Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 6, 2009 15:52

Nikolai
tatters
Who cares if Sticky Fingers sounds horrible? ABB is gonna sound fantastic!

Of course, I can hear the irony dripping from finger to keyboard ....

Yes. I think I see a pattern. The worse the music, the better it will sound.

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 6, 2009 16:30

I don't....

They screwed up. I might give IORR a try. I just doubt - what, just because it's louder it sounds better? That's basically what it sounds like. How does one take an album from 1973 and make it sound 'up to date' in 2009? By making it LOUDER?

BULLSHIT.

Where is this 'mix' thing coming from? No mix has changed. Nothing was remixed. I don't get it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 6, 2009 16:42

skipstone
I don't....

They screwed up. I might give IORR a try. I just doubt - what, just because it's louder it sounds better? That's basically what it sounds like. How does one take an album from 1973 and make it sound 'up to date' in 2009? By making it LOUDER?

BULLSHIT.

Where is this 'mix' thing coming from? No mix has changed. Nothing was remixed. I don't get it.

Right. Remixing and Remastering are two completely separate processes.

Date: May 6, 2009 16:46

That's what I never understood about this 'remixing' for some of the tracks for Sucking In The Seventies. They sound like the LP mixes only edited shorter to be, gee, 45 B-sides...which is all they were anyway. Why edit Time Waits For No One to be shorter for a silly compilation? I DON'T KNOW. Makes no sense to me. That's why I'm convinced they are the 45 edits and nothing else.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 6, 2009 17:53

tatters
Nikolai
tatters
Who cares if Sticky Fingers sounds horrible? ABB is gonna sound fantastic!

Of course, I can hear the irony dripping from finger to keyboard ....

Yes. I think I see a pattern. The worse the music, the better it will sound.

LOL.

I've given the CDs another listen.

I've ranked them in order of preference.

Black & Blue - basically the Virgin version turned up a notch - not so as you'd really notice. Artwork is fine: crisp, clear reproduction. Not worth getting if you have the Virgin version or the Mickboy remaster, which is still the best sounding Black & Blue to me. Still, in all honesty, this sounds pretty damn good to me. A couple of additional percussive details have been brought out on Hand of Fate. Memory Motel sounds terrific. And Hot Stuff will have even the most anti-disco of you strutting your big flat feet. Even Cherry O Baby - a song I've always skipped in the past - sounds wonderful too. Love it! Rating: 9.5/10.

IORR - most of the songs sound great. The first three songs pack a spectacular wallop. Til The Next Time We Say Goodbye - never my favourite - actually has more depth to it. Unfortunately, Time Waits For No One and Fingerprint File are a tad distorted. Which utterly sucks because they're my favourite songs on the album. Artwork is identical to the Virgin version - except the cover looks like it was scanned. Again, stick to the Virgin or Mickboy versions. Rating: 6/10.

Sticky Fingers & Goats Head Soup - These sound like they were mastered by a deaf, drunk teenager using Nero. Way too loud, to the point where they sound distorted and are really hard to listen to everywhere. The censored version of Star Star is an insult to Stones fans everywhere - on a par with the edited Rocks Off on Live Licks. Artwork on Fingers is dire. Half the band photo? Yuk. These really do sound like they were worked on by a completely different person. Virgin and Mickboy for both of these definitely. Rating: 0/10.

In short, none of these CDs are essential purchases if you already have the previous versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 17:55 by Nikolai.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2009 18:15

"These sound like they were mastered by a deaf, drunk teenager using Nero"
Love it! thumbs up
And Universal's going to wonder how the hell B&B is their top-seller while SF sinks LOL!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2009 18:20

Nikolai

Thanks for the superb review!! Any noted differences in regards to Luxury or IYRWTBMF?

Date: May 6, 2009 18:33

Chris Fountain
Nikolai

Thanks for the superb review!! Any noted differences in regards to Luxury or IYRWTBMF?

Just for you, Chris ...

IYRWTBMF sounds good. Punchy without sounding thunderous. Backing vocals nice and clear.

Luxury sounds a tad distorted, although not as badly as Sticky Fingers and GSH.

I should point out that Jagger's vocals are really upfront on Time Waits For No One, which is fine. Some great colouring on the percussion too, which has been brought out too - to great effect - but the guitar is a mite distorted, and that song is all about Taylor's virtuoso playing. I should also point out that the drumming/tapping at the beginning and end sound wrong. I recall the tapping intro fading in and being more prominent on the Virgin and vinyl versions, whereas it's mixed too low here. As for the tapping outro, it seems to have been pasted onto to the end of the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 19:50 by Nikolai.

Date: May 6, 2009 18:59

Thanks, and please one more general question?

Are the better makeovers comparable to the crisp and clean sound of the original Tattoo You recordings?

Again many thanks!

Date: May 6, 2009 19:50

Chris Fountain
Thanks, and please one more general question?

Are the better makeovers comparable to the crisp and clean sound of the original Tattoo You recordings?

Again many thanks!

In a word - NO!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 6, 2009 20:15

The difference in IORR, to me, is slight. Nevertheless, they actually did some tweaking around, it seems. Nothing major. Except of course for the VOLUME. Holy moly...the highest I comfortably keep my stereo's volume is at 17 (it goes all the way up to 30). I put IORR on and BAM...felt like it was on 25. After that, the first thing I noticed was the bass. There it was grooving away...perfectly audible for the first time, it seems to me.

Guitars are little bit more upfront. Overall, it feels like they cleared some of the cobwebs off these recordings, dusted them off and polished them up. They're not brand spankin new...but still cleaner. Got Black and Blue also and didn't notice any SIGNIFICANT changes. Volume of course was pumped up. And a little dusting off too. But nothing earth shattering.

Didn't buy the others thanks to the informative reviews above. I'm happy with what I got. They're two of my favorite albums so it was an easy buy..

Date: May 6, 2009 21:18

Justin
The difference in IORR, to me, is slight. Nevertheless, they actually did some tweaking around, it seems. Nothing major. Except of course for the VOLUME. Holy moly...the highest I comfortably keep my stereo's volume is at 17 (it goes all the way up to 30). I put IORR on and BAM...felt like it was on 25. After that, the first thing I noticed was the bass. There it was grooving away...perfectly audible for the first time, it seems to me.

Guitars are little bit more upfront. Overall, it feels like they cleared some of the cobwebs off these recordings, dusted them off and polished them up. They're not brand spankin new...but still cleaner. Got Black and Blue also and didn't notice any SIGNIFICANT changes. Volume of course was pumped up. And a little dusting off too. But nothing earth shattering.

Didn't buy the others thanks to the informative reviews above. I'm happy with what I got. They're two of my favorite albums so it was an easy buy..

IORR - the track - sounds particularly punchy. As it should.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 21:43

These remasters would have been so much better if they didn't jack the volume up so high. It's causing several songs to distort either vocally or musically (example - Coming Down Again is completely unlistenable due to distorted vocals). I'm completely shocked these remasters were approved for release. Where's the quality control? Universal remasters have been among some of the best, so it's stunning they dropped the ball with the Stones of all people.

Date: May 6, 2009 22:00

ajc68
These remasters would have been so much better if they didn't jack the volume up so high. It's causing several songs to distort either vocally or musically (example - Coming Down Again is completely unlistenable due to distorted vocals). I'm completely shocked these remasters were approved for release. Where's the quality control? Universal remasters have been among some of the best, so it's stunning they dropped the ball with the Stones of all people.

I was very surprised - not to mention thoroughly disappointed/dejected - at how crap SF and GSH sounded. Again, I expect a certain level of quality with Universal (they of the great sounding "Deluxe" editions etc etc).

I doubt The Stones had anything to do with the remasters. This is the same group who let a sodding roadie overdub guitar on their live albums, and who approve the release of an uber-shoddy Rarities album - which was "rare" as in, not well done.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 22:50

It would be interesting to know if Mick and Keef gave their thumbs up to these remasters?

I remember an interview with Keith about the Virgin remasters where he said he sent the lot back to be redone as it didn't sound right, whereupon they found a fault with the remastering machine. Given his supposed involvement, you have to wonder why he would allow something to go out this compressed.

All that said, ABB was about as compressed as you can get and he let that one out. Maybe he no longer has any sway.

I don't know what Mick's involvement would be? I'm sure he is a perfectionist and I can't imagine him letting stuff go out without approving it. Maybe the terms of their new contract with UMG means they no longer have say over the back catalogue?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 22:51

ajc68
and who approve the release of an uber-shoddy Rarities album - which was "rare" as in, not well done.

LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 22:52 by sjs12.

Date: May 6, 2009 23:15

sjs12
It would be interesting to know if Mick and Keef gave their thumbs up to these remasters?

I remember an interview with Keith about the Virgin remasters where he said he sent the lot back to be redone as it didn't sound right, whereupon they found a fault with the remastering machine. Given his supposed involvement, you have to wonder why he would allow something to go out this compressed.

All that said, ABB was about as compressed as you can get and he let that one out. Maybe he no longer has any sway.

I don't know what Mick's involvement would be? I'm sure he is a perfectionist and I can't imagine him letting stuff go out without approving it. Maybe the terms of their new contract with UMG means they no longer have say over the back catalogue?

I don't think this is anything contractual. They simply don't care. I think their attitude is that a). Universal are only going to have the rights for five years anyway, and "only" paid $7 million for the albums, b). their fans will already have the albums anyway - three or four times over - and probably won't want to buy them again, and c). CD technology is about to be obsolete anyway.

I dread to think what Exile will sound like.

And while I'm at it, this may all be a cynical ploy on the part of Universal/The Stones. Release crap sounding CDs at full price, then announce that "whoops", there was a manufacturing glitch and the CDs have been recalled. This happened with the New Order reissues after people complained. Wouldn't put it past them.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2009 23:18

"Where's the quality control?"
Imho and to the best of my limited tech knowledge nowadays CD mastering is made by a 25 y.o. guy with a Phd in computers. The "master tape" might be in fact a huge binary file.
A few clicks on the keyboard, a few curves on the screen and voila! GHS is mastered winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-07 01:05 by dcba.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:23

Keef's absence on the back cover of the new edition of Goats Head Soup is a good enough reason for me to pass on buying it. Is Keef's photo inside, at least?

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:39

Monkeylad
Keef's absence on the back cover of the new edition of Goats Head Soup is a good enough reason for me to pass on buying it. Is Keef's photo inside, at least?
On the back of the CD booklet,just like the Virgin.Pretty lame,huh?

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:47

Here's the email address for Universal Music feedback:

communications@umusic.com

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 7, 2009 04:52

i guess i'll wait until 2014 for the next round of re-re-re-re-re-re-releases and maybe then they will have an extra 5 seconds added on to every track.... the count- in maybe or the fade- out---YEA!!! can't wait!! 41 pages!!!! WOOOOOOOO-----dogies!!

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Date: May 7, 2009 06:00

The news is disheartening.

I haven't been this disappointed since the RS.com ticket fiasco during the Licks Tour.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: May 7, 2009 06:10

Chris Fountain
The news is disheartening.

I haven't been this disappointed since the RS.com ticket fiasco during the Licks Tour.

Hey, I remember that fiasco! Those jerks at RS.com tried to blame ME when someone hacked into their system and stole my presale code. Man...I get ticked off all over again just thinking about it...Okay, better now.

Date: May 7, 2009 06:28

All of this seals it - not buying ONE of them.

HA HA! Virgin all the way!

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: May 7, 2009 08:07

skipstone
All of this seals it - not buying ONE of them.

HA HA! Virgin all the way!
The remastering seals it-I'm buying ALL THE 14 UMG REISSUES!!!!hot smileyhot smiley

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 7, 2009 14:34

just got Goats Head Soup, paid 17euros.

lets start with the case. there is a red tongue sticker on top left with "rolling stones remasters goats haed soup etc.." written on it. It Is the super jewel box just like the new cds, istead of the old normal one of the virgin edition. The booklet is the same of the old virgin, but colors looks lighter. Even the graphic on the cd looks almost the same.
I just listened once to it. The first thing you notice that is LOUD. louder than old one. sometimes it seems that if you turn the volume real up, vocals are a bit distorted. i just cant tell if it sounds actually BETTER, needs more accurate listen, will let u know..

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: May 7, 2009 15:40

ajc68
Here's the email address for Universal Music feedback:

[email protected]

Thanks for the address, I just sent them an email.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 7, 2009 17:08

Thanks for the reviews I've been reading on here.

Picked up Black and Blue today, primarily because I couldn't find Vigin copies of it and thus have never heard it (along with Emotional Rescue, Dirty Work), so this set of re-issues is quite well timed for me, and because it seems to be the only one that got through this whole process in one piece.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 7, 2009 17:33

dcba
"each version is just what the Stones wanted at the time each was made"
A very diplomatic way to say "Crap? Sure it is! But y'know I just obey orders, man!"

yes... "very diplomatic"...politically correct

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home