Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Daryl Jones is he a Rolling Stone or Not?
Posted by: stoneMe ()
Date: October 1, 2008 19:54

Sorry if this has been disgust here before.

Can anyone tell me Why Daryl Jones is not considered A True Member of the Rolling Stones? Afterall he`s played bass for them for nearly 20 years give or take a year or two, That`s more than Brian Jones and Mick Taylor put together yet he`s still treated like an outsider when it comes to Official photo`s or Merchandice. It just seems abit wrong to me.

Just wanted to know how other Stones fans see it

Ever Danced with a One Legged Woman?

Re: Daryl Jones is he a Rolling Stone or Not?
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 1, 2008 19:59

Divide any amount of money by 5 then divide the same number by 4, then ask the same question again.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:01

14 years, not 20. He's been with them since 1994.
He's just not as important as the big four... winking smiley He ain't that legendary Stone, he's just the-man-who-played-with-Miles.

He's not defining their sound.
But I like that man a lot, of course winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 20:01 by Amused.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:02

i know that the stones arent racists at all, but i still believe it has something to do with the fact that he's american and black. he just doesnt fit the picture!

Date: October 1, 2008 20:05

guitarbastard, sorry but I think you completely missed the point... It probably has to do something with the band image (but I think he was never even considered a Stone and there was no such talk about it!), but not his skin color.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:06

no

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:11

I think it has to do with their image, 4 skinny English white boys and a huge, fat, black, american man..

AND it has to do with the fact that Daryl doesn't really have an image. He just stands around and plays, that's it. So did Bill, yeah, but Bill did it in a way he's still famous for!

I think the same question can be asked for Chuck, Blondie, Lisa..

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:11

No, he is in the same line as Chuck, Bernard, Tim, Lisa,....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:12

To me, he's a Stone because he replaced a Stone. Sidemen roles are keyboards, brass, backing vocals, percussion. It doesn't bother me that VOODOO LOUNGE is the only studio album where Daryl played bass on every track because Bill was rarely allowed to play on every studio track after the early days as well.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:12

Amused
guitarbastard, sorry but I think you completely missed the point... It probably has to do something with the band image (but I think he was never even considered a Stone and there was no such talk about it!), but not his skin color.

that's what i ment: because he's black and american he doesnt fit the image. that's all i said. of course it has absolutely nothing to do with racism, but the fact that he's not english and not white is shurely one reason.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:14

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:17

of course not. Darryl is a Stones backing band member. Bill Wyman was and is the Stones bassplayer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 20:18 by carlostones10.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:19

shadooby
Divide any amount of money by 5 then divide the same number by 4, then ask the same question again.

Well, I am sure they don't divide money by 4, but that is not the issue...

Ron has played with the Stones since 74 and he became a regular member during Voodoo if I am not mistaken. Sure, he was on pictures, he was on the covers of the albums, but wasn't a Stone. Correct me if I'm wrong. So it took him some 20 years...

And Darryl? I don't know, as much as I like him and appreciate his work for the band, he is simply not a Stone for me. Just like Bill still is a Stone for me. And well, when it comes to the contribution to the sound and music, I think that there have been other musicians much more important to the Stones' music in different periods.

As much as I try, I simply can not imagine Darryl to be a Rolling Stone. That way Blondie, Bernard, Lisa, Chuck, Bobby, and the horn section should become the band members too. I can see, that it is normal that such bands have a bass player as a member, but that is not a good reason for me in this case...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 20:20 by Happy24.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:27

>>To me, he's a Stone because he replaced a Stone. Sidemen roles are keyboards, brass, backing vocals, percussion. It doesn't bother me that VOODOO LOUNGE is the only studio album where Daryl played bass on every track because Bill was rarely allowed to play on every studio track after the early days as well.<<

this is an interesting point, to me. I never thought of it that way.
I think Darryl is a fine bassist, and he fits in personally with the Stones so well, apparently. He just does his job.

They sure found the right guy, to replace Bill Wyman, is the way I've always looked at it. He sure can play.
but saying Bill was "rarely allowed" to play on every studio track after the early days doesn't seem quite right..

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:27

Not a Rolling Stone, but an extremely talented musician. And a very nice person.

Date: October 1, 2008 20:31

Addicted
Not a Rolling Stone, but an extremely talented musician. And a very nice person.

yeah, got a handshake and autograph, thrilling moment it was winking smiley

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 1, 2008 20:37

Because he was hired 32 years into their career, just for starters. He functions in a supportive role. He's a competent, versatile bassist who unlike Wyman doesn't have a very distinct style within the RS - however accomplished, flexible, reliable. And he doesn't have the personality, history, geographical or cultural background to be a Stone. The Stones' being English (and white) became essential to their art - that distance, otherness, (musical) passion, and ambition - all essential to what the Stones have been able to achieve, their vision. But this combo of attitude/genius/or band personality is something Darryl does not share.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 1, 2008 21:01

Just throwing this in there for the sake of argument but Ollie Brown and Billy Preston were usually in the Stones group pictures in the mid 70s. And all Ollie did was percussion.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: October 1, 2008 21:05

Not

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 1, 2008 21:12

I stand by my remark that Bill wasn't allowed to play bass on every studio track after the early sixties. Look at the facts, Keith played bass on several cuts in the mid-sixties (a fair amount of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS) and quite commonly played bass at sessions in the late sixties (JJF,SFTD, much of LET IT BLEED). In the early seventies, Keith and Mr. Taylor handled a lot of bass parts on the four albums released during this period. The album liner notes bear this out from LET IT BLEED on. Bill Plummer played bass on several tracks on EXILE and Willie Weeks plays on the title cut of IORR during the same period that Richards and Taylor were regularly playing bass on several cuts per album. True, they allowed Bill to switch to synthesizer some of the time (up through UNDERCOVER), but it still meant he often only played bass on half an album's tracks. The addition of Woody did little to steer Keith away from bass and starting with the SOME GIRLS sessions, Ronnie was getting into the act, too. Robbie Shakespeare played bass on some of UNDERCOVER alongside Keith and Ronnie. Ivan Neville, John Regan, Charley Drayton, and Alan Rogan played bass on various DIRTY WORK cuts. Ronnie plays on several cuts for STEEL WHEELS. Its hardly surprising they opted for half a dozen bass players for BRIDGES TO BABYLON or that Mick started getting in bass playing with A BIGGER BANG. Bill's primary role, like Daryl, was to play bass live. The rigors of the recording process where mixing frequently leave basslines erased often means the guy playing bass on the finished cut is whoever happens to be around to overdub. Additionally, I suspect Keith or Mick Taylor or Ronnie or Mick Jagger (nowadays) take pride in their bass playing and want to leave their contribution on the albuma and see it credited. Jagger certainly feels the same way about his rhythm guitar playing, for that matter.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 1, 2008 21:21

Keith played bass on Brand New Car.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 1, 2008 21:38

The "image" issue is complete baloni.

Where is it said that you need a bassist to shoot a photo?

Who do you think the Rolling Stones are, today? Fact is that since Bill left the group, its only the 4 of them -

As for the rest DJ does have a very distinctive style, and plays the stones his own way. If this wasn't the case we would not have so many people wanting Bill back ...

By the way Jones' bass playing in the stones is absolutely great!

C

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 1, 2008 21:47

He never was, he is not and will never be. Wyman is the only
bass player who is a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 1, 2008 22:25

a hired gun,nothing more-nothing less(just like Chuck). Its my opinion that if ANY sideman is deserving of an honorary Rolling Stone title(in name not money wise!) its Bobby Keys.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 1, 2008 22:26

not sure why there would even be any confusion on this. it's a "no." he's a hired hand and he nor anyone else in the band has any compunction about it.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 1, 2008 22:32

I think Darryl Jones is the most worthy successor to Bill Wyman that one can think of. Did he not play on Keith's solo albums? Darryl does an excellent job. I don't care if he's a stone or not. I do hope he gets paid well.
That part on Rain Fall Down is a real addition to the show. I thought it was great.
What are other projects Darryl is involved in?

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: October 1, 2008 22:34

shadooby

Happy24
Well, I am sure they don't divide money by 4, but that is not the issue...

In terms of how the profit made from touring and record sales is divided (after the expenses are deducted, and also the salaries for the backing musicians are paid): Yes, most of the money is split four ways. In some cases it's divided by three because Ronnie doesn't always get an equal share in the proceeds - not from all the companies.
Needless to say Darryl (there are 2 R's) Jones is not officially a Rolling Stone, he's a musician that's on the payroll, like Lisa, Bernard, Bobby, Chuck etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-01 22:37 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 1, 2008 23:04

shadooby

You could be on to something there. Someone else mentioned Ron Wood was not an official Rolling Stone for a LONG time. This absolutely true.

Daryl holds a core position in the band on and off stage. The fact they picked him speaks volumes as to his abilities and his tenure with Miles Davis further bolsters my the case. We should give the man the propers he deserves as a player

As multicultural as the entire band is his race or ethnic background has nothing to do with it. Dollars and Pounds Sterling seem to be the real issue.

Mathmetics, what a powerfull tool. Let revisit that calculation shadooby provided

(Five / by net 100's of millions) / 14 years = One heck of a bunch of money for five core members

or

(Four / by net 100's of millions) / 14 years = One heck of a bunch more money for the four members

CBII

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 1, 2008 23:09

Darryl got the job of playing bass for The Rolling Stones because Charlie liked him the most. That ends that question right there. The other things are obvious - he's not a Stone, blah blah blah. He records on the records but like it's been pointed out, not on all the songs, as a matter of fact, he didn't record all the bass tracks on Voodoo (as far as I can recall he didn't play on Brand New Car, that is way obviously Keith, whether you read the liner notes or not) and we all know there were loads of others on Bridges, he did play on the Licks tracks and some of the Bang tracks, but he is their live bass player. He seems to play the bottom end more, which I like - nothing against Wyman, I just think he makes the Stones sound a little bit heavier, which I like. He adds his own touch to whatever Wyman lines he covers - he does a great job considering who he replaced as far as that role goes.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 1, 2008 23:30

guitarbastard
i know that the stones arent racists at all, but i still believe it has something to do with the fact that he's american and black.

Youre second point totaly contradicts your first one.

Its got nothing to do with racism - its capitalism.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home