Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Undercover 25th anniversary
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 8, 2008 17:13

Great read!

Undercover

C

Re: Undercover 25th anniversary
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: September 8, 2008 17:21

“The Stones get funky. And that’s funky in the same way geography teachers are funky."

haha rotfl!

good reading indeed, thanks. I don't like Undercover at all but the article is very nice and the author did a real research on that!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 8, 2008 17:25

I like Bill's comment on the damn bootleggers ruining it for everyone! HA HA!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 8, 2008 18:32

Seems like yesterday.....

After reading it...no surprise that only a few songs ever made it into
the setlists. Undercover entered in '89. Wanna Hold You...years later.
She Was Hot in 2005.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 8, 2008 19:30

I like the album. And like some previous thread, it was probably the last true adventure in the studio for the Stones as far as breaking new ground. Perhaps the only one since Undercover to do anything new (different) was Bridges To Babylon.

Posted by: turnersmemo ()
Date: September 8, 2008 21:28

My first stones album. Still like it!

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: September 8, 2008 21:49

I didnt know Too Tough was released as a single. Is that true?
Anyone have the 45?

Undercover1

Date: September 8, 2008 21:59

yeah it was, Miss You as a b-side, 3 Jul 1984, #14 on mainstream rock chart winking smiley

Date: September 8, 2008 22:02

Was there a cover for it? Never knew that either! That's very interesting. I'd of thought they would have actually released All The Way Down as a single.

Date: September 8, 2008 22:09

skipstone there has to be a cover but I don't own it, what's more can't find too much info on the net...

Date: September 8, 2008 22:12

Eh yeah, I couldn't find anything either. In fact, none of the websites even have Too Tough listed as a single that I think of. That's funny!

I guess that means it could have gone on Jump Back or Licks. Ha ha.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 8, 2008 22:14

I like this one...I like it all...the last killer album

Date: September 8, 2008 22:22

Compare Undercover with Dirty Work and one would think it's not The Rolling Stones. In fact, compare Undercover with any of their albums up to Bridges or Bang and one might think it's not the same band.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 9, 2008 06:54

So would that mark the silver anniversary of the beginning of the end?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 9, 2008 07:02

thanks liddas for the link. It does really seem as if the harsh reception of that album put an end to the band as a working unit.

where is Thompson getting all those working song titles from?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 9, 2008 09:04

interesting picture of Charlie...

Date: September 9, 2008 10:19

Great album. They broke new ground. Feel On Baby, the title track, She Was Hot, Pretty Beat Up, Tie You Up, Too Tough, All The Way Down, Too Much Blood. All great, great tracks, imo.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 9, 2008 11:02

Great article. I wonder about all the outtakes that are named by the author. A lot of them
don't ring any bell here. Does anybody know if bootlegs exist from the undercover-recordings?

Although the album is not really a favorite (I think it is one of the very few albums
of the Stones that mildly suffer from sounding dated, together with Bridges to Babylon)
I really dig a lot of the songs. Maybe Keith is right, there was too much production
work involved in the proces.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 9, 2008 11:51

i always loved undercover - maybe the last time they sounded really "modern", up to date.

for me it doesn´t sound more dated than other stones albums. my favourites: undercover of the night, she was hot, too tough.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 9, 2008 13:41

I think the picture of Charlie is from earlier.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 9, 2008 15:22

That shot of Charlie is from 1978.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 9, 2008 15:28

>> I wonder about all the outtakes that are named by the author. A lot of them
don't ring any bell here. <<

well, since he ends the first list of outtakes/working titles by getting the title of an official track wrong,
i wouldn't worry too much about it ... but yeah, some of the ones he lists are new to me too, so it's intriguing.

i love this album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-09 20:58 by with sssoul.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 9, 2008 16:08

Undercover1
I didnt know Too Tough was released as a single. Is that true?
Anyone have the 45?

Undercover1

I didn't know it either. Too Tough came on my iPod this morning at the gym. What a kick-ass track. Every member has his standout points in the mix (assuming Bill played the bass part) and the whole thing just roars.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 9, 2008 19:44

From the day it was released it has remained in my top 3 Stones albums. To date the most aggressive and sexual Stones album, and Jagger hits his absolute best here.

Mathijs

Date: September 9, 2008 19:56

You know what Mathijs? I agree. One of the first I ever owned, still enjoy it today.

Still wondering about this "too tough " single tho. maybe it was just released to radio as a single. Not quite sure. Rockman or maybe georgelicks may have some insight!!

Undercover1

Date: September 9, 2008 20:48

The link won't open anymore. What was the title he/she/they got wrong? I didn't catch that.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:54

>> What was the title he/she/they got wrong? I didn't catch that. <<

"She's So Hot"

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:37

Undercover1
You know what Mathijs? I agree. One of the first I ever owned, still enjoy it today.

Still wondering about this "too tough " single tho. maybe it was just released to radio as a single. Not quite sure. Rockman or maybe georgelicks may have some insight!!

Undercover1

Too Tough was released as a radio single, it reached #14 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks. On the same chart, Undercover Of The Night reached #2 (#9 on the Hot 100), She Was Hot #4 (#44 on the Hot 100), Too Much Blood #38 and Think I'm Going Mad #50.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 9, 2008 23:20

georgelicks
Undercover1

Undercover1

Too Tough was released as a radio single, it reached #14 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks. On the same chart, Undercover Of The Night reached #2 (#9 on the Hot 100), She Was Hot #4 (#44 on the Hot 100), Too Much Blood #38 and Think I'm Going Mad #50.

I also remember seeing the Too TOugh single in jukeboxes.,,while in college in '84.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 10, 2008 04:46

it's funny, for some reason I always seem to ask georgelicks, Rockman or one of the other experts for help, and amazingly they always respond with an answer or at least an opinion...... thanks guys.

now another question..........does anyone have the Too Tough radio 45 (or jukebox 45)??? maybe stone-relics?

undercover1

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home