Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bricklayers Arms & Station Hotel
Posted by: Nellcote ()
Date: June 25, 2008 13:45

Hi,

I'm going to visit London this weekend. I would like to see two things: the Bricklayers Arms and the former Station Hotel in Richmond.

Could somebody tell me where exactly can I find these buildings (and what numbering has it). I know that the Bricklayers Arms is in Duck Lane (close to Soho). But what numbering has it? So that I know that it is exactly the correct building.

Hope that somebody have some information.

Thank you.

Re: Bricklayers Arms & Station Hotel
Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: June 25, 2008 14:28

here you go:

1 Kew Rd., Richmond. The former site of the Crawdaddy Club at the Station Hotel. The Stones played their first gig here on February 24 1963, and soon after became the house band.

7 Broadwick St. Former site of the Bricklayer's Arms pub, where some
early rehearsals took place.

Also take a walk to:

Cheyne Walk 4 and 48 and to Edith Grove 102. I was there a couple of months ago. This is walking on holy ground. Stand in front of Edith Grove 102. Think of the old days, Brian and Keith snitching of bottles to pay their bills.

Number 101 was for rent, I told my buddy, if it was 102, I would have rang the bell to get in and see where the boys grew-up.

165 Oxford Street. Site of the first Marquee Club in 1962.
90 Wardour Street was the location of the second Marquee Club in 1971

Olympic Studios, Barnes. From 1963 until as recently as 1998 with "No Security", the Stones recorded/worked on some of their best music here. "One Plus One"/"Sympathy For the Devil" was filmed here.

48 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. Mick's former home in London shared first with Marianne Faithfull, then Bianca

3 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. Keith lived here (center w/white door) with Anita Pallenberg.

1 Courtfield Rd. Brian shared a flat here with Anita Pallenberg in 1967.

33 Mapesbury Rd. Mick and Keith moved into a flat here after moving out of Edith Grove

102 Edith Grove. The ultimate bachelor pad! Mick, Keith, and Brian lived here from 1962-63 in "deplorable"

Downe House in Richmond. This is Mick and Jerry's London-area home.

Royal Albert Hall.

Sticky Fingers is definitely a Stones fans' paradise!

Brixton Prison. Mick was sent here after the Redlands bust.
Wormwood Scrubs Prison. Keith was sent here after the Redlands bust

Head Heart and Balls

Urban Wheel

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 25, 2008 15:39

I'm posting this from work, so this is all from memory:
London locations as a topic is probably referrd to in one of the reference books
and of course other websites. Try the Rough Guide book, if you have a copy.
Here are some others:
Group offices: 5 Church Row, Wandsworth Plain
Former offices:include Maddox Street (the last visible one; also Munroe Street)
Bill: Ripple Records are based on the Kings Road -his website may confirm-he also has a flat nearby I think
Charlie: had a flat at the Chelsea Mansions near the Chelsea Embankment, but I think bought a new one around the time of his cancer scare
Brian: had numerous other flats before he escaped to the country to buy Cotchford FARM -check the biographies
Anita: may have a flat on ?Tile Street - near Cheyne Walk
Ronnie- London house in Wimbledon (I think)
Performance (the film) -filmed at a flat in Lowndes Square Notting Hill?
Sites of the Ealing and Flamingo Clubs??
3 Saville Row and Abbey Road -Beatles shrines
Forgive me for the less than precise-and maybe inaccurate info-hope it helps though.
A full day!!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 25, 2008 16:44

Get the train to Richmond. When you come out of the station, the dark brown building over the road opposite you, called The Bull these days, is the old Station Hotel. To get to the actual Crawdaddy Club you had to go down an alleyway a couple of doors along from the hotel (it's still there, and still leads to the back of the Bull). The first time ALO came to see the Stones, he nearly fell over Mick having a blazing row with Chrissie Shrimpton in the alley.

Ronnie used to have a house on Richmond Green (1 Maids of Honour Row) and if you're going up Richmond Hill to see Downe House, carry on a bit further and you'll come to The Wick, on the corner of Richmond Hill and Nightingale Lane, where Ronnie lived for some years - and Keith hid out in the staff cottage at the bottom of the garden. Too many things to list (IORR for one) were recorded in the studio there, and these days it belongs to Pete Townshend.

On the other side of the river you can walk along the towpath to Twickenham and imagine the Stones carrying all their gear over the narrow footbridge to Eel Pie Island (there's still no road access so it's still the only way to get goods onto the island). Nothing remains of the Island Hotel - it was at the end of the footpath on the far side of the island, but there's only some boring modern houses there now.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 25, 2008 17:02

there's also Richmond Athletic Ground, up next to Pools On The Park,
adjacent to the A316, in Richmond.

and a short bus/train ride away in Putney, The Half Moon.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 25, 2008 17:10

maybe, a good idea, would be if BV ,created a stand-alone page on the site, called 'Rolling Stones Lodoon Origins and Landmarks' (or something),
where all these sites of interest and directions to them, could be listed, on a permanent basis, which is eeasily accessible, to all.

These questions/queries, regarding THe Stones London origins,
appear on a regular basis, and are of historic interest and importance,
to us, the fans of the band, and in a wider context,
20th century popular music/culture.

....BV?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 25, 2008 18:00

A very good idea indeed !

I'm sure that questions such as these have been posted on numerous occasions and some simple directions as a permanant page would be fantastic . It could also include other well known sites , such as the infamous Sir Morgans Cove in Worcester , MA . I can tell you how to get there !

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 25, 2008 20:15

Urban Wheel

Olympic Studios, Barnes. From 1963 until as recently as 1998 with "No Security", the Stones recorded/worked on some of their best music here. "One Plus One"/"Sympathy For the Devil" was filmed here.

They recorded there from 1966 onwards, Olympic Studios used to be somewhere else. So the early Come On etc sessions took place in another building.

What a bummer though as the building is completely different inside now, they completely gutted it in the 80's after a well respected expert deemed the rooms useless for recording music!?!?!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 25, 2008 20:21

I heard the Crawdaddy Club is now a dance club and is painted black inside? I was there when it was a pub.

Posted by: Sullivan Fan ()
Date: June 29, 2008 13:52

Andrew Loog Oldham lived in Whornes Place in Petersham between 1967 and 1970.
Barry Ryan lived there in the late seventies.
Tommy Steele lived in Petersham for years.

Mick Jagger's dad lived by Ham Common.
So did Keith Relf - singer with the Yardbirds.
Annabel Goldsmith (the nightclub was named after her) lives by Ham Common.
Her neighbour is Princess Alexandra.

All of these are close to Richmond.

Hayley Mills lived in the aforementioned Wick (Pete Townshend's residence) which is opposite Mick Jagger's former residence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home