Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Request: 40 Licks sessions
Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: April 6, 2014 01:32

Looking for songs from the sessions that produced the 4 new ones that were recorded for the 40 Licks album. I have heard of 3. One was a number sung by Keith called "180" and the other 2 were "Just Because" and "When I Call Your Name." Thanks.

Re: Request: 40 Licks sessions
Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: April 6, 2014 10:11

You can't find anything from these sessions, apart from a handful of official tracks on 40 Licks and Four Flicks, plus Hurricane.

Just Because and When I Call Your Name could be cover versions of the songs by Lloyd Price and The Skatalites (as they always do a lot of covers to warm-up at the start of sessions - they reportedly also did The Meters' Love Is For Me at this session).

180 is also known under the title Smooth 180.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-07 17:04 by NeddieFlanders.

Date: April 6, 2014 15:02

NeddieFlanders, thanks for the info. I have heard of someone who has heard them, they were rough mixes. "Just Because" is a really good country-tinged rocker. "When I Call Your Name" is an old style R&B number. Sounds like Lloyd Price Price and The Skatalites. Plus, I too have heard Keith's song called "Smooth 180."

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: April 7, 2014 17:04

>I have heard of someone who has heard them, they were rough mixes.

These rough mixes would be very interesting to hear as the Forty Licks-session is one of the few sessions which didn't leak any outtakes or alternate takes yet.

They also did Only Found Out Yesterday, which Scorsese used (in a different version) for the closing credits of Shine A Light and also recut Still In Love (which they already revived during the Undercover-sessions).

N

Date: April 7, 2014 19:48

That is why I keep hoping they will surface. The 5 we have are as good as some of the songs on 'ABB.' There must be something of value. Surprised they never went back and dusted them off. But Jagger is known for never having much interest in songs left unfinished. Maybe we will get a 'Deluxe Edition' of rarities one day. Not like the last one with the badly written notes.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 8, 2014 10:38

None of this is available and AFAIK TeddyB1018 is the only one who's said he heard some of them, in fact only a few days ago in reply to one of your questions...[www.iorr.org]

"Still in Love" we found out about because of a screenshot in Forty Flicks, I'd started a topic about that last year, let's see...here you go "2002 Sessions in Paris - they did record 30+ songs !" [www.iorr.org];

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 10:38 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 8, 2014 16:56

gotdablouse, thanks for putting this back up. Guess I missed it. I would like to have the chance to hear these songs. The one that intrigues me is Keith's 'Smooth 180.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home