Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

post : "North American Tour 1972", Boston, Boston Gardens, 18 & 19 July, 1972 (Jailhouse Rock - Dog N Cat Records DAC-026)
Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: April 11, 2010 10:59

Jailhouse Rock (Dog N Cat Records DAC-026)
Boston, Boston Gardens, 18 & 19 July, 1972

Review from [www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

Jailhouse Rock documents one of the more absurd and surreal experiences on the Rolling Stones’ 1972 North American tour. When their flight from Montréal to Boston was diverted to Warwick, Rhode Island, they had an altercation at the airport which lead to Mick, Keith, and three members of the tour’s entourage (Stan Moore, Marshall Chess and Robert Frank) being arrested and jailed.

Through the efforts of Boston Mayor Kevin White, who both spoke to the crowd at the Garden and to the Rhode Island governor, the band were finally released.

Rolling Stone reported “With the crowd perched on the backs of the Garden chairs, the Stones hit the stage at 12:45 AM and plowed into ‘Brown Sugar’ to open up. The show developed loosely - and at times bordering on sloppiness. Charlie Watts, in particular, seemed exhausted. Mick, while displaying all his moves - the struts, the curtsies, the kisses, the confetti and the ciao-ciao waves - was not in his best voice. The performance ended at about 2 AM with ‘Street Fightin’ Man’.”

Boston Gardens, Boston, MA - July 18th, 1972

Disc 1:
Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Love In Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can’t Always Get What You Want
All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler
band introductions
Bye Bye Johnny
Rip This Joint
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Honky Tonk Women

Disc one of this set uses the second tape source to have surfaced for this show. The older source was used for the previous releases including They’re Really Rockin’ In Boston on Vinyl Gang (VGP-020) which was rather poor and cut between the songs. Earlier this year the Exile label also released their set featuring this newer source called Midnight Gamblers (EXM-09A/cool smiley.

Jailhouse Rock sounds much warmer (Exile tend to master tapes to sound very harsh), speed corrected and with a complete “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”. The reports of the band’s sluggish performance are accurate. Mick Jagger makes several references to the delay. “We’re sorry we’re late but you know why we were late. We were thrown in jail for several hours. We’re so sorry you had to be kept waiting” he says before “Rocks Off”.

Before introducing Keith and ”Happy” Mick tells the audience “We’re very pleased to be in Boston. Much better than Warwick. Thank you to the mayor who helped us get out of jail”. They do give a commendable effort but the show loses any steam by the time they play an uninspired version of “All Down The Line”. The tape is clear enough to be very enjoyable and is an interesting piece of history to own.

Boston Gardens, Boston, MA - July 19th, 1972

Disc 2:
Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Love In Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can’t Always Get What You Want
All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler
band introductions
Bye Bye Johnny
Rip This Joint
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man.

The second disc contains the complete following show on July 19, 1972. This concert was previously released Ginsoaked Barroom Queen in Boston on the Weeping Goat record label (PB5105E). This is a two source mix which uses a different source for the first part of the show, up to “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and this second source.

Jailhouse Rock is the first release of the complete second source. The sound quality is several notches below the previous night, being distant and thin sounding. The actual concert is much better however. There is some speculation about a second encore with Stevie Wonder joining the band for “Uptight/Satisfaction”. However the tape runs through to the final announcements and the audience leaving the venue.

Overall this is a very good release and the best these tapes will sound until something better is found. DAC don’t make a mess with the tapes like to create very smooth sounding titles. The artwork is at the usual high standard of this label, thick color glossy inserts with seldom seen photos. The inlay has an interesting picture of Keith and Mick laughing over some JD. Makes me wonder what they were thinking.

2 CD + artwork [www.megaupload.com]

Gr Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-02 11:26 by Keessie.

Re: post : "North American Tour 1972", Boston, Boston Gardens, 18 & 19 July, 1972 (Jailhouse Rock - Dog N Cat Records DAC-026)
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 11, 2010 15:48

Ray, bedankt weer. Een hele mooie lijkt me, met ook mooi artwork.

Re: post : "North American Tour 1972", Boston, Boston Gardens, 18 & 19 July, 1972 (Jailhouse Rock - Dog N Cat Records DAC-026)
Date: April 14, 2010 19:01

kleermaker
Ray, bedankt weer. Een hele mooie lijkt me, met ook mooi artwork.

Het is een hele mooie, Kees thumbs up

Date: April 20, 2010 18:43

Also in the Newsgroups
alt.binaries.boneless
alt.binaries.sounds.lossless smoking smiley

Ray

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: April 20, 2010 20:56

Many thanks!!

Posted by: thibaut64 ()
Date: July 17, 2010 17:20

Thank you

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 21, 2011 13:51

hey my friend,would you re-upload this to megauplaod,,i just listened this,and honky tonk women is missing from my cd.I´m afraid that by an mistake i left that out or i have remastered 2nd show twice smiling smiley

Date: July 23, 2011 23:59

marko
hey my friend,would you re-upload this to megauplaod,,i just listened this,and honky tonk women is missing from my cd.I´m afraid that by an mistake i left that out or i have remastered 2nd show twice smiling smiley

I do it this week thumbs up

Gr Ray

Date: August 2, 2011 11:26

Now on Megaupload

Gr Ray

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: August 2, 2011 11:45

Thanks Keessie.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: August 2, 2011 19:27

thank you ,,comparing the diff sources the 18,7 ,

more audible vocal on the vgp source.but warmer sound on the new source.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home