Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger & Keith Richards Wrote "Midnight Rambler"In Positano .
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 12, 2008 22:15

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 20:56 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards Wrote "Midnight Rambler"In Positano .
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 13, 2008 14:27

Thank ya for postin' this!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 13, 2008 14:49

Interesting. According to Nico Zentgraf they already recorded early versions of Rambler in february and march 1968. I think Mick and Keith were in Italy in early April.

Another thought, I always felt that Boudoir Stomp (Jamming with Edward) was somewhat of a rudimentary version of the middle jam of Midnight Rambler. If it is correct that all the tempo changes were written by Mick and Keith in Italy, that would mean Boudoir Stomp should partially be credited to Jagger/Richards. Now it is a Hopkins, Cooder, Watts composition (if one can call a jam a composition).

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: June 13, 2008 18:02

marcovandereijk
Another thought, I always felt that Boudoir Stomp (Jamming with Edward) was somewhat of a rudimentary version of the middle jam of Midnight Rambler.

Bingo! I had this impression too!

Hmm... Ry Cooder repeating Keiths rhythm changes, without Keith participating? Sounds strange to me, especially when there's so much Ry-touch in the other tracks.

But if I remember right the most obvious resemblance to Midnight Rambler can be heard in the drums. So maybe Charlie was just taking inspiration from a song that was worked upon at the time.

Anyway, I always thought "Jamming with Edward" is an example of Cooder's considerable influence on the Stones in this particular. And Keith has admitted to have been "inspired" by Ry, whatever may be the story behind this particular track.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-13 20:11 by Greenblues.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 13, 2008 18:24

THANKS...I've been really into the studio version of late... very cool track...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 13, 2008 19:53

Rolling Stones - in Milano, 1970
when the song was still pretty fresh

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 13, 2008 20:02

doesn't get any better than that!!!!THANKS....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 14, 2008 00:12

marcovandereijk
Interesting. According to Nico Zentgraf they already recorded early versions of Rambler in february and march 1968. I think Mick and Keith were in Italy in early April.

I take it you mean feb/march 69? If he is saying that I bet it's under 'unverified' ie it's a rumour etc. Anyway if it's true, a rough idea can re-appear as a freshly written song later, it doesn't really go against what Mick says in that interview.

As for Brian being credited as playing congas, he isn't really, just percussion which could mean anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-14 00:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 14, 2008 11:18

i keep trying to get to positano. very difficult by public transportation. i keep getting as far as sorrento but no further south...i knew it was calling me for a reason.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 14, 2008 11:35

>> I think Mick and Keith were in Italy in early April. <<
>> ... a rough idea can re-appear as a freshly written song later, it doesn't really go against what Mick says in that interview. <<

plus which it's not necessarily the case that the April 1969 trip was the only time they went there.
not quite every move they made was documented ... just "almost every" :E

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 14, 2008 12:39

little queenie
i keep trying to get to positano. very difficult by public transportation. i keep getting as far as sorrento but no further south...i knew it was calling me for a reason.

Hey Queenie, I live in Napoli and there are buses from there to Positano. Tell me if you need advise.

By the way, it's no news to me that the song seems to heve been written there; being a Neapolitan of course I'm very proud of it, because it's my all-time favourite song by anyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: June 14, 2008 21:10

Wild Slivovitz
little queenie

Hey Queenie, I live in Napoli and there are buses from there to Positano. Tell me if you need advise.

By the way, it's no news to me that the song seems to heve been written there; being a Neapolitan of course I'm very proud of it, because it's my all-time favourite song by anyone!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks ws! the hydrofoils from napoli and the busses from sorrento run few and far between - or end early in the evening!

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: June 14, 2008 23:11

Hey LQ,

I've been to Positano twice...once as a kid on family vacation and I went back 10 years ago. Drove from Rome, but I will never drive in Rome again !!

Once in Positano, ended up parking the car for the whole time...seems like a waste now. But it was nice to have the car available to take a day trip here and there.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: June 16, 2008 03:45

Doesn't the song live occassionally have slide guitar? I know at Hyde Park Mick Taylor is playing slide guitar on a gibson les paul. At the 1971 show at the Marquee Club he is using a gibson sg but I don't think he is playing slide. I know Ronnie is doing slide on a fender stratocaster at Knebworth in 1976. On many versions I rarely hear slide guitar.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 16, 2008 11:12

His Majesty

I take it you mean feb/march 69?

Yes, sorry 1969 that was.

I would not know whether the boys were in Positano another period of time. If I see the moves of the boys that were documented, I guess there could be a possible time gap between the filming of RnR Circus and the recording sessions in olympic Sound Studios in januari 1969, when they could have been in Italy.
Either then or in the second half of october 1968. Anyone knows where Mick and Keith were in those months?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 16, 2008 11:22

the amalfi coast is beautiful!

[www.romesweethome.it]

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: June 16, 2008 11:56

UrbanSteel
Mick Jagger & Keith Richards Wrote "Midnight Rambler"In Positano .

June 12 , 2008

I think things are getting probably confused here. I once read in an old mag that they wrote Monkey Man in Positano and for instance Nico mentions the original working title of Monkey Man on his site (Positano Grande) which is more than a hint that MM was written there. Midnight Rambler on the other hand was often reported to have been written at the Beggar's session - true or not. But I have my doubts that Mick can recall it anyway ;-)

Date: June 16, 2008 12:17

rocks off
Hey LQ,

I've been to Positano twice...once as a kid on family vacation and I went back 10 years ago. Drove from Rome, but I will never drive in Rome again !!

Once in Positano, ended up parking the car for the whole time...seems like a waste now. But it was nice to have the car available to take a day trip here and there.

i've never driven in europe but i'll make it to positano in summer '10 - the next time the stones tour europe!?

Date: June 16, 2008 15:03

There's no reason to doubt that they wrote MM and MR in Italy during the same trip, atleast what proof is there about MR that really clashes with Micks memories!?

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: June 17, 2008 09:28

That it was recorded for the first time before their trip to Italy?! But this might be no proof at all for you ;-)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 17, 2008 10:49

They should visit Positano more often.

- Doxa

Date: June 17, 2008 14:59

silkcut1978
That it was recorded for the first time before their trip to Italy?! But this might be no proof at all for you ;-)

Can you prove that it was recorded before their visit to italy in April 1969!? And if so, what is lyrically, vocally and musically present in this early version that is also on the final released version?

If some early version was recorded before the trip, that could simply be the B/A/E chords played over and over for example, it still doesn't mean the song wasn't 'written' in Italy.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 17, 2008 15:03

In the book "According to", Jagger says actually this song was written in Positano during vcations with Richards...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 17, 2008 18:43

So what are the verified time or times they were there? If you believe some sources, half of Let It Bleed was recorded for Beggars. Etc...so I dunno.

Does it matter? Huh. Shadoobie.

Date: June 17, 2008 20:11

skipstone
So what are the verified time or times they were there? If you believe some sources, half of Let It Bleed was recorded for Beggars. Etc...so I dunno.

Does it matter? Huh. Shadoobie.

It's said they were there during a break in recording at Olympic Studios during April 1969.

I think the fact that Beggars wasn't released till the end of 68, despite it being ready in July/August 1968 confuses things.

Downtown Suzie being a good example, the released version was recorded in 1969, but it is often put on BB bootlegs and/or mistakenly attributed to the BB sessions. They may have attempted it before, but that version is from 1969.

I don't believe any actual recorded music from those Spring/Summer 68 sessions was carried over and used on LIB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-17 20:18 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home