Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Interview with Mick in today's Independent
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 8, 2008 13:39

[www.independent.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-08 15:40 by Green Lady.

Re: New interview with Mick in today's Independent
Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: November 8, 2008 14:00

Thanks

"partying with the other Stones in Berlin"? ...makes me wonder

Drugs are 'overrated as a creative method' ? What can you say as daddy of teenagers?

Main question not asked: What next?????

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: November 8, 2008 14:05

Thanks for the info - A good read.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 8, 2008 14:27

old!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 8, 2008 14:31

Thanks for that Green Lady.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 8, 2008 14:48

"Don't look at the clouds of tomorrow through the sunshine of today!" is his favorite phrase in these days.

Be careful not to get repetitious...

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 8, 2008 14:54

"Jagger's 1988 U.S. tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sale." Hmmmmmmmm, I don't recall this. What 1988 US tour?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 8, 2008 15:33

bombayturner

"partying with the other Stones in Berlin"? ...makes me wonder

Looks like the interview was done at the time of the SAL preview and printed today to coincide with the SAL release in the UK. Jamesjagger is right - it's actually quite old, but I don't think it's already been published elsewhere.

Re: Interview with Mick in today's Independent
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 8, 2008 16:15

>> "Jagger's 1988 U.S. tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sale." Hmmmmmmmm, I don't recall this. What 1988 US tour? <<

the one that never happened, like the autumn 87 European tour that was canned after Jeff Beck backed out.
we discussed this a while ago and concluded that it was more like plans for a US tour in 87/88
never got off the drawing board due to poor record sales.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 8, 2008 16:35

with sssoul
>> "Jagger's 1988 U.S. tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sale." Hmmmmmmmm, I don't recall this. What 1988 US tour? <<

the one that never happened, like the autumn 87 European tour that was canned after Jeff Beck backed out.
we discussed this a while ago and concluded that it was more like plans for a US tour in 87/88
never got off the drawing board due to poor record sales.

I think that's right. I don't remember any dates ever being announced or any tickets ever going on sale. Probably, they looked at the chart performance of Mick's solo discs and concluded that an areana tour would be a major embarrassment, with Mick possibly having to peform to crowds of 5,000 in places that seat 20,000.

I DO remember Pete Townshend having to cancel a tour of solo arena dates in 1993 because of poor ticket sales, and scheduling a theater tour instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-08 16:37 by tatters.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 8, 2008 16:53

Saw Bill Wyman at his daughter's 16th birthday party with a "bunch of rowdy teens"... That old devil...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 8, 2008 17:02

It includes one of the best Mick quotes ever:

"You don't really want to be doing it all the time. Like when you're young, you think if you're not having sex, you're wasting your time. But as you get older you realise everything has its place."

- Doxa

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: November 8, 2008 21:16

Nice read, thanks GL

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 8, 2008 21:49

Thanks g=for the article.

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: November 8, 2008 22:14

Many thanks for this, Green Lady.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 8, 2008 23:13

That was very interesting, thanks! I'm glad he's matured,because he might not have survived had he given in to excess like so many great talents of the 60's. I'm very happy to hear he was partying with band mates. I was also puzzled by the line about cancelling the 1988 tour because I recall the Webster Hall show being reviewed very positively; I was set to buy tickets and I know lots of my friends were set to go to some of his shows and then suddenly there was no schedule. There has to be more to the story. It must have had something to do with the need to patch things up with Keith and move ahead with the Stones as a priority.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 8, 2008 23:30

I remember hearing a rumour of poor ticket interest but I cant be for certain.
Someone earlier said to the effect Mick would have to play 5000 seat venues instead of 20000-with all due respect to Mick,Keith would and did play smaller venues on his 88 Winos tour and I always loved him for that! Hey, Debra I aint give up on the lottery yet!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home