:14

There is also this version, previously available on HungerCity:

Over the years there have been a number of different releases of the famous Rolling Stones concert at the Altamont Speedway, at the conclusion of their 1969 US tour. As documented in the film "Gimme Shelter," there were numerous problems before and during the concert. I have attempted to assemble a complete version of the show from the best available sources, and have also included the lesser/alternate sources for reference starting with track 4 on CD2. This is not a matrix; it's only what I prefer, one at a time. Where multiple sources are used, all are smoothly cross faded together.

Here are the sources, in approximate order of when they began circulating:

Source 1, Gimme Shelter soundtrack, digitally extracted from DVD and downsampled to CD bitrate. This is lossy AC3 audio but still sounds great. Other sources have been added to fill its edits. This is the reference source for pitch correction. Reassembling "Gimme Shelter," CD1 track 16, was quite a challenge. Note that this source is used for music wherever possible, but Source 2 is used between songs to better capture what was going on in the crowd.

Source 2, low gen audience recording from an XLII-S cassette. This recording has been used on other bootlegs but this version is a little better and more complete. It includes the very end of Brown Sugar and the full introduction to Midnight Rambler missing from some versions. I've gone through a couple different cassettes and this is the best I've had. Unfortunately, every version is in "electronically reprocessed" stereo, which I left as-is. The very end of Brown Sugar is mono which is probably how it was recorded. As with the previous cassettes, this one has been equalized at some point. Side A sounds better so I EQ'ed Side B in an attempt to match it. This was transferred to PC using an Audiophile 2496 sound card. Complete versions of the music are on CD2.

Source 3, unmixed Gimme Shelter soundtrack from original silver boot CD, used to reassemble "Gimme Shelter." Excellent quality but not as crisp as the soundtrack which is better mixed and mastered. Extracted using EAC.

Source 4, soundboard recording from Internet in lossy mp3 quality which is all that's publicly available. The vocals are a bit loud. Apparently the sound man still has the tape.

Source 5, audience recording by unknown FM station from CDR, extracted using EAC, log included. I have no information other than what I can determine from listening: a radio station sent a guy to the concert with a hand-held tape recorder. He recorded parts of the concert and then the station broadcast them over the air, shortly afterwards. I assume it was a local station because the taper seems pretty familiar with the Hell's Angels. The tape recorder runs low on power causing speed fluctuations, and what's here is all there is. I rate the quality as slightly better than Source 2, except for the speed fluctuations. There was a short gap in "Sympathy" 2, which I patched from Source 2.

CD2 track 16 is the audio from a TV broadcast by KRON San Francisco 12/8/1969 from CDR, extracted using EAC, log included. It tells the story of the events leading up to the concert, what happened there, and the immediate aftermath. It also includes excerpts of parts of the concert from a third audience recording, which is worse than Sources 2 or 5. Someone previously edited out the commercials, and I edited it some more. This track is not the greatest fidelity but it's listenable. Not a big deal since it's mainly talking.

All tracks edited, pitch corrected, cross faded, etc., with Adobe Audition. Track splitting by CD Wave and tagging by foobar2000.

Presented in FLAC 1.2.1. Includes artwork plus art without text in case you can do a better job. I believe the tapers pictured are responsible for Source 2. The tape recorder is visible on top of one of the big monitor speakers on several occasions in the film.

First uploaded to HungerCity by watchit, November 2011.

Rolling Stones
Altamont Speedway 12/6/1969
Livermore, CA

CD1:

01. Sam's Plea (source 5)
02. introduction (source 4)
03. Jumping Jack Flash (sources 4 and 2)
04. Carol (source 2)
05. Sympathy for the Devil 1 (sources 2 and 1)
06. Sympathy for the Devil 2 (sources 2, 1, and 4)
07. The Sun is Shining (source 4)
08. Stray Cat Blues (sources 4 and 2)
09. Love in Vain (source 2)
10. Under My Thumb 1 (source 2)
11. Under My Thumb 2 (sources 2 and 1)
12. Brown Sugar (source 2)
13. Midnight Rambler introduction (source 2)
14. Midnight Rambler (source 2)
15. Live with Me (sources 2 and 3)
16. Gimme Shelter (sources 3, 1, and 2)
17. Little Queenie (source 2)

CD2:

01. Satisfaction (source 2)
02. Honky Tonk Women (source 2)
03. Street Fighting Man (sources 2 and 1)
---end of concert, begin alt. sources---
04. introduction (source 5)
05. Jumping Jack Flash (source 5)
06. Carol (source 5)
07. announcer (source 5)
08. Sympathy for the Devil 1 (source 5)
09. Sympathy for the Devil 2 (sources 5 and 2)
10. Sympathy for the Devil 1 (source 2)
11. Sympathy for the Devil 2 (source 2)
12. The Sun is Shining (source 2)
13. Stray Cat Blues (source 2)
14. Under My Thumb 2 (source 2)
15. Gimme Shelter (source 2)
16. Altamont news report

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home