Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "new" pic of the stones/mick taylor kansas 1981
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 11, 2009 10:12

deadegad
Was his guitar plugged and audible?

From Ian McLagan's autobiography "All The Rage":
"I hadn't seen Mick since he sat in with The Stones in Kansas City in 1981.
They'd plugged his guitar cord into an amp directly behind me that night, but as he was at least thirty feet away at the front of the stage, he could hardly hear it, so he cranked the volume all the way up.
I've never heard anything louder than the sound that came from that amp in my whole life and I ran from the stage to protect my ears and wouldn't go back on until he left the stage."

He must have come back for Satisfaction (judging my the baloons), because both Mac and Taylor are playing in this photo:

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: July 11, 2009 11:42

Mathijs
Fantastic pics. It's great to see that the Stones once were a "normal" R&R band, and not Rock Royalty. I love the stage, the equipment dumped on it, the monitors in front, the cables all over -this is a band of mortals playing the best R&R in the world. Btw, I never realized how "small" some venues of the '81 tour were.

Mathijs

Couldn't agree more!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 11, 2009 12:14

yes a very simple stage where rocking was the only important thing. It is strange how nowadays we are used to big stages, fireworks... and when a band appears on naked stage you say to yourself that something is missing ! however only the music counts. Some bands avoid the barnum. Cure or Depeche Mode were able to resist to that.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 11, 2009 13:24

These are such great pics !Never saw them neither
The one you've posted ,kait ,is even a special one because it's nice to see Taylor's smile ,he was always so concentrated and serious on stage !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: July 11, 2009 14:21

Well Kemper Arena is a horrible venue. And at the time it was either play there or try to book a gig at Arrowhead Stadium in the early fall before it get's cold here. Not easy with the baseball stadium across the parking lot. Now that the new arena is open we'll see if they play in Kansas City.

Re: "new" pic of the stones/mick taylor kansas 1982
Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: July 11, 2009 16:30

BTW - why is it that they avoid KC? I've also noted dates in Omaha ...

Posted by: kait ()
Date: July 11, 2009 17:42

SwayStones
These are such great pics !Never saw them neither
The one you've posted ,kait ,is even a special one because it's nice to see Taylor's smile ,he was always so concentrated and serious on stage !

maybe because he never had the chance to play (baloons)soccer) with ronnie

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 11, 2009 23:34

Britney

Pic of the Stones with Mick Taylor in 1981 Kansas

And there's more at:
[www.oakparkhistory.com]

>grinning smiley<went to the link; Britney these are priceless ty much! never saw a one of these...purty cool; mostly ron era shots...so fantastic to see this stage and perspective...stu in the lights, just working it out on that grand smoking smiley
some cool shots of keyboard setups with mac and stu..love these.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 16, 2009 22:38

mtaylor
Gazza
Mick Taylor's birthday is 17th January, not 14th December. (so, he's a Capricorn, not a Sagitarrian, like Keith. The only star sign which is common to two band members is Gemini - Ronnie and Charlie)

Keith and Bobbny Keys are both Sagitarrians born on the same day 18/12 same year 1943 - Keith has stressed that several times. How much closer can you get - and Keys is an almost band member, has been with the Stones since 1969.

Wasnt exactly with them too much between 1973 and 1989....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 17, 2009 19:09

Max'sKansasCity
The Teacher said names, dates, citys and states would be on the final exam, so if you are studying,........

The state is Missouri
The city is Kansas City
The year is 1981

....and for extra credit, it was Mick Taylors Birthday, when he he played on Dec 14 1981..
the Stones also played on Dc 15th, but Taylor did not play.

The Stones hate Kansas City.
They played more concerts in single citys on the BB tour ( eg LA, Chicago and Boston) than they have EVER played in KC, total.

They even went so far as to play an BB tour date in WEEcheeta KS to avoid playing in Kansas City.
why do the stones hate kansas city?

Date: July 17, 2009 19:18

mick taylor in the one photo from kansas city is playing a gibson sunburst les paul .does anyone have details about that .the other photos from 12/14/81 show him playing the epiphone coronet if i am correct?as far as the amp that he played directly into that was not miced into the pa was it his old ampeg or a mesa boogie ?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 17, 2009 23:31

The Greek
mick taylor in the one photo from kansas city is playing a gibson sunburst les paul .does anyone have details about that .the other photos from 12/14/81 show him playing the epiphone coronet if i am correct?as far as the amp that he played directly into that was not miced into the pa was it his old ampeg or a mesa boogie ?

Taylor still played both LP's he had used with the Stones in '72 and '73. He used the one he used in '73 on most Bob Dylan gigs, and the one he used in '72 on the Kansas City gig and Alvin Lee tour in '81.

The amp used in Kansas was one of the bands Boogie Mk 1 amps.

Mathijs

Posted by: django ()
Date: July 18, 2009 00:09

Here is another one. Not the best quality but ...

MT is in clearly the focus of the camera respectively of the photographer.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 18, 2009 02:04

A shot in there of Stu, Mac and I believe Chuch Magee in the background(?). My ex knew his wife in LA in the late '70's. She was very nice and cool in a good way about the band.

Date: July 18, 2009 02:51

kait
don't know if this one has ever been posted:

F a n t a s t i c pics! I had put off looking at this thread...I dunno why.
One can only dream that their 50-yr anniv concerts will look like this. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: July 18, 2009 05:00

The Stones have played in KC in 72,75,81 (twice),89,99. Not alot but do NOT believe they HATE KC. Now supposedly Led Zep DID as they MAY have been booed at their 69 show there and never came back.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 18, 2009 05:01

why not play the 80k arrowhead stadium in KC instead of this ban box?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-18 05:02 by melillo.

Date: July 18, 2009 05:22

melillo
why not play the 80k arrowhead stadium in KC instead of this ban box?
Because the temp in KC in December can range from 0 to 50 degrees F. Have even had snow/ice storms in Dec. They did play Arrowhead in 75(June), 89 (Sept)

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 18, 2009 05:27

Was at this show,I think in december.It was freezing cold out and I think buy then they were done with the outside shows. Kemper arena, I think holds around 20.000 thousand and the sound wasnt the best.So trying to hear what Taylor was playing was next to imposiable.I think Taylor was in town doing a show at the Grand Emporium,a blues joint that holds mabey 150 people tops.

Date: July 18, 2009 05:34

ohcarol
Was at this show,I think in december.It was freezing cold out and I think buy then they were done with the outside shows. Kemper arena, I think holds around 20.000 thousand and the sound wasnt the best.So trying to hear what Taylor was playing was next to imposiable.I think Taylor was in town doing a show at the Grand Emporium,a blues joint that holds mabey 150 people tops.
I was also there. MT played a show with Alvin Lee the night before. I remember hearing the dj s on KY102 speculating if MT would play with the Stones that night. My first ever Stones concert AND saw MT!! Very cool

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 18, 2009 05:40

well of course i meant at a different date of the tour man cmon

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: July 18, 2009 06:03

I was there - MT was playing at the Uptown theatre (which holds 2000 or so) with Alvin Lee - which my current girlfriend was at on the 12th or 13th. We figured there was some chance he would show up.

It was good - but really lent to an air of jamming that was fun but sucked some of the immediacy and energy from the arrangements. But LIB was just killer, remember Keith and Ron standing center stage in the middle of LIB face to face just chugging out the rhythm, my girlfriend looked at me and said, 'man that sounds good ...'! She was right.

Date: July 20, 2009 19:23

Mathijs
The Greek

Taylor still played both LP's he had used with the Stones in '72 and '73. He used the one he used in '73 on most Bob Dylan gigs, and the one he used in '72 on the Kansas City gig and Alvin Lee tour in '81.

The amp used in Kansas was one of the bands Boogie Mk 1 amps. thank you for your reply.greatly appreciated . i have the soundboard for this special stones concert ,and to me this is the HOLY GRAIL for stones concerts .RICHARDS,TAYLOR and WOOD all sharing the same stage together .for me does not get any better than that .

Mathijs

Date: July 20, 2009 19:32

Mathijs
The Greek

The amp used in Kansas was one of the bands Boogie Mk 1 amps.

Mathijs
thank you for your reply.greatly appreciated.to me this is the holy grail for stones concerts.TAYLOR,RICHARDS,AND WOOD all sharing the same stage together!!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home