Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

post : Outtakes : Chain Saw Massacre (Dog N Cat Records DAC-110), Pathe Marconi Studios, Boulogne Billancourt, France, 11 Nov - 17 December, 1982
Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: December 20, 2010 20:48

Chain Saw Massacre (Dog n Cat Records DAC-110)
Pathe Marconi Studios, Boulogne Billancourt, France, 11 Nov - 17 December, 1982
Excellent sound

Tracklist

Wanna Hold You I
Too Much Blood I
Pretty Beat Up I
Chain-Saw-Rocker
Too Tough I
Tried To Talk Here Into It
All The Way Down I
Still In Love III
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) I
Blues Jam #1 *
Blues Jam #2 *
Blues Jam #3 (The Stumble) *

* Bonustrack

CD + artwork [www.megaupload.com]

Many thanks to DRNO for sending this !!!!

GR Ray

Re: post : Outtakes : Chain Saw Massacre (Dog N Cat Records DAC-110), Pathe Marconi Studios, Boulogne Billancourt, France, 11 Nov - 17 December, 1982
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: December 20, 2010 20:54

smileys with beer

>grinning smiley<

Re: post : Outtakes : Chain Saw Massacre (Dog N Cat Records DAC-110), Pathe Marconi Studios, Boulogne Billancourt, France, 11 Nov - 17 December, 1982
Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 20, 2010 22:05

Thanks Ray. What a nice Christmasgift!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 20, 2010 22:52

Really great quality, and more complete versions than the OBR release.

Thanks!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 21, 2010 00:18

Nice artwork though I'm not sure the pix are from 82... Anyway thx a lot for your generosity smileys with beer

Date: December 21, 2010 00:21

And is it an upgrade over the nice "Jamming with Stu" boot (VGP-240)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 17:49 by dcba.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: December 21, 2010 03:01

smileys with beer
awesome!

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: December 21, 2010 13:18

dcba
And is it an upgarade over the nice "Jamming with Stu" boot (VGP-240)?

This is some of my favourite booted studio material, as it's not as overproduced as the finished record & also in wonderful quality on 'Jamming With Stu'. That being the case & having a temporary lack of sense- I ordered this new DAC title. I just wanted to add that preamble, so as not to offend the kind uploader :-) (in other words- I'm basing my judgement on something I PAID for- dumb I know):
I thought: "Jamming With Stu" is in such good quality, how could DAC go wrong?". Well, as usual- they seem to have put 'the mufflers'on much of this material. The first track (the long & great 'Wanna Hold You') is particularly bad- utiliizing DAC's patented 'SSIYS' technology again- ie: stuff socks in yer speakers. I also noticed that the first 2 tracks in particular have EXACTLY the same running-times as the same versions on JWS. Anyone out there who's familiar with 'Jamming With Stu' (lots hopefully :-)), should also check-out the channel-seperation on 'Wanna Hold You' too & compare them. On the VGP- Keith's riff clangs out of one channel, while the bass is panned very much to the opposite channel. On the DAC, the track is almost mono. It's ISN'T mono, but I had to check through my headphones to confirm that & I think this is also reponsible for making it sound (to me) worse.
Many of the tracks on DAC's recent 'Pain Of Love' sounded pretty muddy too imo, but as they were speed-corrected, I guess you could say they were 'an upgrade' of sorts (?). It's a bit odd that:
A.They seem to sometimes mess with perfectly good/great recordings & make them sound worse &
B. As DAC are essentially the same company as VGP, why 're-release' & sabotage what they've already put out(!!?). 'Jamming With Stu' is now pretty hard to find, so for those who collect silver-pressed boots- it makes this version the only available choice.
Listening back-to-back I was kind of appalled & did a quick check on Ebay, to see how many boots were currently listed!.
BUT- it's not all bad news, so I'm glad I didn't act in haste. Some of the material here DOES seem to sound better than it does on the VGP, principally by having more 'bottom-end' & running longer. Whether that's through luck or judgement I don't know....
I guess some of it's down to personal taste, but I'll be interested to hear what others think. It may sound like I'm being a bit 'anal' here, but some DAC releases seem to actually be downgrading past releases. I say 'some' because some of their recent studio-outtakes releases have been excellent- if a bit hit & miss.
OK- I'm blathering now! LOL. But, it's also amazing how the order of a tracklist can make such a big difference. I burned exactly the same running-order taken from 'JWS', left off that titles 'Dirty Work' outtakes & it left me with a great, alternate album, that I've been giving some heavy rotation.
Sorry- now it looks like I've done a 'review', which really wasn't the plan at all- I'm no expert. I just HAD TO mention all this & it IS PURELY my opinion. I can't remember who, but a little while ago someone on here said that he'd never come across anybody who prefers DAC's mastering over other versions. So, I tend to agree (maybe SOMEONE here doesn't?).
Looking on the bright side: For anyone who hasn't heard this stuff before, it DOES sound very, very good. But hypothetically: if you knew this DAC version first, then found the VGP release afterwards with a 'remastered' sticker on it- you'd probably think: WOW!- GREAT JOB! imho.
Once again- absolutely NO disrespect to the uploader! :-))

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 16:13 by MrsHop.

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: December 21, 2010 16:23

Thanks a lot Kessie!
Chris

Posted by: Amarant ()
Date: December 21, 2010 17:11

Thanks a lot!!

Date: December 21, 2010 17:51

Always a pleasure to read you MrsHop smileys with beer

Am I the only one who thinks :
- the material is pretty turgid and boring (the final official versions are a lot better)
- the 3 bluesy jams are excellent. I just keep playing them over and over...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 19:15 by dcba.

Posted by: DiddleyBo ()
Date: December 21, 2010 18:06

Many thanks, Keessie!!

thumbs up

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: December 21, 2010 19:49

Thank you very much

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:36

DiddleyBo
Many thanks, Keessie!!

thumbs up

ABSOLUTELY!. I have nothing but respect for the people who generously share these titles here. I'd do the same if I wasn't so old & stupid! :-). I wouldn't have commented if I'd just downloaded this- it would've sounded rude & ungrateful. Hopefully what I said didn't come across that way.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 21, 2010 20:39

Thanks again Keessie, grabbed this one from DIME

@MrsHop, me too always enjoy reading your reviews. I have listened to the DAC, but haven't compared it to Jamming With Stu, side by side, yet. But I bet that you are right in your complaints about the mastering done by DAC

@dcba; completely agree about the music itself. Real dull material. The official product "Undercover" is really really really much better than the demos/first takes; especially for songs like Too Much Blood and Too Tough. The 3 bonus tracks here are the highlights of the discs, which is not saying very much - nice groove though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-21 20:41 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: December 21, 2010 22:23

many thanks

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 22, 2010 00:07

How old are the DAC people? I'd say they are older than 50 or 60 years! I think they can't hear the higher frequencies above 10 kHz anymore! That's why they use the 'SSIYS' technology (as MrsHop describes it) without hearing their result themselves at all! Maybe it would be a good idea if they hired some young people for their remastering...

Date: December 22, 2010 00:26

Maybe the DAC crew got hired as front-row ushers for the Japan 1990 tour. In one way they fulfilled their lifetime dream (by being only meters away from their idols night after night). On the other hand being exposed to the Stones P.A. obviously DESTROYED their hearing. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: December 22, 2010 14:00

Erik_Snow

@MrsHop, me too always enjoy reading your reviews. I have listened to the DAC, but haven't compared it to Jamming With Stu, side by side, yet. But I bet that you are right in your complaints about the mastering done by DAC

@dcba; completely agree about the music itself. Real dull material. The official product "Undercover" is really really really much better than the demos/first takes; especially for songs like Too Much Blood and Too Tough. The 3 bonus tracks here are the highlights of the discs, which is not saying very much - nice groove though

I actually like "Wanna Hold You" better than the album version. The guitars are heavier and it sounds more like the live versions from '98. "Tried To Talk Her Into It" I think is also very good. They should have finished it and used it on the album. At least as a B side.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: December 22, 2010 21:10

Thanks a lot Keessie and drno for this brand new DAC release.

Posted by: Rollover1970 ()
Date: December 23, 2010 00:52

Thanks a lot!!!thumbs up

Date: December 23, 2010 01:04

Hillside Blues
Erik_Snow

I actually like "Wanna Hold You" better than the album version. The guitars are heavier and it sounds more like the live versions from '98. "Tried To Talk Her Into It" I think is also very good. They should have finished it and used it on the album. At least as a B side.

Hmmm, I gotta admit that "Wanna Hold You" is one of the VERY few Rolling Stones tracks from 1968 to 1983 which I don't care for at all; not any versions.

When it comes to "Tried To Talk Her Into It".....it comes to short compared to the unreleased tracks of "the same easy mood" from the Some Girls/Emotional Rescue sessions; maybe that's the reason I don't fancy that one.
IF they should have finished one of the "unreleased tracks" from the Undercover sessions, it should (in my opinion, of course) have been "Still In Love" (allthough not the version featured on this DAC release.....but the one on "Goin Mad & Wild" ). That's a haunting beautiful melody, I think - but maybe the problem was that it's hard to come up with vocals that suit the melody?

Date: December 23, 2010 01:10

midnrambler
How old are the DAC people? I'd say they are older than 50 or 60 years! I think they can't hear the higher frequencies above 10 kHz anymore! That's why they use the 'SSIYS' technology (as MrsHop describes it) without hearing their result themselves at all! Maybe it would be a good idea if they hired some young people for their remastering...

Funny! But very true. It seems that the only labels that know how to EQ things nicely these days (or in some cases: *not to EQ things* ) is Rattlesnake and the "no-label"-label.
DAC, Godfather and SODD releases....they are huge disappointments, for the most - really uneccessary, as it's all because of their "EQ man"

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: December 24, 2010 03:38

many thanks Kessie

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: December 25, 2010 22:49

Also in the newsgroups
alt.binaries.boneless
alt.binaries.sounds.lossless smoking smiley

Gr Ray

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home