Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Query Re: 'For Fans Only' Japanese releases- ANY help appreciated! :-)
Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: September 29, 2010 16:33

Hi All,
This is really a question for the few old dinosaurs like me, who still collect factory-pressed boots :-) (or are still interested in 'new' releases):
Really, this is related to another thread, where a new Japanese boot label ('For Fans Only') was being discussed, as they recently released Berlin 1970 in stereo. I thought this subject was worth a separate topic, as they also released the 2nd Frankfurt '73 show- which is a BIG upgrade on the version that VGP released on 'Guten Abend Frankfurt'. It's kind of strange that such good sounding releases are appearing on this label, as only 100 of each is being pressed.
Anyway- to cut a long story short: They've also recently released the 18th Jan '73 Nicaraguan Benefit show & several other titles (eg: 'Cow Palace Tape' '75) & I was wondering if any one out there has heard these (?). If so, are these superior to previous versions?.
The other thing is: Being a 'dinosaur', for all I know- these latest releases may have come from torrents, in which case I'd really appreciate ANY info.
Thanks in advance for any info/ opinions :-).

Re: Query Re: 'For Fans Only' Japanese releases- ANY help appreciated! :-)
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 30, 2010 22:44

No one knows? Come on folks!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 1, 2010 12:16

RE the Cow Palace it might be from a Dime torrent since the Master was posted there by KRW_CO on Wed 17th Feb, 2010 :

ROLLING STONES
COW PALACE
DALY CITY, CA (USA)
JULY 15, 1975

AUDIENCE ANALOG MASTER>DAT>CDR>EAC>FLAC

SET LIST:

DISC ONE:

1: INTRO/HONKY TONK WOMAN
2: ALL DOWN THE LINE
3: IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME
4: GET OFF MY CLOUD
5: STAR STAR
6: GIMME SHELTER
7: AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG
8: YOU GOT TO MOVE
9: CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
10: HAPPY
11: TUMBLING DICE

DISC TWO:

1: IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
2: HEARTBREAKER
3: FINGERPRINT FILE
4: ANGIE
5: WILD HORSES
6: THAT'S LIFE
7: OUTTA SPACE
8: BROWN SUGAR
9: MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
10: RIP THIS JOINT
11: STREET FIGHTING MAN
12: JUMPIN` JACK FLASH

The "funny" thing is I got (from another torrent site) a 2nd gen version of the same exc. tape. This 2nd gen, given away by Freezer, actually sounds better/rounder/fuller than the "Master" posted by KRW_CO.

Go figure...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 1, 2010 12:17

"they also released the 2nd Frankfurt '73 show- which is a BIG upgrade on the version that VGP released on 'Guten Abend Frankfurt'"

I'd love to hear that...

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 1, 2010 12:56

dcba
RE the Cow Palace it might be from a Dime torrent since the Master was posted there by KRW_CO on Wed 17th Feb, 2010 :

ROLLING STONES
COW PALACE
DALY CITY, CA (USA)
JULY 15, 1975

AUDIENCE ANALOG MASTER>DAT>CDR>EAC>FLAC

SET LIST:

DISC ONE:

1: INTRO/HONKY TONK WOMAN
2: ALL DOWN THE LINE
3: IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME
4: GET OFF MY CLOUD
5: STAR STAR
6: GIMME SHELTER
7: AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG
8: YOU GOT TO MOVE
9: CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
10: HAPPY
11: TUMBLING DICE

DISC TWO:

1: IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
2: HEARTBREAKER
3: FINGERPRINT FILE
4: ANGIE
5: WILD HORSES
6: THAT'S LIFE
7: OUTTA SPACE
8: BROWN SUGAR
9: MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
10: RIP THIS JOINT
11: STREET FIGHTING MAN
12: JUMPIN` JACK FLASH

The "funny" thing is I got (from another torrent site) a 2nd gen version of the same exc. tape. This 2nd gen, given away by Freezer, actually sounds better/rounder/fuller than the "Master" posted by KRW_CO.

Go figure...

Does anyone have this,to uplaod here on IORR?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 1, 2010 14:33

dcba
"they also released the 2nd Frankfurt '73 show- which is a BIG upgrade on the version that VGP released on 'Guten Abend Frankfurt'"

I'd love to hear that...

yes me too! one of their best!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 1, 2010 15:29

Eleanor Rigby
dcba

I'd love to hear that...

yes me too! one of their best!

Me toowinking smiley

Posted by: silvertrain ()
Date: October 1, 2010 22:15

To DCBA

<<The "funny" thing is I got (from another torrent site) a 2nd gen version of the <<same exc. tape. This 2nd gen, given away by Freezer, actually sounds <<better/rounder/fuller than the "Master" posted by KRW_CO.

I'm interested in getting your EX version of San Francisco, which I miss
I have the For fans Only Frankfurt CD, a real upgrade, with artwork too

Pls do not ask me to upload it as I am useless with this matter. What I offer you is a simple snail trade. If interested, pls contact me to

silvertrain@telefonica.net

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 3, 2010 22:11

Thank you for the information, mr Hop

I thought that the "for fans only" label did nothing but pressing DIME torrents on CD silvers (or is it CDR? )
Did anybody notice that this label used *my* artwork for their Charlotte 1972 release ?

Anyways, I just placed an order for the Frankfurt 1973 release of theirs; thanks doolittle and Juan for your info

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 13:48 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: October 5, 2010 01:57

Erik_Snow

I thought that the "for fans only" label did nothing but pressing DIME torrents on CD silvers (or is it CDR? )
Did anybody notice that this label used *my* artwork for their Charlotte 1972 release ?

Anyways, I just placed an order for the Frankfurt 1973 release of theirs; thanks doolittle and Juan for your info
See my posting elsewhere: Berlin on "For Fans Only" is the usual source, electronically reprocessed for fake stereo. Not good.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 5, 2010 02:07

dph
Erik_Snow

See my posting elsewhere: Berlin on "For Fans Only" is the usual source, electronically reprocessed for fake stereo. Not good.

Thanks for the info/review, dph. I've finished the download but have not started listening yet

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 5, 2010 12:53

Erik_Snow
dph
Erik_Snow

keeping in mind that this tape circulates for decades now, it´s hard to
imagine that it was available all the time in mono only but sourced from stereo.
so, dave may be right.
anyway, without clear seperation of instruments it's always difficult to find out
if it is fake or not. if it's a good fake I don't mind, but I always want to
know how theoriginal recording sounded like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 12:54 by falo01.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: October 5, 2010 13:23

BTW, an audience recording can never be really stereo IMO...

Date: October 5, 2010 13:50

stereo yes, but not with a seperation of instruments of course.
only some hand clapping audience members can be stereo ;-)

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: October 5, 2010 14:28

Hi All :-)
This is a real 'can of worms' isn't it?. To be fair, I never described this Berlin release as being an 'upgrade'- just that it appeared to be in stereo & that it was described that way on Hotwacks. I stand by my original post, where I said the version of this recording on VGP's 'Roll Over Beethoven' has more 'punch' & bottom-end. It's more a 'sideways grade' imo (I certainly wouldn't call it a downgrade though). The strange thing is: there's no mention of this new version being stereo anywhere on the packaging & you'd think that real, or fake- there'd be some 'bells & whistles' proclaiming it somewhere (?). I mean- I like it, but maybe not as much as the VGP. Ok- I'll stop waffling now! LOL. Just one last point though: These 'FFO' releases were originally described (or thought to be) an off-shoot of the SODD label, but apparently they aren't (according to several Japanese contacts I spoken with).
MANY thanks for everyone's help btw- much appreciated :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 14:29 by MrsHop.

Date: October 5, 2010 15:02

I like it too !

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 5, 2010 16:54

MrsHop
Hi All :-)
This is a real 'can of worms' isn't it?. To be fair, I never described this Berlin release as being an 'upgrade'- just that it appeared to be in stereo & that it was described that way on Hotwacks. I stand by my original post, where I said the version of this recording on VGP's 'Roll Over Beethoven' has more 'punch' & bottom-end. It's more a 'sideways grade' imo (I certainly wouldn't call it a downgrade though). The strange thing is: there's no mention of this new version being stereo anywhere on the packaging & you'd think that real, or fake- there'd be some 'bells & whistles' proclaiming it somewhere (?). I mean- I like it, but maybe not as much as the VGP. Ok- I'll stop waffling now! LOL. Just one last point though: These 'FFO' releases were originally described (or thought to be) an off-shoot of the SODD label, but apparently they aren't (according to several Japanese contacts I spoken with).
MANY thanks for everyone's help btw- much appreciated :-)

yeah - funny how offering this up can open a can of worms! Many thanks - much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home