Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

QUESTION: New, alternate source of Oakland '69?
Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: December 27, 2010 13:39

Hi All:-)
I was hoping that one of you kind folks could help me here please:
DAC have just released a 4cd version of 'Live'r Than You'll Ever Be' (see photo's). This looks like a complete rip-off, so I'm certainly not thinking of BUYING this thing!. I'm just curious about the 2nd disc, which features a 'new, alternate source' of this classic show. Being completely ignorant about torrents & what gems emerge via that route (& baring in mind that DAC & most other boot labels rely on torrents nowadays), does anyone know anything about this new source?.
Thanks in advance for any 'enlightenment' :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-27 13:40 by MrsHop.

Re: QUESTION: New, alternate source of Oakland '69?
Posted by: jimjamaica ()
Date: December 27, 2010 13:52

I have a source from August downloaded on Dime called ''new source``.
Uploader comment:

The Rolling Stones
Oakland Coliseum
Oakland, CA
09 November 1969 (late show)
G-VG audience recording

Lineage: audience master > wav > flac

Mastering: None except indexing of tracks.

Track listing:

Disc 1 (72:54)

01. Intro
02. Jumping Jack Flash 3:13
03. Carol 3:27
04. Sympathy for the Devil 6:03
05. Stray Cat Blues 3:26
06. Prodigal Son 3:25
07. You Gotta Move 2:27
08. Love in Vain 4:48
09. I'm Free 5:05
10. Under My Thumb 2:52
11. Midnight Rambler 7:20
12. Live with Me [start cut] 1:05
13. Gimme Shelter 3:44
14. Little Queenie 3:59
15. Satisfaction 5:22
16. Honky Tonk Woman 3:45
17. Street Fighting Man 3:46

The above timings are song timings, not CD track timings.

Background:
Some years ago i received a box of master reels to transfer, all recorded in the S.F. area
in 1969 and 1970, and including a variety of artists. I think most of these are in
circulation, how widely i don't know. They were all recorded by the same taper, and these
were the original reels.

This is a the companion recording of the Oakland Stones show that goes with the opening
acts for that show already uploaded:

[www.dimeadozen.org]

I have no idea how many different sources are circulating for this show in addition to that
used on the classic vinyl bootleg. This recording has the start of "Live with Me" missing
due to the tape side change; perhaps this is the easiest way to distinguish it. I feel
certain that this has made it into the trading pool already, but i don't see it on the tracker
and it was requested, so here it is.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 27, 2010 13:57

Yes, the new source & the supporting acts were on Dime a few months ago. It is indeed a new source. I don't think that this new DAC release is a rip-off. The recording informations on the cover are correct.

PS. What's the number of this DAC release?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-27 14:11 by midnrambler.

Date: December 27, 2010 14:09

midnrambler
The new source was on Dime a few months ago. It is indeed a new source. I don't think that this new DAC release is a rip-off. The recording informations on the cover are true.

Hi :-). I didn't mean that the info was wrong, more like DAC have managed to turn this old warhorse into a VERY expensive, 4-cd package. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in the opening acts (though some may be of course), the Bill Graham soundboard has been around for years, as has the TMOQ recording (obviously).
So, for a huge price- you're really just getting this alternate source, which sounds like it's not as good as the original recording. Just my opinion :-)

Date: December 27, 2010 14:13

Many thanks jimjamaica for that swift & detailed information. I knew I could count on the wealth of knowledge here! :-)

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: December 27, 2010 21:28

Hi midnrambler; the number is DAC-116
MrsHop, you got mail!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 27, 2010 23:01

Hi MrsHop,

I was thinking the same as you, though I would actually be interested in the opening acts' sets. I haven't downloaded the new source but from what I've read on Dime the new source is more distant but does include full versions of JJF and UMT which in the past were marred by tape issues and/or incompleteness (have I got that right? Don't have my notes with me). So, the consensus is between the new and the old source you can now put together a complete show. Also, you might have seen this on CMR but the word is that Godfather are releasing the new source as a single disc in January. Hope this is of some help.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 28, 2010 00:40

andrewm
Hi MrsHop,

I was thinking the same as you, though I would actually be interested in the opening acts' sets. I haven't downloaded the new source but from what I've read on Dime the new source is more distant but does include full versions of JJF and UMT which in the past were marred by tape issues and/or incompleteness (have I got that right? Don't have my notes with me). So, the consensus is between the new and the old source you can now put together a complete show. Also, you might have seen this on CMR but the word is that Godfather are releasing the new source as a single disc in January. Hope this is of some help.

It would be nice if someone could upload those two songs!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 28, 2010 00:50

Yeah, I'll double check on that but I believe that is the case.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 29, 2010 00:28

A complete show has already been uploaded on dime and is easily the best source for this show to date.

The main source is the better sounding TMOQ recording with the missing parts carefully added from the recently discovered "new" source.

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:22

hi ! why not do matrix /merge of these three sources ?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:38

vudicus
A complete show has already been uploaded on dime and is easily the best source for this show to date.

The main source is the better sounding TMOQ recording with the missing parts carefully added from the recently discovered "new" source.

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Re that particular torrent (the Ken/Dub tape plus patches from the new source) let me quote a comment from the torrent thread by DocDondy :

"Hey, mate!

Wow, you did a fantastic job, really! BIG congrats and many, many (!) thanks for your meticulous job. I compared with my 1st gen.-off-Dub's-master-copy which I once received from my fave trade mate and low generation god Larry "Florida Kid" Clark, and feel inclined to report that:

1. your inserts are just about SEAMLESS. I have the alternate source too and you did the splice-in job so well that I really wouldn't be able to tell there are repairs if I didn't know better;

2. Your copy of Dub's recording sounds just as good as my 1st gen. copy (at least to my sore old ears) that it is pretty likely your copy might well be a 1st gen., too.
All other versions, especially the various silver boots (on Tarantura, Turd..., Oh Boy you name them) are tweaked and sound much worse. This is the pure, soundwise undoctored version - and it doesn't need any fumbling at frigging all (IMHO)"

Sounds great innit?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 29, 2010 14:08

vancouver
hi ! why not do matrix /merge of these three sources ?

Its difficult. The soundboard has its ups and down, in terms of speed fluctuations.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 29, 2010 18:19

dcba
vudicus

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Re that particular torrent (the Ken/Dub tape plus patches from the new source) let me quote a comment from the torrent thread by DocDondy :

"Hey, mate!

Wow, you did a fantastic job, really! BIG congrats and many, many (!) thanks for your meticulous job. I compared with my 1st gen.-off-Dub's-master-copy which I once received from my fave trade mate and low generation god Larry "Florida Kid" Clark, and feel inclined to report that:

1. your inserts are just about SEAMLESS. I have the alternate source too and you did the splice-in job so well that I really wouldn't be able to tell there are repairs if I didn't know better;

2. Your copy of Dub's recording sounds just as good as my 1st gen. copy (at least to my sore old ears) that it is pretty likely your copy might well be a 1st gen., too.
All other versions, especially the various silver boots (on Tarantura, Turd..., Oh Boy you name them) are tweaked and sound much worse. This is the pure, soundwise undoctored version - and it doesn't need any fumbling at frigging all (IMHO)"

Sounds great innit?

It does indeed sound great, I've had many versions of this show over the years and I don't think this version could ever be bettered (unless a complete soundboard emerged that is)

Date: December 29, 2010 19:14

Thanks for the comment and the link to Dime. I've downloaded it and will listen to it. Thank you all!

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 29, 2010 21:21

any chance of getting this posted here?

Happy New Year to one and all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 21:22 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: December 30, 2010 05:12

Yes Please Post the Whole Kit & Kaboodle Right Here!!

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 30, 2010 14:41

It would be great having it posted here!

Date: December 30, 2010 19:15

Well, I want to give it a try (this one: [www.dimeadozen.org]).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home